The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haemo
Anyone writing up/written up their notes yet?

If so, are you up to date or where are you up to?

If not, when do you think that you will write up your notes?

I'm interested since quite a few people at my school haven't written up their notes yet and are just going from class notes for now.

I am an A2 student and I write up my notes as I go along. I have finished my notes for the first exam completely and have written up one module for the second. A piece of advice is to start writing your notes right now if you haven't, it's impossible to write them all at the end as you won't remember everything about a topic :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey :smile: does anyone know why magnesium hydroxide is insoluble in water? thks

Original post by Dylann
Concentration shouldn't be what you're looking for when working out any enthalpies (including neutralisation)!! You should be looking for the moles which react. If two reactants have differing concentrations they might not have different moles if they have different volumes. All you need to do is work out how many moles reacted, meaning there may well be some left over reactant wondering where all of its friends went!

Firstly work out the moles of each reactant. Now work out what ratio they react in (usually 1:1 in the case of NaOH and HCl, but not things like H2SO4 and NaOH so be careful!). Assuming it's 1:1, choose the reactant with the smallest amount of moles. This is the moles which react, because once they're gone the reaction stops because there's nothing left for the other reactant to react with!

Yes, Sorry forgot to mention that I was using (number of moles = concentration x volume /1000) to work out the moles of the reactants, and hence I would have needed to use the concentration, also the volumes in a specific question are the same of both reactants and the example in the question is about H2SO4 and NaOH :frown: but Thank you as it has become slightly clearer!
Original post by Clovers

Yes, Sorry forgot to mention that I was using (number of moles = concentration x volume /1000) to work out the moles of the reactants, and hence I would have needed to use the concentration, also the volumes in a specific question are the same of both reactants and the example in the question is about H2SO4 and NaOH :frown: but Thank you as it has become slightly clearer!

Ok so because there are two H+ ions per H2SO4 molecule all you do is double the concentration of H2SO4. Then, figure out which value is smaller, the moles of H+ (2xh2so4 moles) or NaOH. This will be your moles reacted, and you should be able to do the rest :biggrin:

quote if you have anymore problems :biggrin:
Original post by bluevalkyrie88
Hey :smile: does anyone know why magnesium hydroxide is insoluble in water? thks

Good question and very difficult to answer...you probably don't have to know why for a-level. Just remember hydroxide solubility increases down the group and sulfate solubility increases up the group.

If you have the time (and concentration) then this might help:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group2/problems.html
AQA ISA too
Hey all. I am currently doing OCR A AS Chemistry and my teachers for it aren't great so I've been teaching myself a fair amount of the course.

Last year I got a high A* in Chemistry and I did this by memorising my notes and then trying past papers over and over to get used to applying the knowledge. Would this work for A-Level as well?

Also, any other advice for revision techniques that have worked quite well? Last year I didn't revise too much for my grade...whoops! :colondollar:

Thanks guys and have a good evening!
Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't start serious for your as chemistry exam now and don't revise everyday or you revise a couple of months before the as exam you will fail.The same technique at Gcse doesn't work for A level.
Original post by Xin Xang
Anyone here doing the chemistry olympiad ?

Yep, tomorrow's the date I'm doing it :colondollar:
SO many OCR where did AQA people go??
Reply 650
*chants* AQA! AQA! AQA!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zhang-liao
Yep, tomorrow's the date I'm doing it :colondollar:

gl bro
Original post by BBeyond
gl bro

I'm so worried I'm gonna flop :afraid: :lol:

You doing it this year?
I'm so worried I'm gonna flop :afraid: :lol:

You doing it this year?

I'm sure you'll do fine you seem to know your stuff :smile:

Nah never got told about it or anything :tongue:
Original post by BBeyond
I'm sure you'll do fine you seem to know your stuff :smile:

Nah never got told about it or anything :tongue:

The past papers look at things I haven't even covered and I'm like :eek3: Stuff like IR (which I'm gonna cover later in the year)
The past papers look at things I haven't even covered and I'm like :eek3: Stuff like IR (which I'm gonna cover later in the year)

Oh that sucks :frown: I'm sure there will be some things you can do :tongue:
Original post by BBeyond
Oh that sucks :frown: I'm sure there will be some things you can do :tongue:

:sadnod: So long as I can gain a copper award or above, I'll be happy :tongue:
:sadnod: So long as I can gain a copper award or above, I'll be happy :tongue:

Didn't know there was a copper award? I thought it was just bronze silver gold :tongue:
Original post by GingerGnu
Hey all. I am currently doing OCR A AS Chemistry and my teachers for it aren't great so I've been teaching myself a fair amount of the course.

Last year I got a high A* in Chemistry and I did this by memorising my notes and then trying past papers over and over to get used to applying the knowledge. Would this work for A-Level as well?

Also, any other advice for revision techniques that have worked quite well? Last year I didn't revise too much for my grade...whoops! :colondollar:

Thanks guys and have a good evening!

Start revising little by little now so the knowledge become second nature! You can't wing chemistry, just a word of warning lol I've seen lots of people try and it doesn't work :smile: hope all goes well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Good question and very difficult to answer...you probably don't have to know why for a-level. Just remember hydroxide solubility increases down the group and sulfate solubility increases up the group.

If you have the time (and concentration) then this might help:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group2/problems.html

Oh okay. Thanks a lot! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest