The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering - which university to firm.

I have received offers from my top two universities, Liverpool and Sussex.

Liverpool have offered me ABB and Sussex have offered me BBB if I firm their offer, however I am undecided on which to choose.

Any suggestions? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by sophiebeth100
I have received offers from my top two universities, Liverpool and Sussex.

Liverpool have offered me ABB and Sussex have offered me BBB if I firm their offer, however I am undecided on which to choose.

Any suggestions? Thanks! :smile:

I'm a mechanical engineering student at Sussex so if you have any questions shoot away.

Just to add...at Sussex the first year of engineering is general based so you learn a bit of everything which is quite nice and that knowledge is quite handy at interviews where inter-disciplinary knowledge is appreciated hugely by employers! Ultimately though it depends what modules you prefer so have a look at both degrees at both institutions and compare and see what you like best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by a10
I'm a mechanical engineering student at Sussex so if you have any questions shoot away.

Just to add...at Sussex the first year of engineering is general based so you learn a bit of everything which is quite nice and that knowledge is quite handy at interviews where inter-disciplinary knowledge is appreciated hugely by employers! Ultimately though it depends what modules you prefer so have a look at both degrees at both institutions and compare and see what you like best :smile:

Hey! Thanks for replying to my thread - was a great help. Just wondering if you could answer a couple of questions I have on both Sussex in general and the course too.

- How is the teaching? i.e promptness of marking work, feedback, delivery of lectures and quality of practical work etc.
- How is the workload with this course, and how does the difficulty compare with A Levels?
- Which accommodation did you stay in when in halls?
- In terms of private housing, is the commute from Brighton to Sussex a pain?

Thanks so much! Sorry if this is too much, but it's such a help as I'm having a nightmare deciding which university to pick!:confused:
Reply 3

- How is the teaching? i.e promptness of marking work, feedback, delivery of lectures and quality of practical work etc.

Teaching is very good in general, lecturers are very supporting. Although they are one or two lecturers whose accents are hard to understand but I think you'll get this at pretty much every uni...there's always one lol

- How is the workload with this course, and how does the difficulty compare with A Levels?
- Which accommodation did you stay in when in halls?

Workload in the first term was quite high and some weeks it felt like hell as they were so many assignments to hand in and if you are un-organised it's going to bite you in the ass. You will also get to learn to use milling machines and manufacture some items from scrap pieces of cheap metal.

Second term is much more interesting than the first term but is also quite difficult....(I'm currently working on a bridge project at the moment, and am also involved in the global design challenge which is associated with engineering without borders etc.). I pretty much have 9am starts every single day monday to friday and finish as late as 6pm on some days. In terms of workload for second term its much higher but again if you're organised you and do work early you should be alright!

I did a foundation year myself prior to this so it hasn't been that difficult for me...but the maths is definitely a huge step up lots and lots of calculus i.e. integration, advanced trig, matrix manupilation etc.

I stayed in Northfield in my foundation year...i am now off campus though. Northfield was really nice tbh...it was like being in a hotel lol (and thats why its so pricey). The only complaint i have is that sometimes the wifi was a bit ****ty but they fixed this now apparently.

- In terms of private housing, is the commute from Brighton to Sussex a pain?

Thanks so much! Sorry if this is too much, but it's such a help as I'm having a nightmare deciding which university to pick!:confused:

Since this year im off campus and in private accommodation...it is a bit of a pain to commute specifically this term when i have lots of 9ams caz it means i have to manage my time and wake up really early :redface: but in terms of transport links they are good as buses run into the uni all the time but i personally take the train (which again stops right at uni campus).
Reply 4
Original post by a10
Teaching is very good in general, lecturers are very supporting. Although they are one or two lecturers whose accents are hard to understand but I think you'll get this at pretty much every uni...there's always one lol

Workload in the first term was quite high and some weeks it felt like hell as they were so many assignments to hand in and if you are un-organised it's going to bite you in the ass. You will also get to learn to use milling machines and manufacture some items from scrap pieces of cheap metal.

Second term is much more interesting than the first term but is also quite difficult....(I'm currently working on a bridge project at the moment, and am also involved in the global design challenge which is associated with engineering without borders etc.). I pretty much have 9am starts every single day monday to friday and finish as late as 6pm on some days. In terms of workload for second term its much higher but again if you're organised you and do work early you should be alright!

I did a foundation year myself prior to this so it hasn't been that difficult for me...but the maths is definitely a huge step up lots and lots of calculus i.e. integration, advanced trig, matrix manupilation etc.

I stayed in Northfield in my foundation year...i am now off campus though. Northfield was really nice tbh...it was like being in a hotel lol (and thats why its so pricey). The only complaint i have is that sometimes the wifi was a bit ****ty but they fixed this now apparently.

Since this year im off campus and in private accommodation...it is a bit of a pain to commute specifically this term when i have lots of 9ams caz it means i have to manage my time and wake up really early :redface: but in terms of transport links they are good as buses run into the uni all the time but i personally take the train (which again stops right at uni campus).

Thanks so much, this was great!

Quick Reply

Latest