The Student Room Group

Physically attractive vs. Humour - which one do you prefer?

Scroll to see replies

I hate girls who can't have a laugh. Girls that can consistently make me laugh (hard to come by, just an unfortunate coincidence I imagine), however, I often will find rather attractive.
Original post by Lúcio
when it comes to being attractive, the perks definitely outweigh the drawbacks.
if you asked anybody whether they would rather be attractive or ugly, which do you think they would pick?

Hahaha ok.
But- arguably, if someone is attractive the fact that we are attracted to them may mean they would be a better "mate"- someone to be reproduce with.

Just saying it's biological.
Reply 22
Original post by D_ecrivaine
Hahaha ok.
But- arguably, if someone is attractive the fact that we are attracted to them may mean they would be a better "mate"- someone to be reproduce with.

Just saying it's biological.

that is exactly the point; it's genetically advantageous, thus it has become an evolved instinct in humans.
a high level of physical attraction is an indicator of "better" genes (i.e: less imperfection).
i could explain this in further detail, but ultimately beauty = good genes, good genes = evolved preferences.
Original post by Lúcio
that is exactly the point; it's genetically advantageous, thus it has become an evolved instinct in humans.
a high level of physical attraction is an indicator of "better" genes (i.e: less imperfection).
i could explain this in further detail, but ultimately beauty = good genes, good genes = evolved preferences.

It is unfortunate then, and the media does nothing but show us beautiful attractive people! And in this day and age it's not survival of the fittest haha.
I would still need to be attracted to them (like they have to meet my standards, as harsh as it is), but a good personality is an amazing bonus.

Spoiler

Reply 25
Why would I want to do a comedienne?
Idk why but funny guys become instantly attractive to me. But theres no way i can be with someone who i dont find hot (even if they're like a 5 to another).
Physical attraction on its own does nothing for me. Humour would make a relationship work in the long term! :smile:
Humour over physical attractiveness any day.
Humour wins over looks any day imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Let's not beat around the bush - looks are everything in this modern world; a world where we're obsessed with image.

Anybody who says they "don't care about looks" is lying unfortunately.
Everybody wants somebody hot, it's just that some people will settle for less and accept people who have other nice traits instead.

In a short term, casual sense an attractive person will have much more opportunity with the opposite sex.
In the long term, somebody who is humorous and fun to be around will have better relationships (generally).

I could go on and explain this in greater detail but the unfortunate summary is that in such a vain society, looks beat all.

sources on AFBB:

http://www.livescience.com/10073-women-prefer-chill-guys.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/376321.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect
Original post by Lúcio
Well seen as you've gone for pop science I will.

Ugly men are more fertile.

Shorter people live longer.

Why has angelina jolie had a double mastectomy? Apparently she's beautiful...

Equally what's beauty? I probably have a totally different perception than the next person. Same goes for genes one set of genes may be good for one reason (or have been in the past) but cause disease in the modern world.

I'm clearly just a layperson, no scientist. But it's definitely too basic to break it down to beauty = good genes. Unless you're a geneticist, which you're not.
Most women are not even funny.
And the ones that are funny are very unattractive
Reply 33
Original post by Ebony19
Well seen as you've gone for pop science I will.

Ugly men are more fertile.

Shorter people live longer.

Why has angelina jolie had a double mastectomy? Apparently she's beautiful...

Equally what's beauty? I probably have a totally different perception than the next person. Same goes for genes one set of genes may be good for one reason (or have been in the past) but cause disease in the modern world.

I'm clearly just a layperson, no scientist. But it's definitely too basic to break it down to beauty = good genes. Unless you're a geneticist, which you're not.

excuse me?
how dare you make presumptions like that about what i am and what i do - you know nothing about me.

if you like what i'm saying, there's a little rep button.
if you don't, just ignore.

you're saying it as if you reckon i've just made up what i'm talking about; this is something i actually study.
i'm not going to explain it in greater detail to you because from what i've read so far, you don't deserve the effort for me to do so.
Original post by Lúcio
excuse me?
how dare you make presumptions like that about what i am and what i do - you know nothing about me.

if you like what i'm saying, there's a little rep button.
if you don't, just ignore.

you're saying it as if you reckon i've just made up what i'm talking about; this is something i actually study.
i'm not going to explain it in greater detail to you because from what i've read so far, you don't deserve the effort for me to do so.

Bad genes
I have fallen in love with both types of women and I ave to say that I loved every minute of the relationship with my best friend coz we laughed so much. She was by no means ugly but I have since been out with what I would call better looking girls since and it is not the same. I appreciate good looking women but looks can only get your hear beating fast for so long, but a freind who makes you laugh will stay in your heart forever
Original post by Stumpy1984
I have fallen in love with both types of women and I ave to say that I loved every minute of the relationship with my best friend coz we laughed so much. She was by no means ugly but I have since been out with what I would call better looking girls since and it is not the same. I appreciate good looking women but looks can only get your hear beating fast for so long, but a freind who makes you laugh will stay in your heart forever

How long did it take before you could be friends with her again? It's been a year for.me, 6 months NC with 1 contact I ****ed up and I miss her friendship dearly. (She's Hindu so us not having sex is no biggie and makes it easier to try being mates again)
I always pick humour ever since... It happened..........

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
I would still need to be attracted to them (like they have to meet my standards, as harsh as it is), but a good personality is an amazing bonus.

Spoiler

Me it's pretty simple

Got to get on my dickdar

Got to make.me think

got to.make me.laugh sometimes

got to make me smile a lot and understand I really do have bad days

i would return all of these
I reiterate for all those depressed by the findings that beta provider traits such as GSOH increasingly grow in importance as raging hormones decline c. Mid 20s onwards, in particular testosterone levels since thkse with higher test actively seek out those with similarly high test levels i.e. low body fat%, high lean body mass=aesthetics from.a biological standpoint.

In other words, your body becomes less shallow as you get older and everyone starts getting saggy and more trouble down below. Less hanky panky to gain/fear never experiencing, more time for the soullll train babeh

Quick Reply

Latest