The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by razbel
After a month of not hearing from any Uni, I got 2 offers last week (Bristol and Leeds). What's the consensus on Bristol?

What course did you apply for at Bristol?
Your stats?
Original post by Skill Twix
What course did you apply for at Bristol?
Your stats?

Economics (L100). I'm from Romania so I'm not sure how relevant this is for you, but my offer is for 9.5;9;9 in the Romanian Baccalaureate. I think it's equivalent to A*AA. My predicted grades were 9.5;9.3;9.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Well, congratulations :smile:
It's all well and good in hindsight to say that you should have put UCL down, but Bristol is still top 10, and the offer makes a nicer insurance than say Birmingham or Leeds IMO.

Thank you!
Do you know what the G5 is btw? Also what QS is?
I read that your chances are significanty higher with the top 5 though for Top institutions.
Not sure if Bristol is on their calibre :/
Anyone applied for Economics at Oxford?

Anyone applied for Economics & Management at Oxford?

I am considering applying for Economics and Management at Oxford and King's (not in this cycle) and Economics, Finance and Management at QMUL (or E & M at Royal Holloway). Then straight management at UCL and LSE.

How would I tailor my PS to cater for all of these? Realistically, if my PS mentions Economics AND Management will it hurt my chances at UCL and LSE if I go for only Management there? They don't offer E & M sadly.

What other unis did you apply to and for what courses? I know a lot of other people apply to Economics at other unis as well at E & M at Oxford. Should my PS basically be half Economics and half management?
Original post by Rkai01
Thank you!
Do you know what the G5 is btw? Also what QS is?
I read that your chances are significanty higher with the top 5 though for Top institutions.
Not sure if Bristol is on their calibre :/

I know what G5 is, but do you mean QS as in rankings?
I do agree that Bristol isn't on the same level, though.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
I know what G5 is, but do you mean QS as in rankings?
I do agree that Bristol isn't on the same level, though.

I saw QS on someone's comment, might be rankings.
So what is G5 please?
Original post by Bobbitt
Anyone applied for Economics at Oxford?

Anyone applied for Economics & Management at Oxford?

I am considering applying for Economics and Management at Oxford and King's (not in this cycle) and Economics, Finance and Management at QMUL (or E & M at Royal Holloway). Then straight management at UCL and LSE.

How would I tailor my PS to cater for all of these? Realistically, if my PS mentions Economics AND Management will it hurt my chances at UCL and LSE if I go for only Management there? They don't offer E & M sadly.

What other unis did you apply to and for what courses? I know a lot of other people apply to Economics at other unis as well at E & M at Oxford. Should my PS basically be half Economics and half management?

NOOOOOOOO.
Do NOT do this. Universities always stress the importance of applicants not confusing economics with management therefore if you did do half and half it would represent a lack of understanding. I expressed this at an Oxford open day to a E&M tutor and the professor said she understood this and that they do not expect any management to be in your PS. I unfortunately did not get an offer, but I did get an interview and my PS had nooo management in it what so ever! ������

EDIT:
sorry inhave have just read your post property and realise that you are applying for management courses at other unis not straight economics ☺️ The above is more advice if you were applying for straight econ at other unis. I'd say Oxford would probably still prefer for you to talk more about econ than management!
(edited 9 years ago)
What does everyone think is the top 10 rankings for uni's that do straight economics in the UK?
Original post by Rkai01
I saw QS on someone's comment, might be rankings.
So what is G5 please?

Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial make up the G5. It was a funding thing back in 2004.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
GCSEs/PS probably. I doubt his reference was bad.

You applied to Warwick 3 times? :s-smilie:

Really liked the uni and if I didn't get into Cambridge I only wanted to go there. I also thought my ASs were very strong so I thought I'd at least get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aditkulkarni
Nice, what are your stats?

GCSEs
3A*7AB ( B in economics!)
ASs
AAB econ, physics and chemistry and A* A2 maths. UMS 94, 90 78 and 97 respectively.
Doing further maths, econ and physics and predicted 4A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RuairiJH
Really liked the uni and if I didn't get into Cambridge I only wanted to go there. I also thought my ASs were very strong so I thought I'd at least get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you reckon you were rejected because you applied there 3 times, like they weren't sure you were passionate enough for any of the courses?
Congrats on the Cambridge offer! Which college? :smile:
Original post by morale_boost
Thanks,

I'm gonna go to the open day and see what the chances are of me going to my preferred American uni (Columbia/UCLA) in the third year and then make a decision, but I'm pretty sure I'll be firming it yeah

Congratulations on Cambridge btw, really well done!

I'm firming UCL L101 too, I'm also interested to see what the competition for places is like at American Unis -for me it's Columbia>>UCLA/Chicago>UPenn/Georgetown>>>>>>>the rest. To be honest I really have my heart set on Columbia but I'm imagining that this the most popular just because it's an Ivy and it's in New York City. There are only 20 places on L101 though according to the FAQ, and I think 10 different unis you can go to in third year. Wondering if that means that they send two to each? Or maybe they are more flexible? I also read somewhere I think you get priority based on your performance in first/second year.

When's your open day?
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Do you reckon you were rejected because you applied there 3 times, like they weren't sure you were passionate enough for any of the courses?
Congrats on the Cambridge offer! Which college? :smile:

That's a possibility I suppose 😕. Cheers though 😄 offer for St. John's

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going HAM with my economics revision this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a possibility I suppose 😕. Cheers though 😄 offer for St. John's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah a nice big rich college 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait what

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ah a nice big rich college 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not going to lie that was an attractive feature! It was also the college I thought I had the best chance of getting into aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I am revising a lot too.
I am using 6 textbooks.Last year I used 4.
Not going to lie that was an attractive feature! It was also the college I thought I had the best chance of getting into aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I thought it was quite a competitive college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending