The Student Room Group

What one feature do you most want on your next car?

Atm, my car is pretty poor but in thinking of what I want on my next one.

I think AC is up there, not used my car in summer yet but I bet it will suck with no AC.

Others include heated front windscreen and stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A cup holder would be nice.
Reply 2
Original post by Nuffles
A cup holder would be nice.

So annoyed my new car doesn't have a cupholder, and if I want to add one I have to tear apart half the dash :angry: The rear seats get cupholders, usb plugs, and reading lights :lolwut:

And to answer the OP: Autonomous cruise control probably.
Reply 3
AUX port

EDIT: Actually, I forgot I have a FM transmitter that can be connected to my phone therefore the alternative feature I would like is to have a proximity sensor on both the front and back of the car, ensuring I do not bump into the two cars when parking.
(edited 9 years ago)
My current car has an AUX port, and I would want my next car to have it as well. I like to have music on while I'm driving and usually I use my phone for that.
Reply 5
Original post by RFowler
My current car has an AUX port, and I would want my next car to have it as well. I like to have music on while I'm driving and usually I use my phone for that.

Would you not prefer USB port and steering wheel controls?

Otherwise you have to use your phone whilst driving to change song etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Would you not prefer USB port and steering wheel controls?

Otherwise you have to use your phone whilst driving to change song etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be fine with that as well. Hadn't thought of USB.

I know my brother uses that, but he's older than me and can afford to buy and insure a fairly new car. Is USB something you only get on newer cars, or do some older cars have it as well? My car is from 2006 and has an AUX port.

I just want some way of playing music from my phone. I've seen plenty of cars with neither AUX or USB where I'd have to either put my songs onto CDs or listen to the radio (which is often rubbish).
Definitely usb port. I was happy to have a radio in my current car as it didn't work in my previous one but I'm so sick of it atm. If I hear Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud one more time, I'll scream.

I also want central locking. My driver lock keeps freezing shut lately.
Reliability.

I think AC is up there, not used my car in summer yet but I bet it will suck with no AC.

Others include heated front windscreen and stereo controls on the steering wheel.

I have all of those, but the two things I most want are in order:

(1) Cruise control.

(2) USB audio.

The first one is a must for my next car, second one would be highly desirable. A possible third would be reversing sensors, though I can easily do without that.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
I have all of those, but the two things I most want are in order:

(1) Cruise control.

(2) USB audio.

The first one is a must for my next car, second one would be highly desirable. A possible third would be reversing sensors, though I can easily do without that.

I have USB audio.

Aftermarket stereo Ftw.

The thing I really want but can't remember if it's even a thing is remote start. I want to start the engine from inside my house whilst I brush my teeth so that when I go out the car is defrosted and warm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
just decent AC for me and maybe a less tatty interior but I don't really want anything else.

- Radio controls on the steering wheel aren't a biggy for me cos I can jsut lean over and do whatever on it.

- Parking sensors have never interested me, i'm quite good at parking and don't want to become complacent.

- Nothing for the radio, i don't mind just have my local radio on.
Electric windows!
Xenons
Bluetooth Connectivity

And more bhp 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I have USB audio.

Aftermarket stereo Ftw.

The thing I really want but can't remember if it's even a thing is remote start. I want to start the engine from inside my house whilst I brush my teeth so that when I go out the car is defrosted and warm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can program a Rover 75 Diesel to warm the car up at a certain time of the morning. Only on one of the higher end models I think. No idea if it needed the engine to be running or not though.

For me its a tie up between:
USB audio,
Air Con (last summer got a bit fruity...),
Heated seats,
Heated steering wheel (I get cold hands),
The ability to direct where the hot air comes from (its stuck on windscreen, which may be the safest thing to be stuck on, but I do get cold feet!)
Or just something that starts properly and won't keep stalling itself if I take my foot off the throttle when stationary after starting it from cold.

The 2 new cars am getting this year must have the following :-

1) Heated leather seats that's dark coloured.
2) Digital climate control.
3) A retractable charging cord. It seriously is no fun to untangle and then to store a cable that is 10m long :tongue:
4) Adaptive cruise control.
5) Touch screen interface.
6) Bluetooth syncing.
7) Air suspension.
8) No-clutch pedal.
9) Homelink.
10) All Wheel Drive :smile:
A nice sound.

I know its dumb but I recently sold my lovely sounding (but broken :frown: ) Alfa Romeo and replaced it with a VAG 1.9tdi (Skoda Fabia VRS). Im loving the 50mpg commutes and OHGODTORQUE from 2k RPM but the clatterclatterclatter of the tractor engine just doesnt give me the same buzz when I take it for a B road blast.
Original post by CAElite
A nice sound.

I know its dumb but I recently sold my lovely sounding (but broken :frown: ) Alfa Romeo and replaced it with a VAG 1.9tdi (Skoda Fabia VRS). Im loving the 50mpg commutes and OHGODTORQUE from 2k RPM but the clatterclatterclatter of the tractor engine just doesnt give me the same buzz when I take it for a B road blast.

1.9 tdi whoah how much is the insurance on that then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waz96
1.9 tdi whoah how much is the insurance on that then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

about £650 a year. 21 years old with my license for 3 years. 0 points. 1 year no claims (gotta stop changing my vehicle every 6 months :tongue:). Pretty quick wee car. 0-60 in around 8.5-9seconds (reported 0-60 seems to vary between car mags / manufacturer number). It has an insane amount of pull in 2nd/3rd from 30-70mph though which feels fantastic to drive. Only had it for about a month now but would definetly recommend them for a cheap hot(warm? :colondollar:) hatch. Power delivery took a wee bit of getting used too, PD130 version of the 1.9tdi has a rather large turbo, theres a good 400ms or so delay in throttle response before you get a big chunk of power.

EDIT: If you are looking at a fabia VRS take a peak at the SEAT Ibiza 1.9TDI FR. Its essentially the same car but with 3 doors. Seat also do a 1.9TDI Cupra with a PD150 engine but thats considerably more to insure (went up to around 800 for me). They are all based on the (rather boring imo) VW Polo GTD so reliability and parts are solid. The 1.9TDI PD engine is loved by taxi drivers all over the UK and you frequently see them pop up with 200k+ miles on them and still going strong.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending