The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
I suppose this has made me focus on my other subjects more though so probably quite beneficial, what subjects are you doing this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess so yeah. I'm doing further maths, econ, chemistry, french and latin. I guess I can mess up two of them but I shouldn't really think about it like that- I'll try my best in all of them and hope I can get that A* I need. I am missing a proper essay subject like eng lit or history though, I hope I can pick up that skill if I get in. What subject do you think you have the best chance for an A* in?
Original post by stardude8
I guess so yeah. I'm doing further maths, econ, chemistry, french and latin. I guess I can mess up two of them but I shouldn't really think about it like that- I'll try my best in all of them and hope I can get that A* I need. I am missing a proper essay subject like eng lit or history though, I hope I can pick up that skill if I get in. What subject do you think you have the best chance for an A* in?

Econ probably but maybe further maths, English is too much of a risk

Don't know how you can face Latin, that subject's so hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Econ probably but maybe further maths, English is too much of a risk

Don't know how you can face Latin, that subject's so hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Econ, fm and chem I think I could get it in but not sure about the others.

English was always my hardest subject at gcse so I don't think I could do it at A-level. Good to have an essay subject I guess :smile:

Yeah it is hard, mainly because I don't have many timetabled lessons so a lot of self-study is involved - I enjoy it though, so I'm able to persevere.
Original post by stardude8
Econ, fm and chem I think I could get it in but not sure about the others.

English was always my hardest subject at gcse so I don't think I could do it at A-level. Good to have an essay subject I guess :smile:

Yeah it is hard, mainly because I don't have many timetabled lessons so a lot of self-study is involved - I enjoy it though, so I'm able to persevere.

Oh really? I'm just self teaching s3, couldn't imagine doing more than a few subjects completely on my own

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh really? I'm just self teaching s3, couldn't imagine doing more than a few subjects completely on my own

Posted from TSR Mobile

For some courses, like maths, where much of it is textbook-led, self-teaching isn't too bad- I'm doing fm by myself, but it makes you appreciate the amount of lesson time per subject you normally have - it's quite a lot of time to dedicate to one subject in lessons only, let alone the homework and revision they want you to do. I guess the important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing :smile:
Original post by morale_boost
I feel the same way about Columbia, that's one of the main things I want to find out from the open day tbh, the competition for each of the unis abroad

Mine's Wednesday 3rd of Feb, you?

Wednesday 4th of feb, so is yours the same day or Tuesday 3rd?
Original post by Wahrheit
Wednesday 4th of feb, so is yours the same day or Tuesday 3rd?

Wednesday the 4th, my bad
Original post by RuairiJH
Yeah but it only had 53 applicants this year. I was hoping the 104 would put people off and it seems like it did������

Also I did all the TSA practice papers and was getting high marks so St. John's was the only one using the TSA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats for the offer at Johns - plz may I ask about the TSA - any particular books you would recommend or any other tips? Many thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by novatech
Congrats for the offer at Johns - plz may I ask about the TSA - any particular books you would recommend or any other tips? Many thanks.

Tbh I didn't do too much practice for it, I did all the papers I could find online but I didn't do anything beyond that. I was doing a lot f practice for maths competitions at the time though which were much harder questions but involved similar approaches to questions so I'd maybe advise doing lots of the UK maths challenge questions if possible. Message me if you have any other questions if you want 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RuairiJH
Tbh I didn't do too much practice for it, I did all the papers I could find online but I didn't do anything beyond that. I was doing a lot f practice for maths competitions at the time though which were much harder questions but involved similar approaches to questions so I'd maybe advise doing lots of the UK maths challenge questions if possible. Message me if you have any other questions if you want ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your response...much appreciated. Yes, I shall msg you.
Economics Offer from Warwick!!! :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by aditkulkarni

Congrats! Is that your top choice? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
when did you apply?

Well done!I am still waiting
Congrats! Is that your top choice? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah it is, I got rejected at Oxford after interview so now Warwick is my firm :biggrin:
Original post by chiara97
when did you apply?

October 15th, you?
Thanks, yeah it is, I got rejected at Oxford after interview so now Warwick is my firm :biggrin:

Ah well, warwick's campus is so nice though, I loved it on the open days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick are mugging me off
Original post by EHZ17
Warwick are mugging me off

Lol you got everywhere else so quickly aswell
I know this may be old news, but I've just seen the QS world rankings for economics and LSE is 3rd while Cambridge is 10th? Is it cos they use different things like research and stuff

A bit surprising but I'm not complaining lol :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending