The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Primary Education Interview

I have an interview for Primary Education at Edgehill next week.

For the group task I have to bring in an object/book to use as a teaching resource and explain:
- What I want the children to learn
- The teaching strategies I would employ
I'm struggling with this 'teaching strategies' part - what does it mean exactly? I don't know any proper teaching strategies - that's I'm going to uni for haha
Any ideas?
Reply 1
Hello.. I've applied for Primary Education with QTS at Edge Hill University and received an interview. I think "What I want the children to learn" is based on what you're teaching. For example Numeracy e.g. adding, subtracting, multiplication and division. Then you say what you want the children to learn at the end of lesson and how you're going to achieve this e.g. through resources and flash cards maybe? Also for teaching strategies you could relate this back to what you want to teach e.g. you can use positive reinforcement and say "well done and you can do this" etc. If that doesn't work then another teaching strategy is by providing children with resources e.g. Education City and get the children to listen to the 2 times table song for example if you're teaching the two times table. Hope this helps.. Good luck and let me know how you get on! :smile:
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by bethnonsense

- What I want the children to learn
- The teaching strategies I would employ
I'm struggling with this 'teaching strategies' part - what does it mean exactly? I don't know any proper teaching strategies - that's I'm going to uni for haha
Any ideas?

What do you want the children to learn from the lesson about the object/book?
What would you do as a teacher to help children learn about that object/book? (What strategies would you use?)

As a teacher you'll have things you want the children to learn during the lesson and then you'll use strategies in that lesson to help children achieve those learning objectives. Numerous strategies can be adopted to help children learn the same topic.
Original post by Riyaax
Hello.. I've applied for Primary Education with QTS at Edge Hill University and received an interview. I think "What I want the children to learn" is based on what you're teaching. For example Numeracy e.g. adding, subtracting, multiplication and division. Then you say what you want the children to learn at the end of lesson and how you're going to achieve this e.g. through resources and flash cards maybe? Also for teaching strategies you could relate this back to what you want to teach e.g. you can use positive reinforcement and say "well done and you can do this" etc. If that doesn't work then another teaching strategy is by providing children with resources e.g. Education City and get the children to listen to the 2 times table song for example if you're teaching the two times table. Hope this helps.. Good luck and let me know how you get on! :smile:

Thank you!
When is your interview? Are you planning on taking a book or an object?
I'm so nervous haha
Reply 4
Mines on 18th February! I'm taking a book and I don't know what object I could take. What are you taking? Have you had your interview yet? By the way if you don't mind me asking have you had work experience in key stage 1 and 2? I have had key stage 1 experience in year 1 and 2. I received an email from another University I applied to asking about my work experience etc. I managed to get experience in key stage 2 at my little brothers school just in case. I've asked the current school I'm at if they can move me to key stage 2 but will find out on Monday. (Sorry about long post loll!)
Original post by Riyaax
Mines on 18th February! I'm taking a book and I don't know what object I could take. What are you taking? Have you had your interview yet? By the way if you don't mind me asking have you had work experience in key stage 1 and 2? I have had key stage 1 experience in year 1 and 2. I received an email from another University I applied to asking about my work experience etc. I managed to get experience in key stage 2 at my little brothers school just in case. I've asked the current school I'm at if they can move me to key stage 2 but will find out on Monday. (Sorry about long post loll!)

Mine's on Tuesday. :eek:
I'm taking a pirate toy and some chocolate coins (treasure!) and I'll talk about maths (counting the coins, weighing them, measuring them etc.) and making it fun and interactive with a cool pirate theme.
I'm exactly the same as you, I've only been in KS1.
At my first interview (Edge hill will be my second) they asked if it would be possible for me to get some experience in KS2, but they offered me a place anyway so it obviously wasn't a problem for them... For Edge hill I'll just tell them I'm planning on getting some experience in KS2 and will have it before September.
Have you had any other interviews? & where else have you applied?
(Sorry mine's even longer haha!)
Reply 6
Good luck for your interview, hope it goes well! :smile: .. Where was your first interview? And that's reassuring, I'm just going to get experience in key stage 2 just in case. I'm going to be at 2 schools 3 days a week, hopefully that's enough. I've been in key stage 1 since September and key stage 2 until May/June. Try to ring up schools now if you can, I tried a lot of schools! Most were full so I had to ask my current placement if they can move me to key stage 2 and managed to get placement at my little brothers school for key stage 2. I haven't had any other interviews so far, I've applied to Birmingham City University, Newman University, University of Worcester, Edge Hill University and The University of Northampton. What about you? :smile:
I am applying also at Edge Hill and have my interview in March.
I am kind of over prepared for this one...

I have 4 years of primary experience, 3 years standard experience and just over a year of 'teaching' experience, in which i am planning lessons, delivering them and then assessing the children.
This has been with atleast one term in each year group, excluding reception.. so far!
I also coach 7 sports at a primary and secondary level...

As for the interview, I am using a 'different' idea..
A box. A blank box.
Literacy - What is in the box? why is the box there? Creative writing.
Science - What are the properties of the box? what is it made of? why is it made of this?
Numeracy - What is the volume of the box? What is the area of one of the sides?

Let me know how your interviews go!
Reply 8
Hi guys, Is the object and book for the group task or for the teaching task? I have an interview next week for the PGCE in primary with qts ,and it says iv to bring an object and book but it's for the teaching task and the group task is given on the day? Sorry maybe you guys are doing a different course than me !!just said I'd ask in case I'm wrong?
Original post by egana33
Hi guys, Is the object and book for the group task or for the teaching task? I have an interview next week for the PGCE in primary with qts ,and it says iv to bring an object and book but it's for the teaching task and the group task is given on the day? Sorry maybe you guys are doing a different course than me !!just said I'd ask in case I'm wrong?

Hi I had my interview today (for the undergraduate course) and yeah it said on the guidance that there will be a group task but there wasn't....there was a tour, an academic talk, subject knowledge tests, written test, teaching task (presenting the object) and individual interview. I don't know if it will be different for PGCE though.
Reply 10
If you don't mind me asking how did your interview go Bethnonsense? What did they ask you etc?
Reply 11
Hi I had my interview today (for the undergraduate course) and yeah it said on the guidance that there will be a group task but there wasn't....there was a tour, an academic talk, subject knowledge tests, written test, teaching task (presenting the object) and individual interview. I don't know if it will be different for PGCE though.

Hey I have an interview for early years at edge hill on Wednesday, do you have any recommendations of what to revise for the maths English and science tests? im really stressing out about them, what type of topics were they based on?:confused:
Original post by Riyaax
If you don't mind me asking how did your interview go Bethnonsense? What did they ask you etc?

Hey, not at all!
I think I messed up the the subject knowledge tests because I was expecting KS2 questions but it was GCSE standard...make sure you're ready for that!

We had to present our object in front of one other candidate and two interviewers, then we split up, one candidate to one interviewer.

My interviewer seemed really strict at first but she relaxed once we got going. She asked more about my experiences that I had listed on my PS. Then the questions I remember are: >Why do you want to teach? >Why would you be a good teacher? >What is one quality of a teacher that you don't yet possess but are working towards? >Give an example of how you have taught a child something and what teaching styles did you use? >If you had just finished a placement and your mentor from Edge hill gave you a score you disagreed with, how would you handle this?
Then she asked if I had any questions...I think it's good to have an interesting one prepared!

Now just waiting to hear back...fingers crossed!
Hope this is helpful, feel free to ask anything else. And good luck for yours!
Reply 13
Hey, not at all!
I think I messed up the the subject knowledge tests because I was expecting KS2 questions but it was GCSE standard...make sure you're ready for that!

We had to present our object in front of one other candidate and two interviewers, then we split up, one candidate to one interviewer.

My interviewer seemed really strict at first but she relaxed once we got going. She asked more about my experiences that I had listed on my PS. Then the questions I remember are: >Why do you want to teach? >Why would you be a good teacher? >What is one quality of a teacher that you don't yet possess but are working towards? >Give an example of how you have taught a child something and what teaching styles did you use? >If you had just finished a placement and your mentor from Edge hill gave you a score you disagreed with, how would you handle this?
Then she asked if I had any questions...I think it's good to have an interesting one prepared!

Now just waiting to hear back...fingers crossed!
Hope this is helpful, feel free to ask anything else. And good luck for yours!

Thank you so much! :smile: .. What question did you ask at the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending