The Student Room Group

A2 English Language Coursework Help

For my English coursework the area of research I have chosen to investigate is, 'Is there a difference between the language used in boys and girls children programs aged 7'

I have no idea how to go about this research so if anybody has any advice it would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by bexh20
To be able to do this, thorough research is required I.e actually watching the programmes and writing the transcripts up and then analysing the transcripts. This is hard work but if you do it properly then it will be well worth it.

Have you chosen the programmes yet?

When I have this info hopefully I can help even more.

Hi, I'm doing the same as OP but on Dora the explorer, what would be some good features I can analyse? So far I've talked about child language acquisition and prosodic features. What could I say about Dora teaching the children Spanish?
Original post by bexh20
To be able to do this, thorough research is required I.e actually watching the programmes and writing the transcripts up and then analysing the transcripts. This is hard work but if you do it properly then it will be well worth it.

Have you chosen the programmes yet?

When I have this info hopefully I can help even more.

I've chosen The Powerpuff girls and Ben 10
Original post by bexh20
Okay, so if you haven't already then you should find some transcripts online (if there are any available) of these shows or if there are none then you will have to transcribe these yourself. If you are choosing to transcribe then try and find some episodes with noticeable differences. Obviously talking about how the genders represented in both programmes would be a good starting point. It's interesting to note that the girls often save the day and how Ben also does which is perhaps unexpected as boys are often represented as heroes etc. You could talk about how 'violent' Ben 10 is in comparison to the powerpuff girls and the use of weapons. You could bring your knowledge of language and power into the investigation as well.

Hopefully that will give you some ideas but unfortunately my knowledge of these shows is not great.

what other methods do you think i could use though?

thank you for the advive :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending