The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1. Plus size models should not be used to advertise normal size products, they make he clothes look terrible. A dress that may look gorgeous on a size 6 is distorted on a larger model, and buyers can never see that a dress will look nice. Companies may use hem for equality, but the reality is they will soon see their profits plummet as smaller size girls are distracted from their products which now seem to be a lot less nice when worn on larger people
Original post by Iamyourfather
But how? Is a lifetime in solitary confinement a much better alternative then?

The death penalty is a punishment for justice - it isn't charged by malice. Besides, a dignified death, such as that of the modern death penalty, (last meal, lethal injection) is better than a merciless one (e.g. the brutal slaughtering of young children for the satisfaction of a sexual fetish).

How? Are you we going to have taster babies? Doesn't seem feasible.

I'm just saying why it is such (,i.e. illegal). Not because we'd kill the wrong people, which is less likely.

And pareting tests....give them a mock practical...and then monitor them if they don't meet up with it. If they don't, then take the children away and place them in a proven healthy family.
Original post by SophieSmall
Funny enough I don't really care what you believe. I know me a lot better than you do.

lololololol.....I still don't believe this, but there you go...I don't need to believe some words from a stranger...
Original post by aoxa
Prisoners already don't have the right to vote.

People who havepast convictions shouldn't be able to vote unless they have proved themselves to be reformed - having a stable job, contributing to society etc.

I also think people should have to be educated about the parties, and what each party offers them. This would allow people to make an informed choice. Last year, when Thatcher died, and there were people gathering to celebrate, I recall someone about 16-18 being interviewed, the interviewer said something about how they weren't even alive when Thatcher was in power, so how could they know what 'oppression' the people 'suffered' under her? The interviewee then replied by saying something like 'well, yeah, but my mum has told me all about it' - and then made some comments about how everyone lost their jobs because of Thatchers decisions.

Aside from having a basic knowledge of party politics to prevent things like 'well I'll vote for ... because my parents vote for them' or whatever. There should also be a basic IQ test - I know this may sound harsh and/or discriminatory, but there are some people who don't have the basic sensibilities to make an informed decision.

So democracy isn't a human right? Stupid people should not be allowed to vote...maybe really intelligent people should get 2 or 3 votes? Depending on their IQ ofc.
I'm sorry but seriously, that is ludicrous.

Stopping someone for voting because of what you perceive to be false views on Thatcher would cover upwards of a third of the electorate...

Also don't you think it's a bit unfair that there would be a strong correlation between people who have money and received a good education and those who were very poor and so had to go to the local comp?

I mean I hope you realise that these views are crazier than any of the kinda things the Tea Party/Sarah Palin would come up with.
Original post by hamix.forllz
lololololol.....I still don't believe this, but there you go...I don't need to believe some words from a stranger...

Okay, good for you. Bye now.
Original post by BrightonDunkley
Because my ancestors did not sacrifice their lives, leaving their children orphaned, in two World Wars defending freedom and liberty for some third world immigrants to shove their sick oppressive morals down our throats.

How would them wearing burqas be shoving anything down your throat?
I think alcohol should be classed as an illegal drug. People argue that most alcohol drinkers are sensible and drink in moderation, but I look around me and see nothing but a trail of destruction that alcohol has caused. It's far more dangerous than currently illegal substances.
Okay, good for you. Bye now.

It's only fun for me......:biggrin:
Original post by chumaniward
1. Plus size models should not be used to advertise normal size products, they make he clothes look terrible. A dress that may look gorgeous on a size 6 is distorted on a larger model, and buyers can never see that a dress will look nice. Companies may use hem for equality, but the reality is they will soon see their profits plummet as smaller size girls are distracted from their products which now seem to be a lot less nice when worn on larger people

I understand where you are coming from, but that exact same logic and argument could be used to say smaller models are putting bigger women off buying clothes or taller models are putting shorter women off buying clothes, or small breasted models are putting large breasted women off from buying clothes. Truth is everyone is never going to be happy, some people are always going to be disappointed by the models used.

I myself get put off clothes from the pictures all the time because I know the models are at least a foot taller than me and they don't have an hourglass figure (often) like me, and they're not large breasted like me. Moral is, just try on the clothes.
Original post by Veggiechic6
I think alcohol should be classed as an illegal drug. People argue that most alcohol drinkers are sensible and drink in moderation, but I look around me and see nothing but a trail of destruction that alcohol has caused. It's far more dangerous than currently illegal substances.

They tried to make alcohol illegal in the past, it went horribly. Prohibition doesn't work.
Reply 490
Original post by zimbo97
What about the sovereignty of Iraq? Also who's to say we can beat IS to the extent that as soon as we leave they'll once again operate.
Further, do you know how much of a recruitment drive it would be for the terrorists if US-British troops once again marched into a middle easter country.

You must be one of the very few people who think Afghanistan was such a success that we should carry out a similar operation lasting years and years in Iraq.

I don't believe Afghanistan was a 'success', wars very rarely are. I also don't believe it was the massive failure that many seem desperate to make it out to be.

ISIS are not exactly respecting Iraq's sovereignty at the moment, and Iraq would welcome further intervention from forces such as the Britain and the US. I am not claiming that the war would be easy, far from it, but what is the alternative?
Original post by Mezza362
I think abortion should be illegal under any circumstances. I've never been brought up to be pro-life, I'm not remotely religious and yet I don't think anyone has the right t end the life of a foetus or embryo. Just don't

Even if carrying the baby would kill the mother, or the baby would die soon after birth or would be severely disabled and require 24/7 care all its life?
They tried to make alcohol illegal in the past, it went horribly. Prohibition doesn't work.
Yes I know. Shame. The world's too much in love with the poison to think about getting rid of it now. It just causes so many problems in society when you think about it.
Yes I know. Shame. The world's too much in love with the poison to think about getting rid of it now. It just causes so many problems in society when you think about it.

I suppose it does cause a lot of problems in society, but I also think it is used properly by the vast majority of drinkers. If alcohol was outlawed those who would have abused it would either still do so illegally or would just go on to be self destructive in other manners.
Reply 494
Having your own biological child/children should not be a God given right. If you are that desperate,adopt!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

i presume youve never had an ounce to drink then?
Original post by lamipe
Having children should not be a God given right. If you are that desperate,adopt!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

and if you want IVF, pay for it yourself.
Reply 497
Original post by OU Student
and if you want IVF, pay for it yourself.

Exactly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chumaniward
i presume youve never had an ounce to drink then?

I never said that, why would you think that? Of course I've drank alcohol in the past. I've been drunk, made a fool of myself and regretted it. I don't like the taste of alcohol personally. I haven't drank any for a long time. I just look around and think the world would be better of without it because it causes so many social problems.
Original post by OU Student
Even if carrying the baby would kill the mother, or the baby would die soon after birth or would be severely disabled and require 24/7 care all its life?

Literally any circumstance with absolutely no exceptions

Latest