The Student Room Group

What to answer, if girl asks is she fat?

...and she is.

Scroll to see replies

no, always no.
Reply 2
It could be a test, like she knows she is but wants to know what kind of person you are. Tell them the truth with a positive spin. Like maybe "you could never be too big for me":dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You say yes, if she's really fat then kindly inform her that obesity is more dangerous than smoking and that unlike smokers she isn't paying vast amounts of tax which will one day pay for her treatment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell her what you truly think. Not in a hurtful way of course. Initially, many people might react negatively to an honest comment that doesn't fall in line with what they want to hear, but once they get past it, they'd know who to trust for honest opinions. Most people like to sugar-coat the truth. While I'd like to hear the sugar-coated version, I always go to that blunt, honest friend for the real opinion.
You can always offer her solutions and support to carry through with them. Honesty and sensitivity are not mutually exclusive. :smile:
Reply 5
Answer simple "yes, you are" does not suit - I don't want to offend her.
But answer "no" does not suit either, because I want her to do something about it!
A fat person knows that they're fat. There is enough information on the subject, enough discussion of it, enough mirrors in the world that if a person is overweight, then chances are they are already aware of the fact. You're not going to shock them by saying yes.

So, in your position, if they are clearly overweight, I would say ,"Yes, you are overweight, it's not healthy and you would probably be happier and healthier if you lost a few pounds".

If they are only slightly out of shape (not mega-healthy, but not obese) then encouraging them to think of it more in terms of building muscle, becoming leaner and more athletic might be a more tactful way of dealing with it.
Original post by Wade-
You say yes, if she's really fat then kindly inform her that obesity is more dangerous than smoking and that unlike smokers she isn't paying vast amounts of tax which will one day pay for her treatment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually if you Google "leading cause of preventable death", you'll find multiple sources stating that smoking is worse than obesity. Furthermore, although most food is zero-rated for VAT, confectionary items and take-away food are charged at standard rate, so they are indeed paying taxes on those tubs of ice-cream and Maccy D's that led to their obesity

(Just saying. Not that I condone obesity)
(edited 9 years ago)
Ask them what sort of response they expect from a question like that, and to stop asking such silly questions.

It is a test, there's no need for it. Either a test or fishing for compliments.
Reply 9
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Actually if you Google "leading cause of preventable death", you'll find multiple sources stating that smoking is worse than obesity. Furthermore, although most food is zero-rated for VAT, confectionary items and take-away food are charged at standard rate, so they are indeed paying taxes on those tubs of ice-cream and Maccy D's that led to their obesity

(Just saying. Not that I condone obesity)

There are also various websites that say obesity is worse and the bbc says 'some experts believe obesity is worse than smoking for your health' so perhaps it's not an open and shut area.

The vast amount of the cost of cigarettes is tax, like you said confectionary and take aways are charged at standard rate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Wade-
There are also various websites that say obesity is worse and the bbc says 'some experts believe obesity is worse than smoking for your health' so perhaps it's not an open and shut area.

The vast amount of the cost of cigarettes is tax, like you said confectionary and take aways are charged at standard rate

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are "some experts" that believe global warming doesn't exist and there are "some experts" who believe the vaccinations are harmful. There are always stupid people, however facts are absolute
Reply 11
Original post by Youk
There are "some experts" that believe global warming doesn't exist and there are "some experts" who believe the vaccinations are harmful. There are always stupid people, however facts are absolute

A few points to highlight your idiocy:

1. Science has very little 'facts', science at one point believed smoking was perfectly okay.

2. The BBC are not going to refer to stupid people as experts

3. If smoking factually kills more people than obesity then you should have no issue providing credible evidence

4. If there's evidence to suggest something or cast doubt on it then you're not an idiot for having a different opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
ok, ok, she is no obese! She is just chubby, out of shape girl with, maybe, some extra 10-15kg.
Original post by Aappoolloo
ok, ok, she is no obese! She is just chubby, out of shape girl with, maybe, some extra 10-15kg.

Then say that, yea you are a bit chubby, but not a fat whale. Easy.
On the plus side, there's more of you to love.
Answer simple "yes, you are" does not suit - I don't want to offend her.
But answer "no" does not suit either, because I want her to do something about it!

Don't patronise her - if she asks, she wants an honest answer. Just be totally honest, good and bad.

It's going to hurt whatever you say, because she knows she's overweight (girls always overestimate their weight), so she'll either get offended you're telling the truth, or get offended you're not. In the long run, honesty is always better.

As for a positive spin on it, just be truthful. For example, you could go for:
"I'm not going to lie to you. You are a bit overweight. You're not obese or anything, but it's so easy to lose weight, and you'll feel so great. Being healthy and happy is fun, and I want to help you make the most of life."

Naturally, she may still take this badly, but that's not because she's a girl, it's because you're touching on a deep hang-up. Ironically, the more honest you are, the better. People resent being deceived.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
...and she is.

Feed her lots of cake and beans to fatten her up
You could be like "No, of course not, but if you are that concerned feel free to join me at the gym on x, Y and Z days"
Say she's chubby. I'm getting fat and I know it. I'd rather someone be honest and blunt to me rather than lie when it's obvious that I have a belly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Say she's chubby. I'm getting fat and I know it. I'd rather someone be honest and blunt to me rather than lie when it's obvious that I have a belly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to inform you but you're a bit chubby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending