The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Firearms should be able to be bought and sold like any commodity. That's probably the only really controversial view. I'm against high taxes, welfare states and 'free" government-provided support like council housing, pro-federalisation and support a decentralised government but I wouldn't consider those things controversial.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 441
Religion is a load of bull.

Most people's babies are ugly.

Animals are better than humans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue_Mason
with only the ones with female tendencies sticking out.

Sorry, I don't understand this part. What do you mean by "female tendencies"?
Reply 443
Marxist ideology has destroyed Europe and you can thank Jews for creating that poison. Does Israel look like it's full of Marxists? why is Western politics, education full of Marxists?
Original post by Blazar
Sorry, I don't understand this part. What do you mean by "female tendencies"?

Was meant to type mannerisms.Female mannerisms being the visual and social stereotype for gay men.
Original post by aoxa

- People should have to pay directly for their healthcare if they could have prevented it. (Eg, someone needs their stomach pumped due to excessive drinking)

How would you decide that though?

Let's say I go cycling and fall off and break my leg. Should I have to pay? After all I could have prevented it by not going cycling.

I am involved in a car crash on a stretch of road known to be dangerous and I need hospital treatment. I could have avoided that by taking a different route or different form of transport. Should I have to pay?

If I go out hiking and get injured for whatever reason (adder bite, chased by cows, falling over, could be anything), what about then? I could have avoided that by not walking or by choosing a different route.

What if I get a sports related injury? After all, I chose to go and play that sport.

That's a bit of a dangerous route to go down, and deciding whether someone could have prevented it would require bureaucracy and possibly cost money to implement.
Reply 446
I believe free, democratic countries need to be more decisive regarding the current issues in the Middle East (Islamic State, Syria, etc) I support a 'boots on the ground' response.
Original post by Asklepios
It's a disorder of reproduction, specifically sexual attraction. It is clearly not a choice, and many studies have implicated a genetic component. Some would argue that a certain proportion of the population being gay actually confers overall reproductive benefit (something to do with demographic stability I'm not quite sure), but other diseases may also be beneficial in some aspects - CF and cholera, Sickle-cell and malaria.

However, what is important is that gay people should still have rights and be treated with respect. Like we don't make fun of the physically disabled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's disgusting that you have the nerve to compare homosexuality to malaria. "Gay people should still have rights"? Well done, Sherlock, is the Pope a Catholic? I can't believe that you're in medical school and still spouting nonsense like this on a public forum. If you're going to start treating homosexuality like a pathology, why don't you go right ahead and start diagnosing people as mentally ill if they don't like the same films as you?
Original post by Pies
Most people's babies are ugly.

Get out. Get out now.
Reply 449
that we need a new plague
Original post by Blue_Mason
Was meant to type mannerisms.Female mannerisms being the visual and social stereotype for gay men.

And it's exactly that - a stereotype with no relevance in modern society.
Original post by Blazar
It's disgusting that you have the nerve to compare homosexuality to malaria. "Gay people should still have rights"? Well done, Sherlock, is the Pope a Catholic? I can't believe that you're in medical school and still spouting nonsense like this on a public forum. If you're going to start treating homosexuality like a pathology, why don't you go right ahead and start diagnosing people as mentally ill if they don't like the same films as you?

I agree. If their attraction was a disease then why do they form loving relationships which do not damage society in any way

People are genetically different guys

Get over it
Original post by Blazar
And it's exactly that - a stereotype with no relevance in modern society.

A percentage of the gay population do in fact keep it alive and present.
Does the word camp and flamboyant ring a bell.
Reply 453
Original post by RFowler
How would you decide that though?

Let's say I go cycling and fall off and break my leg. Should I have to pay? After all I could have prevented it by not going cycling.

I am involved in a car crash on a stretch of road known to be dangerous and I need hospital treatment. I could have avoided that by taking a different route or different form of transport. Should I have to pay?

If I go out hiking and get injured for whatever reason (adder bite, chased by cows, falling over, could be anything), what about then? I could have avoided that by not walking or by choosing a different route.

What if I get a sports related injury? After all, I chose to go and play that sport.

That's a bit of a dangerous route to go down, and deciding whether someone could have prevented it would require bureaucracy and possibly cost money to implement.

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that :rolleyes:

Perhaps it could have been phrased differently - it's obviously a slippery slope, deciding when something is intentionally inflicted, but I don't mean someone playing sports, car crash or even self harm.

The two big ones that come to mind are the overconsumption of alcohol and smoking - if there is sufficent evidence that such a problem could have been prevented by the person involved.
Original post by Blazar

Just because my view is unpopular doesn't mean it's nonsense, as I have backed it up. I know this is very controversial, but that's the point of this thread, no? And how does being in medical school make any difference, am I not able to hold any views?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aoxa
- Euthanasia should be made legal
- The monarchy should be abolished (I'll concede that it does have some benefits, but I think it has more drawbacks than benefits)
- Not everyone should have the right to vote
- The benefits system should be stricter
- People should have to pay directly for their healthcare if they could have prevented it. (Eg, someone needs their stomach pumped due to excessive drinking)

Just the ones off the top of my head.

Who shouldn't have the right to vote? Fyi 'prisoners' is not controversial.
Original post by SBKA
I believe free, democratic countries need to be more decisive regarding the current issues in the Middle East (Islamic State, Syria, etc) I support a 'boots on the ground' response.

How would it be any different from Iraq or Afghanistan? Sure the initial victories would be easy, but as we all know it would drag on most likely for a decade.
Original post by saimahkhan
Anyone wishing to become a parent should have to pass some sort of test first that determines how good a parent they'd be. Obviously it's very difficult to determine what exactly 'good' is and how people would be tested but just something I've thought about for a while.

Also, dentists should be paid less.

Agreed.
Original post by saimahkhan
Anyone wishing to become a parent should have to pass some sort of test first that determines how good a parent they'd be. Obviously it's very difficult to determine what exactly 'good' is and how people would be tested but just something I've thought about for a while.

Also, dentists should be paid less.

Is it really the state's role to decide who can and can't have a child? If that isn't an infringement of human rights then I don't know what is.

Also Albert Einstein's mother was a total loon and he turned out ok.

(Actually I have no idea about Einstein's parents but you get my drift)
Original post by SophieSmall
in red :smile: mostly agree with you

Not much of an indeoendent thinker...

Latest