The Student Room Group

vet nursing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vscoobs22
Wow! Reading all of your threads seems like like I have an awful long way to go. I have just made up my mind (at 27 years old) that I want to be a Vet nurse!

Can anyone give me some advice of how to get into a practice? I am currently looking at 2 courses one being a foundation degree and the other being a level 3 qualification from Bicton college. Both require you to have a paid placement and at least 4 weeks work experience within a practice.

How did you all go about this? I have emailed a few practices however feel I shouldn't ring as I might block an emergency call!?!

I cant tell you how much some advice would mean to me! I am confused/panicked .com.

Thank you in advance

Viccy (Dartmoor, Devon)

p.s Good luck all of you on your interviews I am sure you will smash it! Just remember to breathe stay calm, and they have asked you to come for an interview because they have seen something that they want in you! So go and nail it! xxx

Hi Viccy
I'm in my 40s and am hoping to make a career change to vet nursing!
I have been offered a place at college on the level 3 diploma on condition of finding a training placement.
Get the list of approved training practices from the RVC website for your area and get ringing!
The pay is terrible and you probably won't get paid for your placement but from what I have been told and from a week's work experience in a busy practice it is a fantastic job and I just can't wait. Wish I had done it in my 20s.
Don't give up, I found it really difficult to get work experience but being able to do it outside of holidays was an advantage. If you get some work experience and they like you then it gives you a head start for a training placement.
Sam
Had NTU interview on Saturday. I think it went really well, the practical wasn't what I was expecting but found it easy to complete as well as all the other tasks. The staff were really friendly and made the interview feel really relaxed like a normal conversation.
My last interview is for Hartpury on Wednesday. I've been told I need to do a presentation on why I'm applying for the course, but don't really want to mess about with powerpoint so does anybody know if you can just speak it?
Reply 202
Hey guys so sorry to but in! I have applied for ntu and bio vet at Lincoln, I have an interview next month for Trent and it would be so helpful if someone would tell me what the questions are like? And anything else that would be useful! Ntu is by far my fave, but bioveterinary is another option but I'm still not sure xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Original post by cathaas96
I have one at the rvc on the 19th February, they just emailed me. Did you have any recommendations for preparation, and do you know if they having parking facilities?

Hiya! I had an RVC interview last Monday and I think it went ok? :smile: :s-smilie: it's kinda hard to judge how it went because it was my first interview so I had nothing to compare it to!

Preparation wise I'd say to look at a few animal welfare things and also consolidate everything you can remember from your work experience i.e. what you did, what skills you used :smile: I don't want to give too much away, on the day I went they told us that all the interviews would be of a similar style. So if I give too much away you could be at an advantage! :P

As for parking, there were places but they were almost full and we arrived 45 minutes early! There wasn't really a designated area for interviewees it was more a case of, wherever we could find a place!

Hope that helps! Good luck with your interview! :smile:
Reply 204
Original post by chino_tosca
Don't give up, I found it really difficult to get work experience but being able to do it outside of holidays was an advantage. If you get some work experience and they like you then it gives you a head start for a training placement.
Sam

Did you do this work experience while you weren't a student? I'm currently a mature student who wants to study the Level 3 Vet Nursing course in September 2016. However, they ask for 2 weeks work experience within a veterinary practice BEFORE starting the college course. Looking around on some of the websites, they seem to only accept students?? which obviously I'm not at the moment.
Has anyone had a reply from Nottingham Trent who went to the nterview on the 17th? They didn't say when they'd let us know.
Original post by Sopheen
Has anyone had a reply from Nottingham Trent who went to the nterview on the 17th? They didn't say when they'd let us know.

When I went to my interview for it in December they let me know one week later! :smile:
Original post by Jamie_11_x
When I went to my interview for it in December they let me know one week later! :smile:

Ah okay thanks :smile: should be soon then, think I want to firm it if RVC rejects me. Brackenhurst is such a nice campus.
Has anyone who applied in January heard anything from Middlesex? 😜
Original post by Liberty.
Has anyone who applied in January heard anything from Middlesex? 😜

Hi! Sent my ucas off on 5th of Jan and not heard anything apart from a confirmation email! I know a lot of people from college who have also applied and not heard anything yet!
Original post by meganrayc
Hi! Sent my ucas off on 5th of Jan and not heard anything apart from a confirmation email! I know a lot of people from college who have also applied and not heard anything yet!

Ahhh ok, I suppose that puts my mind at ease a little bit 😔😜
Ahhh ok, I suppose that puts my mind at ease a little bit 😔😜

I know right! I'm still waiting for two unis which are harper adams and middlesex! Its so annoying, constantly refreshing my emails!
I know right! I'm still waiting for two unis which are harper adams and middlesex! Its so annoying, constantly refreshing my emails!

I thought I'd hear sooner considering I applied quite late 😜😓
And Middlesex apparently give out offers first come first serve 😭
I thought I'd hear sooner considering I applied quite late 😜😓
And Middlesex apparently give out offers first come first serve 😭

When did you apply again? I hope that isn't the case:frown: :frown:
When did you apply again? I hope that isn't the case:frown: :frown:

9th Jan 😔
That's what the Middlesex online chat rep guy said 😭😭 it's such a stupid way of doing things
9th Jan ������
That's what the Middlesex online chat rep guy said ������������ it's such a stupid way of doing things

Hey, I applied the 13th or 14th and haven't heard anything back bar 4 acknowledgement letters and Nottingham Trent declined! :frown: Getting worried since I have seen so many people have had offers already! :/
Original post by hdillon95
Hey, I applied the 13th or 14th and haven't heard anything back bar 4 acknowledgement letters and Nottingham Trent declined! :frown: Getting worried since I have seen so many people have had offers already! :/

I applied early October time so I'd already had interviews etc booked for January. Be patient they'll get back to you soon :smile:
Did nottingham trent say why they rejected you? I hope it's not because all their places are full!
Original post by Sopheen
I applied early October time so I'd already had interviews etc booked for January. Be patient they'll get back to you soon :smile:
Did nottingham trent say why they rejected you? I hope it's not because all their places are full!

Finger crossed anyways this waiting game is so hard! Have you had offers? :smile:
Eh nope just says on track it was either unsuccessful, withdrawn or the course is full. :/
Original post by hdillon95
Finger crossed anyways this waiting game is so hard! Have you had offers? :smile:
Eh nope just says on track either unsuccessful, withdrawn or the course is full. :/

Well you still 4 more to go for.
Yes I've had an offer from Bristol and Hartpury and I'm waiting on Nottingham Trent and the RVC who don't respond until March! Im expecting rejection from them though. Where else have you applied for?
Original post by Sopheen
Well you still 4 more to go for.
Yes I've had an offer from Bristol and Hartpury and I'm waiting on Nottingham Trent and the RVC who don't respond until March! Im expecting rejection from them though. Where else have you applied for?

Congrats!:smile: Bristol, Harper Adams, Middlesex and Sparsholt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending