The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For moral grounds....
Original post by hamix.forllz
Agreed.

What sort of test? A written one? Because that would be ludicrous.
I think abortion should be illegal under any circumstances. I've never been brought up to be pro-life, I'm not remotely religious and yet I don't think anyone has the right t end the life of a foetus or embryo. Just don't
i have chores/going out to do...and this has been good to read, but then people who get their beliefs/morals/opinions only or largely from pop culture sources should really get a forcible lobotomy....and this includes people who are educated and not chavs or poorer people....even those who are educated don't contribute that much, and it's the pop culture media that is the biggest bane of society..

I don't get how an institution that causes women self-esteem issues for one, deserves existence.
1. I believe the coalition should have pursued a more radical deficit reduction programme;
2. I believe that higher taxes on the wealthy are morally unjustifiable, economically illiterate, and unfair.
3. I am pro-immigration.
4. I believe in multiculturalism.
5. I don't believe UKIP are just closet racists.
6. I believe in free speech/expression/etc (to the point that I accept homophobic/racist/sexist jokes and believed Islam4UK should have been allowed to protest).
7. I believe in personal responsibility.
8. I really dislike middle class, left-leaning students (most of whom at my University do my nut in).
9. Feminism pisses me off.
10. I proudly consider myself a Conservative.
Original post by Iamyourfather
What sort of test? A written one? Because that would be ludicrous.

A practical test and monitoring....
Reply 466
Original post by zimbo97
How would it be any different from Iraq or Afghanistan? Sure the initial victories would be easy, but as we all know it would drag on most likely for a decade.

The Islamic State, whilst still partially being a guerrilla tactic fighting force, find themselves in the awkward position that they have captured a great deal of land. This land needs to be defended if they are to call themselves a state.

Once they had been defeated in traditional warfare, it would almost certainly return to the insurgency-based, long wars that we have experienced in Afghanistan. I still find this course of action preferable to allowing innocents to die and the Islamic State to build greater support and gain more resources.
Not much of an indeoendent thinker...

Going to assume you meant independent.
And just because I agree with a lot of that particular persons views does not mean I don't think independently, as can be demonstrated with my complete disagreement with many of the people on this thread.
Reply 468
Original post by zimbo97
Who shouldn't have the right to vote? Fyi 'prisoners' is not controversial.

Prisoners already don't have the right to vote.

People who havepast convictions shouldn't be able to vote unless they have proved themselves to be reformed - having a stable job, contributing to society etc.

I also think people should have to be educated about the parties, and what each party offers them. This would allow people to make an informed choice. Last year, when Thatcher died, and there were people gathering to celebrate, I recall someone about 16-18 being interviewed, the interviewer said something about how they weren't even alive when Thatcher was in power, so how could they know what 'oppression' the people 'suffered' under her? The interviewee then replied by saying something like 'well, yeah, but my mum has told me all about it' - and then made some comments about how everyone lost their jobs because of Thatchers decisions.

Aside from having a basic knowledge of party politics to prevent things like 'well I'll vote for ... because my parents vote for them' or whatever. There should also be a basic IQ test - I know this may sound harsh and/or discriminatory, but there are some people who don't have the basic sensibilities to make an informed decision.
Original post by Mezza362
I think abortion should be illegal under any circumstances. I've never been brought up to be pro-life, I'm not remotely religious and yet I don't think anyone has the right t end the life of a foetus or embryo. Just don't

If I end become pregnant (despite the fact I use contraception) I'm going to get an abortion.

Spoiler

Original post by SophieSmall
Going to assume you meant independent.
And just because I agree with a lot of that particular persons views does not mean I don't think independently, as can be demonstrated with my complete disagreement with many of the people on this thread.

hmm...if you say so...
hmm...if you say so...

I do.
Original post by SophieSmall
I do.

I don't believe that, but there you go...
Original post by Alice_95
Feminism in the West is utterly redundant.

Seriously, please look to some countries abroad where women have no education and a whole host of other issues. Yet all feminism can do in the UK is inflate and create statistics, whinge about cat calling, and demonise men.

And yes, I have done my research.

Refreshing to see.
Original post by SBKA
The Islamic State, whilst still partially being a guerrilla tactic fighting force, find themselves in the awkward position that they have captured a great deal of land. This land needs to be defended if they are to call themselves a state.

Once they had been defeated in traditional warfare, it would almost certainly return to the insurgency-based, long wars that we have experienced in Afghanistan. I still find this course of action preferable to allowing innocents to die and the Islamic State to build greater support and gain more resources.

What about the sovereignty of Iraq? Also who's to say we can beat IS to the extent that as soon as we leave they'll once again operate.
Further, do you know how much of a recruitment drive it would be for the terrorists if US-British troops once again marched into a middle easter country.

You must be one of the very few people who think Afghanistan was such a success that we should carry out a similar operation lasting years and years in Iraq.
For moral grounds....

But how? Is a lifetime in solitary confinement a much better alternative then?

The death penalty is a punishment for justice - it isn't charged by malice. Besides, a dignified death, such as that of the modern death penalty, (last meal, lethal injection) is better than a merciless one (e.g. the brutal slaughtering of young children for the satisfaction of a sexual fetish).

A practical test and monitoring....

How? Are you we going to have taster babies? Doesn't seem feasible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aoxa
I was wondering when someone would pick up on that :rolleyes:

Perhaps it could have been phrased differently - it's obviously a slippery slope, deciding when something is intentionally inflicted, but I don't mean someone playing sports, car crash or even self harm.

The two big ones that come to mind are the overconsumption of alcohol and smoking - if there is sufficent evidence that such a problem could have been prevented by the person involved.

Yes, there is evidence they could have possibly prevented their conditions. However smokers and drinkers already pay 3 fold in taxes from the cigarettes and alcohol they buy than smoking and drinking related illnesses cost the NHS.
Reply 477
Original post by Mezza362

What in the case of rape and/or incest?

Surely it is more beneficial to both mother and foetus for an abortion rather than the mother be forced to carry a rapists child to term, and then hypothetically give it up to the state, where the child may never be adopted/ have a stable home, never knowing a stable and loving environment?

I don't agree with abortion in the sense of 'I want a girl/boy', but in all other situations I'm very pro-choice. The thought of bringing a child into the world that I (hypothetically) didn't want would repulse me - having an abortion would to me, be more loving than having an unwanted child.
I don't believe that, but there you go...

Funny enough I don't really care what you believe. I know me a lot better than you do.
Original post by binarythoughts
I wonder why you think the burqa should be banned...

Because my ancestors did not sacrifice their lives, leaving their children orphaned, in two World Wars defending freedom and liberty for some third world immigrants to shove their sick oppressive morals down our throats.

Latest