The Student Room Group

Any point in bulking and cutting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rurounikenji
Just want to put on more muscle but still remain lean

Right, I would suggest taking motorbiker's advice and eat at maintenance and work out at least 3 days a work, you'll definitely see results in a month
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh my best strength gains after a few years have come from periods when I'm maintaining my weight or losing slightly.

But if you want to get fat then go ahead.

I'd hit around maintenance calories personally. You'll lose some fat and gain muscle.

Whilst I agree, I've made great gains eating maintenance, for a newb, I think starting at a small surplus is usually easier as I didn't and I suspect nearly everyone trains sub par as a newb so starting off on a surplus will help develop strength off sub par training and also it forces people to change their diet to eat more protein and usually sort their **** out.

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
I wouldn't listen to angry cucumber if you want to be lean and muscly, if you want to be big and fat and lift heavy weights then listen to him.

I think I touched a nerve :heart: Aww :heart:

Evidently bs claim, is bs

Also cucumber science suggests fat cells do remain pretty much constant in your life :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7378349.stm

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-fat-cells-from-your-body

The number of fat cells in your body will remain the same but the amount of fat they store varies.
Being a section mod and all cucumber I thought you wouldn't state ''fact'' without evidence, but then again you do like your pseudo science :mmm:

I'll admit I wasn't aware of fat cell number staying consitent throughout adult life, however as OP is an adolescent by the fact being a newb and on this site, cell number mightn't be determined yet.

The fat you lose when you cut is lost, thats the point OP I think got confused on

I thought you claimed to do a biology degree or similar, you should have access to all kinds of papers so shouldn't need to link to that laughable first article btw.

You're also yet to disprove the scientific fact of metabolism being consistent within a few hundred calories of individuals of the same sex :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber

I think I touched a nerve :heart: Aww :heart:

Evidently bs claim, is bs

I'll admit I wasn't aware of fat cell number staying consitent throughout adult life, however as OP is an adolescent by the fact being a newb and on this site, cell number mightn't be determined yet.

The fat you lose when you cut is lost, thats the point OP I think got confused on

I thought you claimed to do a biology degree or similar, you should have access to all kinds of papers so shouldn't need to link to that laughable first article btw.

You're also yet to disprove the scientific fact of metabolism being consistent within a few hundred calories of individuals of the same sex :smile:

No not really I'm pretty calm I just like arguing :ahee:

I never said I did a biology degree, that's why I quoted 2 articles just to increase reliability.

Hold up hold up, do you really think that a few hundred calories isn't a lot? :hmmm:
No not really I'm pretty calm I just like arguing :ahee:

I never said I did a biology degree, that's why I quoted 2 articles just to increase reliability.

Hold up hold up, do you really think that a few hundred calories isn't a lot? :hmmm:

I don't think a twix is a lot
I don't think a twix is a lot

Two people same diet same calorie intake each day, one has a metabolic 300 calories higher than the other.

So everyday one person is eating the equivalent of 300 calories more each day, you don't think he's going to be bigger?

A twix is 250 calories btw :cool:
Two people same diet same calorie intake each day, one has a metabolic 300 calories higher than the other.

So everyday one person is eating the equivalent of 300 calories more each day, you don't think he's going to be bigger?

A twix is 250 calories btw :cool:

The wonders of the human body allow for small fluctuations in metabolic rate, however these as I've already shown with peer reviewed studies that they are not significant changes between individuals and hence your metabolic rate isn't an excuse for such things like being an ectomorph and hence somatotropes are widely disproven. To save the thread from further derailment, I'll not say anymore on the topic. If you wish to continue this - make a thread :smile:
ok guys. Just to clarify, once more. By bulking, you put on muscle and mass and then you cut, to keep the muscle. Now obviously , i am aware that the cut look is somewhat temporary in accordance to diet. So, say i go back to eating a crappy diet once i reach to the cut look, my muscles (gained from that bulk and cut cycle) will fade away, right?

Now once i have reached to that cut look (1st round), to put on more muscle, will i need to renter another bulk and cut phrase (2nd time)
and thus again (3rd time) to put on more muscle? Is that the way round it all?
Also, lets say i decided to go for another 2nd bulk, will the results of the cut (1st round), still show on me as i am carrying out my second bulk? Or will it dissapeaar as the bulk will be bringing some fat?

Also, once i reach to that cut look 1st time round, can i actually stay with that same look?

Sorry guys, if i may sound confusing. I really hope, i managed to explain myself, properly .

And i am in my early 20's btw lol
Hi, I'll try and break this into pieces for you :smile:

ok guys. Just to clarify, once more. By bulking, you put on muscle and mass and then you cut, to keep the muscle. Now obviously , i am aware that the cut look is somewhat temporary in accordance to diet. So, say i go back to eating a crappy diet once i reach to the cut look, my muscles (gained from that bulk and cut cycle) will fade away, right?

Yes you cut to keep as much muscle as you can, whilst attempting to remove fat :smile:

Going to a "crappy" diet, diet and training dependant, will impact on your physique and strength

Now once i have reached to that cut look (1st round), to put on more muscle, will i need to renter another bulk and cut phrase (2nd time)

Depends entirely on the results, if you're happy you could just maintain your body at what it currently is/will be.

and thus again (3rd time) to put on more muscle? Is that the way round it all?

Most people go through bulk and cut cycles at least to start with, but with more experience a lot of people eat at around maintenance and build muscle slowly but steadily and put on minimal fat (compared to a bulk)

Also, lets say i decided to go for another 2nd bulk, will the results of the cut (1st round), still show on me as i am carrying out my second bulk? Or will it dissapeaar as the bulk will be bringing some fat?

With bulking comes a caloric surplis i.e. you eat more than you expend and hence you will put on some fat and hence you will lose the "cut" look with bulking.

Also, once i reach to that cut look 1st time round, can i actually stay with that same look?

Sorry guys, if i may sound confusing. I really hope, i managed to explain myself, properly .

And i am in my early 20's btw lol

Very much so, yes and you explained perfectly well. If there's anything else you'd like to ask feel free to ask :smile:
Hi, I'll try and break this into pieces for you :smile:

Yes you cut to keep as much muscle as you can, whilst attempting to remove fat :smile:

Going to a "crappy" diet, diet and training dependant, will impact on your physique and strength

Depends entirely on the results, if you're happy you could just maintain your body at what it currently is/will be.

Most people go through bulk and cut cycles at least to start with, but with more experience a lot of people eat at around maintenance and build muscle slowly but steadily and put on minimal fat (compared to a bulk)

With bulking comes a caloric surplis i.e. you eat more than you expend and hence you will put on some fat and hence you will lose the "cut" look with bulking.

Very much so, yes and you explained perfectly well. If there's anything else you'd like to ask feel free to ask :smile:

OMG, dude thank you so much! You really have put most of worries to an ease now. Thank you so much. So yeah, i am going to do a bulk and cut, and hope to try and maintain the cut look as much as i can.

I have heard the best times to bulk is during the winter and then cut during summer. However, it's now jan. Is it too late to join the bulk cycle so that i can cut during summer. Or should i just hold the bulk to winter later this year?

Thanks!
so guys, will i need to worry about fat cells being increased and staying in my body for the rest of my life, if i decide to go on a lean bulk?
also, what are the things i need to cover during the whole bulk and cut phrase e.g. macro/s, calories etc. I have't got a clue on the things i need to cover lol
so guys, will i need to worry about fat cells being increased and staying in my body for the rest of my life, if i decide to go on a lean bulk?

No, you won't.
OMG, dude thank you so much! You really have put most of worries to an ease now. Thank you so much. So yeah, i am going to do a bulk and cut, and hope to try and maintain the cut look as much as i can.

I have heard the best times to bulk is during the winter and then cut during summer. However, it's now jan. Is it too late to join the bulk cycle so that i can cut during summer. Or should i just hold the bulk to winter later this year?

Thanks!

It's personal preference how long you cut/ bulk for and what time of year

also, what are the things i need to cover during the whole bulk and cut phrase e.g. macro/s, calories etc. I have't got a clue on the things i need to cover lol

Have a read of the diet and weights part of the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Don't worry about the number of fat cells

Thanks!

People only say that because aesthetically you can get your abs out in summer but you can't really do that in winter. There's no significant physiological or other difference that would affect your training based on season.
It's personal preference how long you cut/ bulk for and what time of year

Have a read of the diet and weights part of the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Don't worry about the number of fat cells

Thanks for the reply. I know personal preference take into account, but how long would you say is best to bulk for? Given my position
Thanks for the reply. I know personal preference take into account, but how long would you say is best to bulk for? Given my position

Until you look in the mirror and you think you're too fat
Until you look in the mirror and you think you're too fat

haha , fair enough! Also, as i have stated earlier, i haven't been gym in like 3 months or so. So, do you think i should just go gym like normal for a month or so and then head straight into the whole bulk cycle or should i just go straight back to gym and immediately jump on the bulk phrase?

I know it's a matter of personal choice but do i need to restore some basic strength that may have possibly been lost as i haven't been active for 3 months?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
People only say that because aesthetically you can get your abs out in summer but you can't really do that in winter. There's no significant physiological or other difference that would affect your training based on season.

The thing is, i would love to be in the cutting phrase for this summer but i'm not sure if feb to summer is a decent amount of time for bulking...
what do you guys think of this? Bulk from july to feb and then feb to may/june ish to cut. I just want to gain the best results, possible. Also, stupid question but how does one maintain the effects of the cut after they have finished the cutting season?

Thanks!
The wonders of the human body allow for small fluctuations in metabolic rate, however these as I've already shown with peer reviewed studies that they are not significant changes between individuals and hence your metabolic rate isn't an excuse for such things like being an ectomorph and hence somatotropes are widely disproven. To save the thread from further derailment, I'll not say anymore on the topic. If you wish to continue this - make a thread :smile:

As I can't post on your wall (why not? :frown: ) I'll post here, a biology student called you out on a different thread which I'll link later on about metabolism.

Didn't directly call you out, just your principles about metabolism.

I have a few more questions I want to ask you but I can't post on your wall :'(

Quick Reply

Latest