The Student Room Group

I wear the hijab and everyone on the tube stares at me :/

I live in london and everytime im on the tube to work/school (in the mornings and evenings when i leave), I feel like the people on the train (who are mostly white) stare at me and even feel like maybe they think i'm a threat to them :/ idk if im being paranoid but do other muslim girls (who wear hijab) feel like this?
I guess i just feel uneasy and the odd one out. I live in a multi-cultural area so as soon as im in my local area, i feel automatically at ease

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, you do seem paranoid. It is an unspoken rule on the tube that you must stare at your feet or your newspaper at all times, and you are not allowed to speak to, or make eye contact with, anyone else. I doubt they were threatened by you.
Original post by prettyGirl101
I live in london and everytime im on the tube to work/school (in the mornings and evenings when i leave), I feel like the people on the train (who are mostly white) stare at me and even feel like maybe they think i'm a threat to them :/ idk if im being paranoid but do other muslim girls (who wear hijab) feel like this?
I guess i just feel uneasy and the odd one out. I live in a multi-cultural area so as soon as im in my local area, i feel automatically at ease
As an experiment, why don't you go out one day dressed in a fairly conservative western style - trousers, sensible shoes, no make up, coat - and compare the reactions with and without the hijab.

I will bet anything you go completely unnoticed.

The dilemma is that in the west, hijabs are very unusual and Islam has attracted a lot of media attention so people are going to stare. It's only natural.

Does not mean they think you are a threat, but it does make you different in the same way that say someone dressing outrageously to deliberately attract attention does.

Wearing western clothes will actually give you the protection from unwanted attention that the hijab ironically attracts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
As an experiment, why don't you go out one day dressed in a fairly conservative western style - trousers, sensible shoes, no make up, coat - and compare the reactions with and without the hijab.

I will bet anything you go completely unnoticed.

The dilemma is that in the west, hijabs are very unusual and Islam has attracted a lot of media attention so people are going to stare. It's only natural.

Does not mean they think you are a threat, but it does make you different in the same way that say someone dressing outrageously to deliberately attract attention does.

Wearing western clothes will actually give you the protection from unwanted attention that the hijab ironically attracts.

Have you ever been to London?
ALL of London is a multi-cultural area. If you were talking about Norfolk then I'd say fair enough, people might look because it's unusual to them, but the hijab is such a common sight in all of London I can't help but think you're just paranoid.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Have you ever been to London?
I lived in London for 20+ years. It has changed (not for the better) and that's putting it mildly.
Original post by seaholme
ALL of London is a multi-cultural area.

I'm inclined to agree. Every day I use the tube and every day I see women with hijabs. Nobody really takes much notice of anybody else on the tube.
I think they do definitely consider the possibility that you could be a threat, but don't necessarily think you as an individual are. That doesn't mean they don't consider the possibility, and they probably also are wary of anyone dressing in a conservative Islamic style, especially if some of them remember 7/7 etc.

However that is probably a long shot and I think you maybe slightly paranoid/insecure over this issue
Original post by neal95
I think they do definitely consider the possibility that you could be a threat, but don't necessarily think you as an individual are. That doesn't mean they don't consider the possibility, and they probably also are wary of anyone dressing in a conservative Islamic style, especially if some of them remember 7/7 etc.

However that is probably a long shot and I think you maybe slightly paranoid/insecure over this issue

I dunno I mean I remember Anders Breivik and I don't stare at white men
I get people glancing back at me and I don't even wear a hijab, if that makes you feel any better :tongue:
Reply 10
All in your mind. No one on the tube cares.
Original post by молодой гений
I dunno I mean I remember Anders Breivik and I don't stare at white men

My cousin won't get into the back of taxis with Pakistani men so I know how you feel tbh.
No one cares.

Especially in London
Reply 13

I feel this way too, i make it a point to smile at people like "im not going to harm you" but it's probably also us feeling insecure and feeling like outcasts because of islam and muslims and terrorism being in the news highlighted atm. We feel like everyone is painting us with the same brush, i do anyway. In my head i know it's not the reality but it never comes out like that. When you're around accepting people, who understand you and your scarf these thoughts dont come to your head but going to places with people who dont understand, for me at School on the bus..in the shops, for you on the tube...it's hard not to feel this way :smile:
Original post by uberteknik
I lived in London for 20+ years. It has changed (not for the better) and that's putting it mildly.

Yeh, we get it.

You don't like foreigners blah blah blah.

You don't need to make **** up about people caring about the hjab
Reply 15
You are paranoid no one cares if you wear hijab and it's none of their business anyway.
Yes!! You completely understand :smile:
Original post by Lulu24
I feel this way too, i make it a point to smile at people like "im not going to harm you" but it's probably also us feeling insecure and feeling like outcasts because of islam and muslims and terrorism being in the news highlighted atm. We feel like everyone is painting us with the same brush, i do anyway. In my head i know it's not the reality but it never comes out like that. When you're around accepting people, who understand you and your scarf these thoughts dont come to your head but going to places with people who dont understand, for me at School on the bus..in the shops, for you on the tube...it's hard not to feel this way :smile:
Original post by seaholme
ALL of London is a multi-cultural area. If you were talking about Norfolk then I'd say fair enough, people might look because it's unusual to them, but the hijab is such a common sight in all of London I can't help but think you're just paranoid.

Yeah but i take the piccadilly line in the mornings and 98% of the commuters are white
Yeah i guess im just paranoid :biggrin:
Doesnt help that roughly 97% of the commuters are white though

Original post by Arkasia
Yeah, you do seem paranoid. It is an unspoken rule on the tube that you must stare at your feet or your newspaper at all times, and you are not allowed to speak to, or make eye contact with, anyone else. I doubt they were threatened by you.

Original post by neal95

Original post by Clip
All in your mind. No one on the tube cares.
Yeah i guess im just paranoid :biggrin:
Doesnt help that roughly 97% of the commuters are white though

No, it doesn't help.

In fact, it doesn't make the slightest difference.

Quick Reply

Latest