The Student Room Group

Am I doing too much at the gym?

So recently I joined the gym. I'm not that big but still want to loose some weight and get fitter. Over the past two weeks I've been going 4 times a week for 2 hours. Some friends and family have said I'm doing too much. Is this true or not? I love the gym I would go everyday if I could but I know I need to rest. Help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's quite a lot, but to be honest, your body will tell you if you're doing too much. If you feel you can take it, it should be ok. Just make sure you do get enough rest and stay hydrated!
Yeah sometimes it does. Normally I work out Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Maybe I could do some other excerises that day at the gym. Normally it's just cardio
Reply 3
Definitely not too much!!! I go six days a week for like an hour and a half each time!! Your body will lwt you know if it's too much! Just make sure you're eating enough and get enough sleep!
Depends what you're doing at the gym, if it's just cardio you should be fine
Yeah normally I do 45 mins on the treadmill, 40 mins on the cross trainer then 35 on the bike. Yeah normally I go to sleep reasonable
Reply 6
If you're looking to build muscle/tone as well, weight training is good for that. If you're going to incorportate weights, it's suggested you lift first and then move on to cardio - so say you were in the gym for two hours, do an hours weights and then do an hours cardio after.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah thanks for that
I dont want to sound stupid but how do you not get bored? I can only do 10 minutes on each and then want a change.. help? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by RibenaMibena
I dont want to sound stupid but how do you not get bored? I can only do 10 minutes on each and then want a change.. help? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same:biggrin:
Not really I take my iPod and the gym I'm at has tv built in the machine and on the wall.
Not too much, it's probably about right.

I go Wednesdays after work for about 2 hours and Saturdays for about 3.5 hours, I could (and should) do more but I'm still recovering from a knee injury.
I'm enjoying it but others have said slow down and take it easy
4 times a week isn't much, but spending 2 hours every time is quite a lot, you sure you need all that time every day?
I just feel like I should be there that amount of time.
nah that's not to muc, my mate goes 5 times a week for like 2-3 hours and he's perfectly fine, just need a right diet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah normally I watch what I eat. No sugar or fat usually I have one treat day a week.
You're doing cardio. You could do an hour a day and it won't be "too much" so long as you're eating properly.

I would not suggest doing weights for 2hours 4 times a week though, you'de be a mess and constantly sore...
Yeah I'll probaly do some weights and cardio.
Original post by Gemma picken
So recently I joined the gym. I'm not that big but still want to loose some weight and get fitter. Over the past two weeks I've been going 4 times a week for 2 hours. Some friends and family have said I'm doing too much. Is this true or not? I love the gym I would go everyday if I could but I know I need to rest. Help?

If you are still making progress, you're recovering properly between workouts and it's not having any impact on the rest of your life then NO.

The more important question should be why.

Unless you are an endurance athlete (which you aren't by the sounds of it) you could get similar if not better results condensing your workouts but training harder/better when you do and cleaning up your diet.

Sure I enjoy working out and train 3-5x a week but there is more to life than going to the gym.

Quick Reply

Latest