The Student Room Group

Issues with housemates and bills

Basicly, I've had to drop out of uni due to cancer. Can't cope with the course due to fatigue, chemo brain and treatment.

I lived in private housing. The landlord has let me out of the contract. But the problem now is getting the housemates to take over the bills and give me back my deposit. I'm the account holder for everything as the housemates couldn't be bothered to sort anything. I've given them all the account details, I said I was going to give them until today to sort it, which meant they have had a month to switch over the Internet, electric water and tv licence to someone else in the houses name. All the companies told me this was fine, as long as one of them phoned to do it otherwise I could just cancel the contracts and they would have to start over, but that means extra costs to the housemates.

Am I within my rights to just cancel it? I don't want to be responsible for getting the money off them every month, they were hard enough to get to pay up for bills when I actually lived there, I'm now back with my parents miles away, this is one more thing I don't need. They don't seem to realise I'm actually really ill and can't handle sorting their bills, in fact they said I'm 'just lazy' for being unable to cope with uni and cancer.
Original post by Pokadot_Panda
Basicly, I've had to drop out of uni due to cancer. Can't cope with the course due to fatigue, chemo brain and treatment.

I lived in private housing. The landlord has let me out of the contract. But the problem now is getting the housemates to take over the bills and give me back my deposit. I'm the account holder for everything as the housemates couldn't be bothered to sort anything. I've given them all the account details, I said I was going to give them until today to sort it, which meant they have had a month to switch over the Internet, electric water and tv licence to someone else in the houses name. All the companies told me this was fine, as long as one of them phoned to do it otherwise I could just cancel the contracts and they would have to start over, but that means extra costs to the housemates.

Am I within my rights to just cancel it? I don't want to be responsible for getting the money off them every month, they were hard enough to get to pay up for bills when I actually lived there, I'm now back with my parents miles away, this is one more thing I don't need. They don't seem to realise I'm actually really ill and can't handle sorting their bills, in fact they said I'm 'just lazy' for being unable to cope with uni and cancer.

If you've given them a month to sort out the bills and they haven't done anything then I would say you are well within your rights to just cancel. Although it may cost a bit more to the housemates its not like they can't create new accounts.
Reading this post made me want to sign up and give you some support.

Sucks you are in the position that you are in currently. Sounds like your housemates really don't care very much. I shuddered when you said you were the account holder for everything..

Jelly1000 is right, give them a month or so. if you already have done then that's fair enough. There's no reason why you should be paying, bare alone being the account holder for everything.

Just pull the plug, and we'll see who's lazy enough to get the broadband back on. This is more down to your social standing with your (ex) housemates, but if you aren't going to be seeing them again then you have nothing to fear.

The deposit.. that will be another matter though. You're still entitled to your share of it back, and i can see that the others may be resentful if you pull the plug on utilities and then you want your share of the deposit back. Best you could do is to ask them to kindly give you your share back or face legal action. Last thing a student wants is some sort of legal action.

I hope this is of some usefulness.
Original post by Pokadot_Panda

In your situation, tbh I would just cancel the contracts. You've given them a chance, and they haven't done it, and you don't need the extra stress right now. If they end up without internet or electricity, that's their problem, not yours.

With your deposit, it should really be your landlord who makes sure it gets back to you, not your housemates.
OP - you have every right to cancel the contracts; you need to put your own health first.

I hope treatment goes well and that you make a full recovery.

We're here to support you :grouphugs:
Original post by Muttley79
OP - you have every right to cancel the contracts; you need to put your own health first.

I hope treatment goes well and that you make a full recovery.

We're here to support you :grouphugs:

Would like to reiterate this post.

If you have any issues ever, need to get something off your chance or just need some chat then TSR is here for you. :jumphug:

Cancel the contracts and let them know that you've done so. Up to them from now on.

Hope all is going well with your treatment. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest