Am I doing too much at the gym? Watch

Gemma picken
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So recently I joined the gym. I'm not that big but still want to loose some weight and get fitter. Over the past two weeks I've been going 4 times a week for 2 hours. Some friends and family have said I'm doing too much. Is this true or not? I love the gym I would go everyday if I could but I know I need to rest. Help?
Wheezy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's quite a lot, but to be honest, your body will tell you if you're doing too much. If you feel you can take it, it should be ok. Just make sure you do get enough rest and stay hydrated!
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
Yeah sometimes it does. Normally I work out Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Maybe I could do some other excerises that day at the gym. Normally it's just cardio
0range
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely not too much!!! I go six days a week for like an hour and a half each time!! Your body will lwt you know if it's too much! Just make sure you're eating enough and get enough sleep!
Schrödingers Cat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends what you're doing at the gym, if it's just cardio you should be fine
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
Yeah normally I do 45 mins on the treadmill, 40 mins on the cross trainer then 35 on the bike. Yeah normally I go to sleep reasonable
Wheezy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're looking to build muscle/tone as well, weight training is good for that. If you're going to incorportate weights, it's suggested you lift first and then move on to cardio - so say you were in the gym for two hours, do an hours weights and then do an hours cardio after.
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
Yeah thanks for that
RibenaMibena
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I dont want to sound stupid but how do you not get bored? I can only do 10 minutes on each and then want a change.. help? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wheezy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RibenaMibena)
I dont want to sound stupid but how do you not get bored? I can only do 10 minutes on each and then want a change.. help? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the same
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
Not really I take my iPod and the gym I'm at has tv built in the machine and on the wall.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not too much, it's probably about right.

I go Wednesdays after work for about 2 hours and Saturdays for about 3.5 hours, I could (and should) do more but I'm still recovering from a knee injury.
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
I'm enjoying it but others have said slow down and take it easy
Placeboo123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
4 times a week isn't much, but spending 2 hours every time is quite a lot, you sure you need all that time every day?
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
I just feel like I should be there that amount of time.
Tommy1499
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nah that's not to muc, my mate goes 5 times a week for like 2-3 hours and he's perfectly fine, just need a right diet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
Yeah normally I watch what I eat. No sugar or fat usually I have one treat day a week.
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're doing cardio. You could do an hour a day and it won't be "too much" so long as you're eating properly.

I would not suggest doing weights for 2hours 4 times a week though, you'de be a mess and constantly sore...
Gemma picken
Rep:
?
Yeah I'll probaly do some weights and cardio.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gemma picken)
So recently I joined the gym. I'm not that big but still want to loose some weight and get fitter. Over the past two weeks I've been going 4 times a week for 2 hours. Some friends and family have said I'm doing too much. Is this true or not? I love the gym I would go everyday if I could but I know I need to rest. Help?
If you are still making progress, you're recovering properly between workouts and it's not having any impact on the rest of your life then NO.

The more important question should be why.

Unless you are an endurance athlete (which you aren't by the sounds of it) you could get similar if not better results condensing your workouts but training harder/better when you do and cleaning up your diet.

Sure I enjoy working out and train 3-5x a week but there is more to life than going to the gym.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads