The Student Room Group

Americamp 2015

Starting this post for guys to comment and say what camp they're at, hopefully people can find people they're working with! I can't seem to find anybody working at my camp :| ... Ive been placed at Chestnut Lake, and to say I'm excited is an understatement! :smile:
Original post by KirryDesigner
Starting this post for guys to comment and say what camp they're at, hopefully people can find people they're working with! I can't seem to find anybody working at my camp :| ... Ive been placed at Chestnut Lake, and to say I'm excited is an understatement! :smile:

I really shouldn't comment as I haven't been placed (actually really doubting I will), but if I do, I'll edit this post with the camp name.

That's an amazing camp! Trails End/Chestnut Lake were the first camp I spoke to at the camp fair and the lady was so so nice. She told me outright they didn't have any positions that suited me, but still spoke to me anyway, and gave me advice. You're really lucky and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!
Original post by Mojojojo
I really shouldn't comment as I haven't been placed (actually really doubting I will), but if I do, I'll edit this post with the camp name.

That's an amazing camp! Trails End/Chestnut Lake were the first camp I spoke to at the camp fair and the lady was so so nice. She told me outright they didn't have any positions that suited me, but still spoke to me anyway, and gave me advice. You're really lucky and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!

Oh it's fine, it's just a general americamp discussion really, just put that to give it some form of topic. But thankyou! I really hope I do! And you have plenty of time to get placed! Have you started emailing camps? If you should email them with your CCUSAID and get them to have a look at you, what is it that you're trying to teach at a camp?
Oh it's fine, it's just a general americamp discussion really, just put that to give it some form of topic. But thankyou! I really hope I do! And you have plenty of time to get placed! Have you started emailing camps? If you should email them with your CCUSAID and get them to have a look at you, what is it that you're trying to teach at a camp?

Yeah, I've emailed maybe 6? Didn't get a reply from any! What are you teaching at Chestnut? I just want to be a general counsellor to be honest, but if not then arts/cooking, but I don't have amazing experience in them - just for fun really. I have experience with kids at a primary school (though a fair few years ago) and currently volunteer with kids whilst at uni. So I hope I have a chance. The camp fair was the most disheartening experience of my life though, so that's why I'm doubting it to much.
Original post by Mojojojo
Yeah, I've emailed maybe 6? Didn't get a reply from any! What are you teaching at Chestnut? I just want to be a general counsellor to be honest, but if not then arts/cooking, but I don't have amazing experience in them - just for fun really. I have experience with kids at a primary school (though a fair few years ago) and currently volunteer with kids whilst at uni. So I hope I have a chance. The camp fair was the most disheartening experience of my life though, so that's why I'm doubting it to much.

Take a look at camp carolina, they were a possibility for me if it went south at the camp fairs! Ill be teaching woodwork at chestnut, bit of a different one right ha! Nah, stay positive, course you've got a chance, you have the experience! Keep going with the emailing... fingers crossed for you!
Just wanted to say hey! Hope everyone is well! It's still very early on in the season for being #plACed so please do not worry.

We also have our next camp fair in Manchester on February 15th and of course there will be an insane amount of #FreeBiscuits and bonkers action going down!

AmeriCamp x
I was being reviewed by a camp I really liked the look of but they must've decided they didn't want me, and now another camp has asked to interview me but I really don't think the camp is for me. Has anyone else rejected an offer but been placed afterwards? I'm worried that if I don't take the interview I may not get another chance. Don't really know what to do! :frown:
Hey, take the interview anyway, they may change your mind in the interview and it will give you the chance to ask any questions, just because you have the interview doesn't mean that you have to take the offer if they give you one! :smile: I got offered an interview which I declined, then went to the camp fair and got placed... you have plenty of time! :smile: in the meantime, in the words of Americamp .. EAT BISCUITS! :smile:
Hey, take the interview anyway, they may change your mind in the interview and it will give you the chance to ask any questions, just because you have the interview doesn't mean that you have to take the offer if they give you one! :smile: I got offered an interview which I declined, then went to the camp fair and got placed... you have plenty of time! :smile: in the meantime, in the words of Americamp .. EAT BISCUITS! :smile:

Americamp said if I decline the offer after an interview that my coordinator would be annoyed with the time they'd spent on my application. So I think it's best just to leave it if I'm not keen. The email said to message back if I wanted an interview, so I'm thinking if I don't reply they'll know I'm not interested. It's difficult because if I don't try for this camp I may not even be placed. I wish multiple camps could look at you at once and you had more of a choice. :frown:
Hey,

I'm with Americamp and I've just been placed at a camp, but without an interview with the camp or any previous contact with them. I've looked into the camp and really don't think it's for me :frown:

I am getting really worried about it. Am I allowed to reject the placement? I don't want to contact Americamp and them be really annoyed with me for not wanting to go there. I coach gymnastics (and mentioned this A LOT in my application) but this camp doesn't seem to do gymnastics at all - it's a girl scout camp with a lot of arts and crafts and wilderness stuff and although I'm sure it's great, it doesn't interest me.

Help?!

Thanks! x
Hey, I've been placed at the international gymnastics camp and was wondering if anyone is going to the London orientation in April? x
Original post by beckyhoweareyou
Hey,

I'm with Americamp and I've just been placed at a camp, but without an interview with the camp or any previous contact with them. I've looked into the camp and really don't think it's for me :frown:

I am getting really worried about it. Am I allowed to reject the placement? I don't want to contact Americamp and them be really annoyed with me for not wanting to go there. I coach gymnastics (and mentioned this A LOT in my application) but this camp doesn't seem to do gymnastics at all - it's a girl scout camp with a lot of arts and crafts and wilderness stuff and although I'm sure it's great, it doesn't interest me.

Help?!

Thanks! x

If you really don't like it and can't see yourself there then definitely contact Americamp. Just weigh up if you'd rather not go at all, because that's a possibility if you aren't placed again. You can also defer the year, as they won't return the deposit if you aren't placed through your own actions. I was offered an interview at a camp I didn't like, it just really didn't grab my attention and wasn't for me. I just thought that if I'm not placed I'll get a job this summer and defer for next year. I might come to regret it this Summer if noone wants me, but I just know I wouldn't have enjoyed myself there.
Original post by beckyhoweareyou
Hey,

Help?!

Thanks! x

Hi!

Speaking as somebody who has already done camp and is going back as a returner this summer, I would tell you to strongly question rejecting a camp. Camp is very often quite different to how you expect it to be, usually in a good way.

I know you say you don't think it's for you but you need to remember that you're very new into this camp thing whereas the people placing and hiring you have years of experience behind you. Long story short, camps don't hire people who they don't think will fit in to the dynamic of their camp and sometimes, they may know where you fit better than you do because they have the experience.

Obviously it's your choice to make and if you desperately want to coach gymnastics then obviously a camp without that sport may not be for you and you're well within your rights to reject a camp but you're then also running the risk of not being placed anywhere else.

Good luck! x
I'm not applying till next year(don't want to be away for results day)

but, what made you choose this firm over camp america?

And any tips for my application? I don't really have much experience, like I don't have a skill or anything( I do like english- so like creative writing and story telling, however I don't have any actual proper experience, apart from school work and babysitting young family members?)

I also have a part time job which involved working with children sorta, it's at a bowling alley so you know

Anything would be helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmEchelon
I'm not applying till next year(don't want to be away for results day)

but, what made you choose this firm over camp america?

And any tips for my application? I don't really have much experience, like I don't have a skill or anything( I do like english- so like creative writing and story telling, however I don't have any actual proper experience, apart from school work and babysitting young family members?)

I also have a part time job which involved working with children sorta, it's at a bowling alley so you know

Anything would be helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully we can help!

We are looking for people who love working with kids, that are passionate, hard working alongside a sense of adventure. If you have certain skill sets then that can help, but we can always point you in the right direction with a free biscuit or two.

Much Love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp Team x

Original post by AmeriCamp
Just wanted to say hey! Hope everyone is well! It's still very early on in the season for being #plACed so please do not worry.

We also have our next camp fair in Manchester on February 15th and of course there will be an insane amount of #FreeBiscuits and bonkers action going down!

AmeriCamp x

Do you have anymore camp fairs coming up? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest