The Student Room Group

(OCR B) Mechanical Properties - Tough + Hard

We have been doing material properties and I still don't understand the difference between Toughness and Hardness :confused:. We have to produce a presentation on a material (Stainless Steel) for next week but I'm still struggling to explain toughness. Can someone help?

Our college follows the OCR B Advancing physics course. If anyone has done, the materials presentation for and has any tips, then that would be great too:smile:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DarkMask09
We have been doing material properties and I still don't understand the difference between Toughness and Hardness :confused:. We have to produce a presentation on a material (Stainless Steel) for next week but I'm still struggling to explain toughness. Can someone help?

Our college follows the OCR B Advancing physics course. If anyone has done, the materials presentation for and has any tips/examples, then that would be great too:smile:.
Hello and welcome to TSR physics.

You need to be aware that TSR rules prevent discussion and swapping of information directly related to specific practical assessments.

This thread will be closed if the rules are disobeyed.

Right, having said that, you need to think about hardness as the resistance of a material to deformation. i.e. Is a sheet of glass harder than a block of plastic?

Toughness is the resistance of a material to fracture (breaking). Is a sheet of glass tougher than a sheet of plastic?

Viola.

Quick Reply

Latest