The Student Room Group

Evolution: Empty Niche

Hey.

I've been looking everywhere online for the definition of an "empty niche" and what it's all about; I understand what it causes, but just not what it is which is slicing a big section of the cake. I'd be grateful if someone could explain the concept to me and give me a definition - thanks a lot for reading :rolleyes:.

Harry.
Original post by MrHarry
Hey.

I've been looking everywhere online for the definition of an "empty niche" and what it's all about; I understand what it causes, but just not what it is which is slicing a big section of the cake. I'd be grateful if someone could explain the concept to me and give me a definition - thanks a lot for reading :rolleyes:.

Harry.

The true definition of an empty niche (aka. vacant niche) is somewhat controversial and clouded. The most notable attempt at defining a vacant niche was by ecologist K. Rohde in his 2006 publication Nonequilibrium Ecology:

...a vacant niche can be defined as the possibility that in ecosystems or habitats more species could exist than are present at a particular point in time, because many possibilities are not used by potentially existing species.

This theory ties into a much broader debate on whether an ecosystem can reach equilibrium; that is whether they could theoretically become maximally saturated with species?

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending