The Student Room Group

I hate alcohol

Scroll to see replies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I'm studying both biology and Chemistry, I'll beat your grades :smile: with hard work hopefully.
Original post by Maria1812
I hate alcohol the things it does to people psyhologicly and physicly. I hate when people complain they have drunk too much and vomit because no one told them to harm their bodies it is their decision alcohol annoys me I sometimes destroys families friendships and relationships. I am annoyed with people who say they will no longer drink alcohol but they do it anyway I don't understand why some pay lots of money for alcohol because htey are not paying for fun or relaxation they are paying for cancer diabetes and other illnesses. There is no point saying alcohol is good in small amounts as most people when they drink they drink a lot and I think the negatives out weight the positives. Apparently alcohol is good for the heart so why does excessive drinking cause heart problems?

I think people who damaged their organs and body because of their selfishness to drink alcohol don't deserve new organs as there are others who need them more because they did not drink and it was not their choice or new organs such as cancers and other diseases not due to alcohol,drugs,smoking. I hate alcohol takers they annoy me I cannot look them straight in the eye how can someone pay or use someone elses money to damage their organs it is not fun or relaxing to damage your health? Please write your opinions on alcohol.

It comes down to the person and how you manage it. I don't understand people drinking vast amounts of diet coke. Even as someone who has to deal with alcoholism, the seizures, the sickness, the moods. I still hate cigarettes more.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
And I wasn't talking about water, don't you think potassium in relatively small amounts would kill us? Yet that is essential for chemical transfers in our body. There are a lot of others like chlorine and sodium chloride, iron, magnesium, calcium etc etc.

That's what I thought I wannabe scientist, philosophy is a bit of rip off, it's like reading around science without actually understanding it then making stupid assumptions about things.

The articles you quoted didn't back up your point so yes you misinterpreted them, you're talking about intoxication due to the liver not being able to break down the substances, but actually (you won't know because you don't drink) you don't get drunk off one pint do you? This is moderate consumption which will not get you drunk and so does not cause inebriation.

Wow you must have been having fun at uni sober while all your ''mates'' were out drinking having a good time :mmm:

Honestly I would give up being a T-total, there are much worse things in life and at the end of the day alcohol isn't going to kill you sooner and you only have one life so might as well have fun :rolleyes:

Great now we have ad-hominems coming out from you. You realise that doesn't undermine anything I've said? Neither does your eye-rolling.

You posted an article on biology wrote by a sociologist and you're calling me a wanna-be scientist? Hahahahaha. You have cheek.

I didn't say you needed to get drunk. We're talking about how moderate drinking affect's one's health not heavy drinking. Whatever it takes to get drunk would presumably be heavy drinking. The point was if drinking alcohol in heavy amounts leads to death, then whatever effect it is doing to cause that will still go on in smaller amounts when you drink less than necessary for death. Why would that result in a positive health effect and not a negative one? I shown you how it would result in a negative one via the way it affects the liver, tell me in way consumption of ethanol has a positive effect. Cholesterol? I already linked a counter-study to that.

Essential or not, they would be toxins according to that definition, look it's just a word. My argument is not in any way hinged on the fact that I call them "toxins", I can call ethanol a beautiful little blood-flower if I wish. It changes nothing.

P.S I realise now they should be called "Toxicants", I blame the doctor in that video I linked earlier for calling them "toxins". Oh, but he was a doctor in biology, surely he cannot be wrong? Oh wait credentials don't make people infallible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by TorpidPhil

You are shaming alcohol consumers, but they ought to be shamed just like any drug consumer. We shame the heroin-taker, we shame the cocaine-taker, we shame the MDMA taker, we shame the alcohol taker, we shame the steroid taker, we shame the khat taker. Why do people choose to draw the line at alcohol? I see no reason for that. All unhealthy life decisions ought to be shamed. That's why I also shame people for being obese. They deserve to be shamed - unless of course they cannot help it, which is why I don't shame people I don't know, but if I know someone to be obese when they have no reason to be, I shame them and so I should. Ultimately they have a choice to be obese or not though, yes some choices are better than others but I think they should still have that choice. I also would tax them extra for being obese though to make them pay for the fact that they are being a disproportionately high weight on the NHS, but that's a different argument entirely and I'm going off topic :P

You're proclaiming all alcohol users should be shamed. Not exactly sure if your wording was intended there, but 'shamed' is a little strong, don't you think? You make an extremely subjective and vague argument.
Original post by JJJC
You're proclaiming all alcohol users should be shamed. Not exactly sure if your wording was intended there, but 'shamed' is a little strong, don't you think? You make an extremely subjective and vague argument.

Shame probably is too strong of a word. I'm totally fine with people consuming it such that it doesn't have any serious impact on their health. Most people don't consume it in that manner though.

Given that they don't, then they ought to be told explicitly that what they're doing is ill-advised. To be honest, shaming non-addicts of alcohol is probably counter-productive. The only point of shaming anyone for anything is to stop them doing it. I don't shame people because I'm a sadist. In reality I only shame addicts anyway.

I shouldn't have been so hyperbolic, my bad. I'm probably prone to that due to how back my upbringing was around alcoholics.

What is the extremely subjective and vague argument?
MDMA >>> Everything
Original post by TorpidPhil
Great now we have ad-hominems coming out from you. You realise that doesn't undermine anything I've said? Neither does your eye-rolling.

You posted an article on biology wrote by a sociologist and you're calling me a wanna-be scientist? Hahahahaha. You have cheek.

I didn't say you needed to get drunk. We're talking about how moderate drinking affect's one's health not heavy drinking. Whatever it takes to get drunk would presumably be heavy drinking. The point was if drinking alcohol in heavy amounts leads to death, then whatever effect it is doing to cause that will still go on in smaller amounts when you drink less than necessary for death. Why would that result in a positive health effect and not a negative one? I shown you how it would result in a negative one via the way it affects the liver, tell me in way consumption of ethanol has a positive effect. Cholesterol? I already linked a counter-study to that.

Essential or not, they would be toxins according to that definition, look it's just a word. My argument is not in any way hinged on the fact that I call them "toxins", I can call ethanol a beautiful little blood-flower if I wish. It changes nothing.

P.S I realise now they should be called "Toxicants", I blame the doctor in that video I linked earlier for calling them "toxins". Oh, but he was a doctor in biology, surely he cannot be wrong? Oh wait credentials don't make people infallible.

To the bit in bold What? I never said anything about cholesterol....

Well it's probably true isn't it? All your friends drink and go clubbing right?

Lmao that's hysterical, getting drunk doesn't constitute heavy drinking :rofl: Especially for someone like you who would get drunk off one pint. Anyway your liver adapts to cope with more alcohol the more you drink.

pfffttt
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
To the bit in bold What? I never said anything about cholesterol....

Well it's probably true isn't it? All your friends drink and go clubbing right?

Lmao that's hysterical, getting drunk doesn't constitute heavy drinking :rofl: Especially for someone like you who would get drunk off one pint. Anyway your liver adapts to cope with more alcohol the more you drink.

pfffttt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Schrodinger why won't you talk to me about your silly decision to promote the wave only interpretation of wave particle duality 😄.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Schrodinger why won't you talk to me about your silly decision to promote the wave only interpretation of wave particle duality .

I'm just a cat I don't know anything about physics
Posted from TSR Mobile

Your no ordinary cat your Schrödingers Cat and you said your a budding physicist.
I love alcohol but due to the brain fog that lasts for 4 weeks. Its not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
It tastes really disgusting, like cat piss. It tastes like fermented horse piss, absolutely filthy, I can't understand how people drink this filth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Illegal Algebra
It tastes really disgusting, like cat piss. It tastes like fermented horse piss, absolutely filthy, I can't understand how people drink this filth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you'll find that after a certain age, usually 16 for most people, it suddenly tastes a lot better

Original post by AsandaLFC
I love alcohol but due to the brain fog that lasts for 4 weeks. Its not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AsandaLFC

Posted from TSR Mobile

never experienced this 'brain fog', even when i had on the upside of 20 units one evening
Honestly?

I'm not too crazy about alcohol from the glass but I consistently use whiskey, rum, Sourz, Bailey's...etc in the kitchen. Alcohol brings a lot of life to dishes, and they only use a little bit of it.

I mean I made Sourz raspberry pies, Jack Daniels honey glaze, coconut rum shrimp and Bailey's chocolate pies.

Alcohol is great but unfortunately, like everything in life, there are people who consume it too much.

Quick Reply

Latest