The Student Room Group

fine art (uni) portfolio help (presentation-wise!)

I was held up booking my interview slot so the latest time I could get and make it for (for Reading Fine Art 4 year (includes year 0/foundation) course) is Wed 28 Jan!!! I hadn't been planning on an interview before at least mid Feb so haven't got my portfolio sorted, but I have a good idea of what to include, however, I'm a bit lost as to how to present it. I was hoping to mount original work and photographs of large canvases etc onto either A2 or A1 black card and have them loose in a folder, but in a good order, but I went to the only store near me that stocks card that large, and it was £4 a sheet, meaning I can't physically afford to do this?!? Is there a site online to get discounted card! I can't spend more than £15/£20 in total, there must be a cheaper way because I cannot believe that its the done thing to spend £50 to mount a portfolio!! Please help and quickly, I need everything sorted by Tuesday?? What have other people done for their portfolio!!
Original post by lewis1264
I was held up booking my interview slot so the latest time I could get and make it for (for Reading Fine Art 4 year (includes year 0/foundation) course) is Wed 28 Jan!!! I hadn't been planning on an interview before at least mid Feb so haven't got my portfolio sorted, but I have a good idea of what to include, however, I'm a bit lost as to how to present it. I was hoping to mount original work and photographs of large canvases etc onto either A2 or A1 black card and have them loose in a folder, but in a good order, but I went to the only store near me that stocks card that large, and it was £4 a sheet, meaning I can't physically afford to do this?!? Is there a site online to get discounted card! I can't spend more than £15/£20 in total, there must be a cheaper way because I cannot believe that its the done thing to spend £50 to mount a portfolio!! Please help and quickly, I need everything sorted by Tuesday?? What have other people done for their portfolio!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Reply 2

I went through that post before making this thread and it doesn't help me with my query at all!! I just wanted to know if it was acceptable to present a fine art portfolio without mounting my work onto card/ using a book with envelopes, and my work is all different sizes.
I went through that post before making this thread and it doesn't help me with my query at all!! I just wanted to know if it was acceptable to present a fine art portfolio without mounting my work onto card/ using a book with envelopes, and my work is all different sizes.

Sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Sorry.

No, it's ok! I just thought I'd point it out incase anyone had some relevant advice but thought the thread was closed!!
No, it's ok! I just thought I'd point it out incase anyone had some relevant advice but thought the thread was closed!!

Perhaps your school can help with the card. Speak to your art teacher about it. Our school helps put portfolios together for students who are applying. I think normal cartridge paper would be quite firm enough and cheaper.
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Perhaps your school can help with the card. Speak to your art teacher about it. Our school helps put portfolios together for students who are applying. I think normal cartridge paper would be quite firm enough and cheaper.

Thank you very much! I already ordered some card tonight and it's supposed to be here Tuesday which is cutting it so fine and I'm really quite scared :eek:
Thank you very much! I already ordered some card tonight and it's supposed to be here Tuesday which is cutting it so fine and I'm really quite scared :eek:

Well, you may be lucky. Plain and simple is best if in doubt, and it's the work they want to see, not the packaging. Good luck.:smile:
Reply 8
Thank you!! In case the card doesn't come in time, do you think it'd matter massively if my work isn't mounted?
Thank you!! In case the card doesn't come in time, do you think it'd matter massively if my work isn't mounted?

I think it's expected in one way or another, but if you can't, you can't. White paper is better than nothing, though.

Quick Reply

Latest