The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey.

Unconditional offer for Physics at Lincoln here. Sent off some photocopies of my 2014 grades. Rejected last year and so now I am travelling so it all turned out alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by personage
no, sounds a great place to land!:smile: what subject do you study?

I did Law :smile:
Original post by EndorsToi
Hey.

Unconditional offer for Physics at Lincoln here. Sent off some photocopies of my 2014 grades. Never actually got interviewed by them so probably didn't make the cut for Worcester but am very happy with Lincoln. Rejected last year and so now I am travelling so it all turned out alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, did you send legally certified photocopies? Who did you go to for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by House MD
Hey, did you send legally certified photocopies? Who did you go to for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an email a couple of days after the offer from Lincoln saying that "legally certified" copies is just a standard Oxford line for applicants with grades already and that I could just scan them and email them in. They only wanted the certificates from 2014 as well.

What's your situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EndorsToi
I got an email a couple of days after the offer from Lincoln saying that "legally certified" copies is just a standard Oxford line for applicants with grades already and that I could just scan them and email them in. They only wanted the certificates from 2014 as well.

What's your situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unconditional offer holder still waiting to send my photocopies in! I'll email my college to see if they share the same view as Lincoln. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem, HMD. Which college and course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by personage
Thanks admissionshost...so if you're moved on pre-interview doesn't mean a rejection by that college?

Very often colleges are reluctant to give up candidates. Evening the pools, however, is in the best interest of the applicants and helps ensure that the outcome of the process (gaining a place or not gaining a place) is not distorted by the popularity of a particular college in a given year. In addition, it also helps ensure that candidates stay at the college coordinating their interviews, rather than being accommodated at an overflow college. This helps make the experience more relaxing, so candidates perform at their best in interviews.
Reply 867
Original post by House MD
Medicine at New College!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fellow New Collegian :biggrin:

I just got impatient and withdrew from Durham and St Andrews - even though it is exactly 100 days from the Track decision deadline Oxford is now official! :awesome:
Original post by AdamY

I just got impatient and withdrew from Durham and St Andrews - even though it is exactly 100 days from the Track decision deadline Oxford is now official! :awesome:

Same here with my Imperial interview next week. No point in wasting time when I could firm it now.

Any other Lincolnians(is that the word?)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamY

:biggrin:

Haha, congrats!! I really hope time flies until October.

Which subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 870
I am international stduent and studying IB (HL in Phy, Chem and Econ, Math in SL) and thinking to apply Econ and Management in Oct. Very much appreciate of E&M offer holders can share:

a. Your PG
b. TSA score and
c. Conditional offers
d. which college

If my PG is not getting close to what you have got, I may consider not to apply.

Many many thanks.
Hello.

I am new to this forum but I really really need HELP!

I hold offers from Oxford University for PPE and from LSE for Philosophy and Economics and I am having trouble to decide which one of them to select as my firm choice.

My school teachers are pushing me towards Oxford I think because it will look good for Ofsted and I feel like I have gone through a lot of trouble (TSA, interviews, etc) only for Oxford. Also when I was there the town felt enchanted.

But I feel that my heart lies with LSE. These are my reasons:

-The job prospects seem to be much better - the course, despite lacking compulsory politics, looks more interesting and applicable to today.
-Despite Oxford's magical aura, I think London may be more advantageous at the end of the day - there is more to do on a daily basis and I can find a job more easily, both during my studies if I need to and afterwards.
-Also I feel that LSE will provide me with a better student experience. Oxford's education from what I heard is overwhelming and you do not have time to enjoy yourself during your studies. The traditional aspect of Oxford (formal hall etc) looks appealing but I have been told that this is only interesting in the beginning.
-The reputation of LSE is improving and of Oxford diminishing slowly from what I can see. I want to be ahead in life and so maybe LSE will be better for this.

As you can see, I personally prefer LSE but I am having trouble declining Oxford because of the "excitement" created around it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Martin
Original post by powelsmartin
Hello.

I am new to this forum but I really really need HELP!

I hold offers from Oxford University for PPE and from LSE for Philosophy and Economics and I am having trouble to decide which one of them to select as my firm choice.

My school teachers are pushing me towards Oxford I think because it will look good for Ofsted and I feel like I have gone through a lot of trouble (TSA, interviews, etc) only for Oxford. Also when I was there the town felt enchanted.

But I feel that my heart lies with LSE. These are my reasons:

-The job prospects seem to be much better - the course, despite lacking compulsory politics, looks more interesting and applicable to today.
-Despite Oxford's magical aura, I think London may be more advantageous at the end of the day - there is more to do on a daily basis and I can find a job more easily, both during my studies if I need to and afterwards.
-Also I feel that LSE will provide me with a better student experience. Oxford's education from what I heard is overwhelming and you do not have time to enjoy yourself during your studies. The traditional aspect of Oxford (formal hall etc) looks appealing but I have been told that this is only interesting in the beginning.
-The reputation of LSE is improving and of Oxford diminishing slowly from what I can see. I want to be ahead in life and so maybe LSE will be better for this.

As you can see, I personally prefer LSE but I am having trouble declining Oxford because of the "excitement" created around it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Martin

If you feel that Oxford just isn't right for you, turn them down. Don't live your life to the expectations of others if you know that doing so would make you unhappy.

In relation to your specific points though, here are my two cents:

I'm not necessarily convinced that the job prospects of LSE are that much better, or that LSE is outstripping Oxford in terms of reputation. Is there any thing in particular that makes you think that way? As far as I can tell, Oxford is a target for many recruiters (certainly is for my area, Law). I'm not sure which sector you're thinking of particularly, but if you're interested in Finance/ Consulting, I can assure you that Oxford is indeed a target. I don't think Oxford is going down anytime soon, but that's my opinion.

The tutors generally discourage having jobs during term-time (but Oxford has long breaks, so you could certainly work during the vacation if you wanted to). Recruiters regularly hold events in Oxford (including recruiting in person in Oxford), and traveling to London isn't that much of a hassle, especially if you take the train.

Oxford is a lot of work, but most people adopt a "work hard, play hard(er)" mentality and have lives outside their studies. The traditional aspects may or may not be fun, but I personally still enjoy college-hopping for formals and going to special dinners and events 3+ years on. :tongue: I know people who've never cared for it though, so it isn't a universal opinion.

At the end of the day though, only you know what's right for you. Your parents, teachers, and everyone else can only offer you their thoughts, but that's all it is - their opinions. If your heart lies with LSE, go for it.
Original post by mishieru07
If you feel that Oxford just isn't right for you, turn them down. Don't live your life to the expectations of others if you know that doing so would make you unhappy.

In relation to your specific points though, here are my two cents:

I'm not necessarily convinced that the job prospects of LSE are that much better, or that LSE is outstripping Oxford in terms of reputation. Is there any thing in particular that makes you think that way? As far as I can tell, Oxford is a target for many recruiters (certainly is for my area, Law). I'm not sure which sector you're thinking of particularly, but if you're interested in Finance/ Consulting, I can assure you that Oxford is indeed a target. I don't think Oxford is going down anytime soon, but that's my opinion.

The tutors generally discourage having jobs during term-time (but Oxford has long breaks, so you could certainly work during the vacation if you wanted to). Recruiters regularly hold events in Oxford (including recruiting in person in Oxford), and traveling to London isn't that much of a hassle, especially if you take the train.

Oxford is a lot of work, but most people adopt a "work hard, play hard(er)" mentality and have lives outside their studies. The traditional aspects may or may not be fun, but I personally still enjoy college-hopping for formals and going to special dinners and events 3+ years on. :tongue: I know people who've never cared for it though, so it isn't a universal opinion.

At the end of the day though, only you know what's right for you. Your parents, teachers, and everyone else can only offer you their thoughts, but that's all it is - their opinions. If your heart lies with LSE, go for it.

Hello and thank you for your input. Are you a current student at Oxford?

Regarding the job prospects, LSE has better "employer reputation" on the world league tables and also when I did work experience at a large consulting firm this summer, they all told me that they would pick an LSE graduate over Oxford because they are better adapted to the "real world". I'm not sure I want to go into consulting, however, I want to keep my options open as I am merely 17 years old.

I would like to have the option of say tutoring a school pupil during term-time to make ends meet if it comes to it. Financial support from both universities is generous but I feel that this is a good safety net. Can you find jobs during vacations with LSE also?

Yes, I have heard of that mentality. But how do you find the time to "play hard(er)" if you are constantly working? I have been told also that Oxford exams are unbelievably stressful and intense since your whole degree depends on them. Is that a risk?

I apologise for all of these questions, but as you probably understand, this is a big issue for me.

Thank you.

Martin

Regarding the job prospects, LSE has better "employer reputation" on the world league tables and also when I did work experience at a large consulting firm this summer, they all told me that they would pick an LSE graduate over Oxford because they are better adapted to the "real world". I'm not sure I want to go into consulting, however, I want to keep my options open as I am merely 17 years old.

I would like to have the option of say tutoring a school pupil during term-time to make ends meet if it comes to it. Financial support from both universities is generous but I feel that this is a good safety net. Can you find jobs during vacations with LSE also?

Yes, I have heard of that mentality. But how do you find the time to "play hard(er)" if you are constantly working? I have been told also that Oxford exams are unbelievably stressful and intense since your whole degree depends on them. Is that a risk?

I apologise for all of these questions, but as you probably understand, this is a big issue for me.

Thank you.

Martin

The view of that consulting firm is not shared by many, because it's obviously a ridiculous opinion.

Thank you.

Martin

I still think that overall, you're no worse off going to Oxford than you are going to LSE and vice versa. Both are held in high regard in the UK and internationally (I'm also not entirely sure that LSE can be said to enjoy a better reputation worldwide; it's not true for my sector in my home country at least, but perhaps it's a different story in Finance). From what I know of though, Oxonians regularly go into consulting/ investment banking, so it's not like an entire career path gets shut off completely because you went to Oxford instead of LSE. But do as you will - I have little experience of these industries myself, so maybe you should ask on Finance forums to get a better picture?

There are actually charitable tutoring schemes in Oxford, where students volunteer to teach or mentor, so I imagine you could tutor on the sides if you can find a willing tutee. In terms of finding vacation jobs, I meant it in the sense that you could get a job simply because of how long our breaks are (6 weeks in Christmas and Easter, 2-3 months in Summer). There are some employment opportunities in Oxford (eg conference work, helping with interviews, bartending at the college bar), but it's not an awful lot.

You simply make time to have fun, and you acknowledge that you aren't going to finish your entire reading list. :tongue: I volunteered, sang in the Chapel choir, danced (including competitive Dancesport for one year), and was on various executive committees, amongst doing other things like Drama Cuppers and mooting (legal debating). I also ended up doing alright in my degree, so it's definitely possible. People in general do not spend all their time working (I'd probably go stir-crazy if I had to. In fact, having extra-curriculars makes me more efficient because I know I have to work if I want to do x later, and it gives me a break from work).

Regarding exams, that's certainly a factor for considerations. You are correct in that your entire degree classification hinges on one set of exams taken right at the end of your degree. How big of a risk that is depends on (A) whether there's anything particularly riding on your degree classification; for instance, my Masters offer was conditional on my grades, and (B) does it matter for your industry. For solicitor-wannabes, a 2i is absolutely fine, and while getting a First may be advantageous, the difference isn't significant. I don't know how consulting / finance works, so definitely check that out.

It might also be worth taking into account the spread of degree classifications (ie how likely are you to get a First/2i/2ii/3rd); you can see Oxford PPE's Examiners Report here: http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images/stories/Web_PDFs/Exam_Reports/FHS_PPE_Internal_Examiners_Report_2013_final.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
The view of that consulting firm is not shared by many, because it's obviously a ridiculous opinion.

I'm sorry, but could you please elaborate?
They gave me a quite detailed explanation and a break-down of the skills and knowledge that the graduates of both institutions have and said that while Oxford is highly regarded, they would have to spend quite a lot of time training the graduate and getting him/her up to scratch while an LSE graduate will be much better prepared to take the job. Also they said that graduates from LSE tend to be easier to cooperate with because Oxford graduates, at least at the start, tend to be very big-headed and expect everything to be served to them on a golden platter. Thus they prefer to hire LSE graduates simply because they are much less of a headache and much better equiped for the job.
Original post by mishieru07
I still think that overall, you're no worse off going to Oxford than you are going to LSE and vice versa. Both are held in high regard in the UK and internationally (I'm also not entirely sure that LSE can be said to enjoy a better reputation worldwide; it's not true for my sector in my home country at least, but perhaps it's a different story in Finance). From what I know of though, Oxonians regularly go into consulting/ investment banking, so it's not like an entire career path gets shut off completely because you went to Oxford instead of LSE. But do as you will - I have little experience of these industries myself, so maybe you should ask on Finance forums to get a better picture?

There are actually charitable tutoring schemes in Oxford, where students volunteer to teach or mentor, so I imagine you could tutor on the sides if you can find a willing tutee. In terms of finding vacation jobs, I meant it in the sense that you could get a job simply because of how long our breaks are (6 weeks in Christmas and Easter, 2-3 months in Summer). There are some employment opportunities in Oxford (eg conference work, helping with interviews, bartending at the college bar), but it's not an awful lot.

You simply make time to have fun, and you acknowledge that you aren't going to finish your entire reading list. :tongue: I volunteered, sang in the Chapel choir, danced (including competitive Dancesport for one year), and was on various executive committees, amongst doing other things like Drama Cuppers and mooting (legal debating). I also ended up doing alright in my degree, so it's definitely possible. People in general do not spend all their time working (I'd probably go stir-crazy if I had to. In fact, having extra-curriculars makes me more efficient because I know I have to work if I want to do x later, and it gives me a break from work).

Regarding exams, that's certainly a factor for considerations. You are correct in that your entire degree classification hinges on one set of exams taken right at the end of your degree. How big of a risk that is depends on (A) whether there's anything particularly riding on your degree classification; for instance, my Masters offer was conditional on my grades, and (B) does it matter for your industry. For solicitor-wannabes, a 2i is absolutely fine, and while getting a First may be advantageous, the difference isn't significant. I don't know how consulting / finance works, so definitely check that out.

It might also be worth taking into account the spread of degree classifications (ie how likely are you to get a First/2i/2ii/3rd); you can see Oxford PPE's Examiners Report here: http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images/stories/Web_PDFs/Exam_Reports/FHS_PPE_Internal_Examiners_Report_2013_final.pdf

Thank you very much for this.

So the tutoring schemes are only on a voluntary basis - not paid? I feel like I have a lot to offer to children but I don't think I would want to do this without a remuneration.

Just to clarify - the only way you can enjoy yourself is if you don't do all your work? I would definitely want to do my very best and get a first class honours degree, I don't think I would want it all to rest on the basis of how I feel the few days of exams...

Thanks again.
I'm sorry, but could you please elaborate?
They gave me a quite detailed explanation and a break-down of the skills and knowledge that the graduates of both institutions have and said that while Oxford is highly regarded, they would have to spend quite a lot of time training the graduate and getting him/her up to scratch while an LSE graduate will be much better prepared to take the job. Also they said that graduates from LSE tend to be easier to cooperate with because Oxford graduates, at least at the start, tend to be very big-headed and expect everything to be served to them on a golden platter. Thus they prefer to hire LSE graduates simply because they are much less of a headache and much better equiped for the job.

What skills and knowledge is the consulting firm under the impression LSE graduates have over Oxford? To be blunt, it's pretty funny to even contemplate the average LSE grad being on par with the typical Oxford grad given LSE attribute significant weighting (for competitive courses) on the personal statement, as opposed to ability.
Original post by Noble.
What skills and knowledge is the consulting firm under the impression LSE graduates have over Oxford? To be blunt, it's pretty funny to even contemplate the average LSE grad being on par with the typical Oxford grad given LSE attribute significant weighting (for competitive courses) on the personal statement, as opposed to ability.

At LSE there is a greater focus on current affairs and problem solving that Oxford lacks - the latter's course is much more theoretical and delved into history. I do not mean to attack Oxford but this is indeed what you see if you compare the course contents.

As for the admissions procedures - this is debatable. LSE looks at your academic aptitude above all, your grades in other words, and then at your personal statement in case there are any doubts. And, logically, in university it is your academic potential that matters. On the other hand, the interviews cause you a lot of stress and may not be representative at all of the person's abilities. There is much more of a luck factor and unpredictability in Oxford's admissions procedures - a classmate of mine got rejected for Biology despite having As in all the sciences and maths in his AS levels (which is a great achievement considering the average performance of my school). Of course, anecdotal evidence is not really evidence but most certainly the admissions procedures are not something to judge a university on. One of the main reasons I am contemplating over this issue is the tenuity and stress I had to go through specifically for Oxford and I do not feel that these things helped me exhibit my potential any better.

Thank you for your opinion.

Latest