The Student Room Group

Is £100 a week good?

Is £100 a week good for an apprenticeship job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NO!

GO to UNI. apprenticeships are cult business to fool young people.
Original post by O.Ozz
NO!

That's a very uneducated reply.

Original post by maxi365
Is £100 a week good for an apprenticeship job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP; it all depends on how old you are and which level apprenticeship you're doing?
(edited 9 years ago)
How long you stuck with lower-than-minimum wage for?
Reply 4
Original post by Balloon Baboon
That's a very uneducated reply.

Excuse me? i might be harsh but it's truth. Everyone needs uni to have a degree to reach your career. I'm 19 and so desperate to go to uni this year.

I wish apprenticeships should be banned. it's brainwashing youths.
It's the national minimum wage for apprentice workers, something like £2-3 an hour.

It's definitely low!
Original post by O.Ozz
Excuse me? i might be harsh but it's truth. Everyone needs uni to have a degree to reach your career. I'm 19 and so desperate to go to uni this year.

I'll say it again; that was an uneducated reply.

University is not for everyone and if you thnk you need to go to university to 'reach your career' you're sadly mistaken.
Depends.

In my current situation - full-time university student trying to survive on the basic loan - £100 a week would not be so bad.
Original post by O.Ozz
Excuse me? i might be harsh but it's truth. Everyone needs uni to have a degree to reach your career.

No you don't. My mum is a carer and has a few NVQ level 3s, which is the same as A Levels. She brings home roughly £500 per week before tax.
Depends how much you need to spend/save.

I'd say no, because generally you can find those sort of roles in a similar place for the minimum wage (which pays more like £240 per week), but equally if you're looking to push into a specific career path then it might be the right choice in the short term.

£100/week won't get you much though, just bear that in mind if you need to be paying rent etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by King Leonidas
It's the national minimum wage for apprentice workers, something like £2-3 an hour.

It's definitely low!

I think it's £2.73 per hour.
Well you're getting paid to train (which most people at uni don't get; instead they have to pay for their course) and have probably quite a good chance of a job at the end of your apprenticeship, which lots of people don't have who go to uni. So, I'd say if you can train for what you want to do via an apprenticeship, then go for it.
Original post by Dr Pesto

Indeed.

This rate is for apprentices aged 16 to 18 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. All other apprentices are entitled to the National Minimum Wage for their age.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Original post by Dr Pesto

Think you're right there mate:yy:

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well you're getting paid to train (which most people at uni don't get; instead they have to pay for their course) and have probably quite a good chance of a job at the end of your apprenticeship, which lots of people don't have who go to uni. So, I'd say if you can train for what you want to do via an apprenticeship, then go for it.

This, although the pay is low, the training is invaluable,

So many employers want experience from their employees at the moment:smile:
Original post by O.Ozz

Certainly not. The career I'm pursuing doesn't need any higher education qualifications.

Maybe it's because I value job satisfaction over money though.
I wouldn't say good, no. But if it is in a career you wish to pursue then go ahead.

I did an apprenticeship and was paid £100 per week although this was nearly four years ago now. It was the first time I was earning money and it felt so good! I knew it was only like £2 an hour for a 40 hour week but I didn't even care!

Is this a business admin apprenticeship or something? It's those ones that pay the lowest. You can always try Capgemini/BT/British Gas/BMW/Honda etc depending on what sort of thing you are into.
Original post by O.Ozz

I've reached my career and didn't attend UNI, nor do I plan to.

Sometimes experience can get you just as far, if not further than a degree,

Employers aren't always that worried about a degree if you have a personality.
Reply 17
Thanks for your replies, I'm 19, live with parents so no financial responsibilities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by O.Ozz
NO!

I actually go to university but i am leaving as it is not for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
There is an apprenticeship for auto body repair, something i am very interested in. So should i do it despite of the low salary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest