The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

I am doing a GTP and I am on my second teaching placement at the moment before returning to my main school for the rest of the year.

The best books I have found on behaviour management are 'Getting the Buggers to Behave' and 'Teach like a Champion' which is an American book but has really good all-round advice and comes with a DVD to show you some of the teaching techniques in practice.
Original post by gemmam
No, I have a feeling I'll just be fobbed off. As I've mentioned before I'm not the only one in my class in this position.

Do you have a course rep? We send all our issues through ours. If there's a lot of you they must be feeling confident that you'll be able to complete the hours or they wouldn't be running the course.
Original post by gemmam
Well yesterday in one of the classes two of the lads kept laughing every time I spoke; I felt really uncomfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chances are they were just messing around and it was nothing to do with you, but I definitely understand why it makes you uncomfortable. If it happens again, treat it like any other disruption (I.E. pupil chatter) - give them a stare and wait for them to be quiet or use their names. If things persist verbally warn them and then follow through on everything.
Original post by bonniex123
Hey guys,

I am doing a GTP and I am on my second teaching placement at the moment before returning to my main school for the rest of the year.

The best books I have found on behaviour management are 'Getting the Buggers to Behave' and 'Teach like a Champion' which is an American book but has really good all-round advice and comes with a DVD to show you some of the teaching techniques in practice.

I've heard getting the buggers to behave is good quite a few times, think this will be the push I need to actually buy it! Thank you.
Original post by bonniex123
Hey guys,

Original post by alabelle
I've heard getting the buggers to behave is good quite a few times, think this will be the push I need to actually buy it! Thank you.

Honestly, anything by Bill Rogers is better than the absolute rubbish that is 'Getting the Buggers to Behave'
Original post by Samus2
Honestly, anything by Bill Rogers is better than the absolute rubbish that is 'Getting the Buggers to Behave'

Why do you prefer his books? Just wondering so I can compare.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Do you have a course rep? We send all our issues through ours. If there's a lot of you they must be feeling confident that you'll be able to complete the hours or they wouldn't be running the course.

Yes we do. We're suppose to go on full time teaching practice for 5 weeks after half term but I have a feeling we're going to be unable to get the hours.

And thanks to those who recommended books/tips on behaviour management. I ordered a copy of "Getting the Buggers to Behave" and theres a few copies of a BIll Rodger's book in the college library I'll get out.
I didn't think 'Getting the Buggers to Behave' was rubbish - when I first started the course I think it had clear advice for people who were pretty clueless about the right way to approach behaviour (me).

I have been recommended Bill Rogers as well though and have heard he's good.
I quite liked Bill Rogers' 'You know the fair rule' from what I remember. I find it tough with behaviour books though because I find, I know where they're going, I know the principles, its putting it in to practice in the middle of a busy day that's hard to achieve. When on placement I started to keep a log of when I used the strategies to help me remember to do it (literally just noted the date/session and a note like "praised JT for good sitting"). It helped me build it in to my everyday practice. After a while it becomes habit and then it gets less scary so you become even better at it!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobble1987
This is exactly why I don't think you should be allowed to do ITT straight from uni. Ridiculous!

I agree with you to an extent. I understand that some people end up making fantastic teachers by randomly choosing a PGCE course. On the other hand, it took me two years to get onto a PGCE. I have a 2:1, three years experience as a teaching assistant and good A-levels. I am now on my course and I am love it so much! I am doing really well with "good" and "outstanding" grades, but it is disheartening when I see people getting on the course without out any real passion and no intention of staying in the career. I just think, I know of at least three people who have been unsuccessful in getting onto PGCE's and they want it so badly. I guess that is life though, and I hope that maybe the people who are hating the PGCE will discover a passion for it later on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cutebat
I agree with you to an extent. I understand that some people end up making fantastic teachers by randomly choosing a PGCE course. On the other hand, it took me two years to get onto a PGCE. I have a 2:1, three years experience as a teaching assistant and good A-levels. I am now on my course and I am love it so much! I am doing really well with "good" and "outstanding" grades, but it is disheartening when I see people getting on the course without out any real passion and no intention of staying in the career. I just think, I know of at least three people who have been unsuccessful in getting onto PGCE's and they want it so badly. I guess that is life though, and I hope that maybe the people who are hating the PGCE will discover a passion for it later on.

On this topic...

I think the main thing is, many of the people who get on to a course straight after uni are passionate about teaching, and likewise many people who turn out not to like it have done other things first.

It's the uni's job to figure out at interview whether someone has the passion and necessary skills to do well at teaching. It is true that other careers can give people skills which can really help, which is why those who come straight from an undergrad degree are in the minority (at least on my course). But I think that the uni should have the right to make their own decisions, rather than some blanket rule which is going to stop some really passionate and skilled people from entering the career of their choice. Some people know they want to be teachers for a long while before they get to the PGCE and have been working towards it throughout their education, and they shouldn't be prevented from doing so just because some graduates try it as a "don't know what to do" option.

On a side note, I think it's perfectly reasonable to train in teaching and then decide it's not for you. If you go in to it thinking it isn't then fair enough, that is very frustrating for those who really want to do it and struggle to get a place. But if you genuinely want to do it but find you're not cut out for it I think that's reasonable. You can't really know whether you'll be good at something or truly enjoy it until you've experienced it, and people shouldn't feel bad about changing their mind.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know how likely it is to start a teaching post before summer?

The reason I ask is my course finishes on the 3rd of July and that leaves 2 weeks before the kids break up. I really want to go and visit my family in Thailand and it is £450 more to go in the school holidays. :eek:

Anyway I have heard that when people get posts for September they are often asked to start at the end of the Summer term, I was wondering how often this happens? I'm EYFS/ KS1.
Original post by xxstace123xx

The reason I ask is my course finishes on the 3rd of July and that leaves 2 weeks before the kids break up. I really want to go and visit my family in Thailand and it is £450 more to go in the school holidays. :eek:

Anyway I have heard that when people get posts for September they are often asked to start at the end of the Summer term, I was wondering how often this happens? I'm EYFS/ KS1.

Welcome to the downside of teaching holidays.

I teach secondary, so it may be different for primary, but it's not usual for us. (Don't recall it ever happening.)
I think you should be OK to book your trip for when the PGCE course ends.

When you have a job lined up for September, your school might offer you the chance to start work earlier so that you are familiar with the school and pupils and can hit the ground running when you start properly. It's also an opportunity to earn a bit of extra cash. I think this happens more in Primary, but I don't know how common it is.

But I doubt that your ability to work in July would affect your chance of getting the job in the first place (if the job is advertised as a September start).

Once you have been offered a job, if the school contacts you to ask if you can spend some time in school in July, you will just have to tell them that you have a pre-booked holiday. They should accept that as they couldn't expect you to keep the time free in the off-chance that you would be offered work.

Of course, once you start your job you'll just have to get used to the fact that holidays are expensive.
Thanks for your help both of you :smile: I am going to email my course leader and ask her opinion as well.

I know they will be much more expensive, but at least the next summer I should have a salary to help me pay for things and not just student loans.
I have my september job and they asked me to start beginning of july so they can get me working on their behavioural policy as its quite tightly run where Im going. Im secondary though. My understanding is that you take it where offered as that then means you get paid over the summer holidays. I booked my honeymoon for the summer and just didnt want to risk getting offered a July contract so booked it for the week after the end of the summer term and its a good thing i did!!
Original post by Ratchit99
I have my september job and they asked me to start beginning of july so they can get me working on their behavioural policy as its quite tightly run where Im going. Im secondary though. My understanding is that you take it where offered as that then means you get paid over the summer holidays. I booked my honeymoon for the summer and just didnt want to risk getting offered a July contract so booked it for the week after the end of the summer term and its a good thing i did!!

Did they mention the July start after they offered you the job, or before? Wondering if it would be a dealbreaker for places or not.
Original post by Airfairy
Did they mention the July start after they offered you the job, or before? Wondering if it would be a dealbreaker for places or not.

They actively asked me before the interview (during the lunch bit) if i was offered the job would i be able/interested in starting in July. In my case im in a shortage subject so i guess i have more to bargain with (if that makes sense) but if you were up against multiple peeps i do wonder whether it could be.
Original post by xxstace123xx

I got an NQT job this week and I'm starting in July and being paid over the summer.
Original post by Ratchit99
They actively asked me before the interview (during the lunch bit) if i was offered the job would i be able/interested in starting in July. In my case im in a shortage subject so i guess i have more to bargain with (if that makes sense) but if you were up against multiple peeps i do wonder whether it could be.

Ah okay, that is interesting to know, thanks. I guess in that situation, I'd just have to say yes, even though I wouldn't want to :ninja: .

Original post by Chewyy
I got an NQT job this week and I'm starting in July and being paid over the summer.

Can I ask the same question as I asked Ratchit - did they ask if you would start in July, before or after the interview? Well done btw!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending