The Student Room Group

TSR is a forum where males are more vocal, and abuse/sexism/arrogance is rewarded?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 41b
snip

Great material to think on, I am more Whiggish I think in the sense that I don't think it's inevitable that feminism welfarism etc will be the downfall of our empire. If we bugger it up anyway that stuff might hasten it a bit, but to my mind giving it all up would be like living life teetotal just to get a few extra years at the end, or cutting benefits for the poorest just to save a few million. I am more concerned with the next century or so, kids grandkids etc, and I think we will stagger on at least that far.

Also would say women choosing to advocate for their rights is not to their discredit, given the conditions anyone would so it should really be built into the model rather than criticised. I don't think the differences between men chivalry and women self interest are anything like as fixed as you say.

Still there is more social and historical awareness shown here than anywhere in the feminist movement.
Reply 101
Original post by redferry
Wait did you seriously just say that?

I don't think having nutty jew hating Muslims running round makes the vast majority of Muslims on this forum feel any better.

'I'm having a *insert normal everyday muslim problem here eg boy troubles, family troubles, they accidentally drank alcohol, I don't know*'
Everyone on forum: Stupid muslim why are you muslim you probably want to stone us all to death denounce your religion now/You are juffar and Allah hates you.

Yeah really helpful for them...

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head there. There are irrational muslim haters here, and irrational muslims. It's a place where people can air their true thoughts anonymously and without retribution, and they do.

But oh no, don't worry about the anti-semitism, because you know, those poor muslims... probably all the jews fault anyway. Let's encourage that from 'normal everyday' people. Anti Islam sentiment is on the rise in Europe, not just on TSR.

Well I have been attacked repeatedly since being on this forum for no other reason than voicing my views on gender eqaulity (men and women should be equal, it is hard if you don't fit the cis stereotype, etc). A lot of other users left because of similar things and girls rarely speak out about it these days. I left because of it and probably will do so again.

Yea, and cis men are attacked too, in the same way. You think they don't leave/get fed up? I'm sure they do, in similar numbers. But of course when you're only focused on women that's all you see. What makes you think women are attacked more for their views than men are?
Reply 102
Oh look everyone! He is just voicing his opinion! Clearly not a personal attack!

You're literally just proving my point over and over and over again you do realise?

It's not proving your point though. He's not attacking you because you're a woman, just because he's pissed off and attacking everybody. That same user 'attacked' me about 10 minutes ago in some debate: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3098427&page=2 - Nothing to do with gender, he's just pissy and spoiling for an argument.
Reply 103

which are constant by the way. Women should not be voicing opinions. If they do they should be prepared for attacks that steadily get more and more personal.

I didn't post that quote. But it's not women who are attacked, it's everybody. I mainly 'attack' men; does that make me a misandrist or do you think it might be because in the areas I post, more men say stupid **** than women do?
Original post by 41b
The physical, politically correct world has consequences for having dissenting opinions. This is slowly changing with the death of liberalism and my generation being the most anti-social-justice of any, but the state is still run by leftist hippies from the 1960s-1980s.

The internet is not like that. People can be honest on here, and while the government surveills everything, they are in no position to punish the silent majority who hate political correctness. They can censor public broadcasters, education institutions and even public speech, but internet speech is simply too great in volume and too unpredictable to censor.

So it's not that the internet promotes "hateful" speech, but rather than the world is still quite politically correct, where honesty is punished. Just consider the fact that 17% of young women in my generation consider themselves feminist. The number has never been higher than 50%. However, every broadcaster, every public figure, every politician has to pretend to be a feminist, or at least not publicly come out as an anti-feminist. Feminists are, in my experience, one of the most unpopular political groups around, yet enjoy blanket political support. Immigration is a similar issue.

The world has changed, and the internet has played a big part in letting people realise that their un-PC viewpoints are not only not weird and not reprehensible, but normal, popular and widespread. The reason you think the internet promotes "horrible men" is because you live in a bubble where no man can say anything to you without your highly-strung response being treated with utmost sympathy while he risks vilification or punishment.

Pop your bubble sweetie. Reality isn't as nice as the clouds, but only by accepting the world as it really is will you grow and find happiness. :smile:

Original post by xMr_BrightSide
I'd be very wary in generalising the way you do in the OP. This is an internet forum, with a high level of anonymity, populated by people who are still developing their ideas and views towards the world. Conflicts are inevitable, and should be expected.

The problem is when people take vocal disagreements to be a sign of 'misogyny' (a term which has become completely nonsensical due to misuse) and other hyperbolic terms, as well as when (as you do in the OP) generalisations start to be made in terms of posters being white, male, british or whatever. Engage and debate with the posts they make, rather than judging them solely on who they are as a person (a factor they can't help!).

Similarly, if you start assuming the forums are hives of misogyny and abuse, then your confirmation bias will inevitably 'prove' you right when you see any vocal disagreements. Don't develop a victim complex.

If a post is truly abusive, misogynistic or whatever, then report it. The moderators will decide whether you're right or not.

Good posts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by scrotgrot
Great material to think on, I am more Whiggish I think in the sense that I don't think it's inevitable that feminism welfarism etc will be the downfall of our empire. If we bugger it up anyway that stuff might hasten it a bit, but to my mind giving it all up would be like living life teetotal just to get a few extra years at the end, or cutting benefits for the poorest just to save a few million. I am more concerned with the next century or so, kids grandkids etc, and I think we will stagger on at least that far.

Also would say women choosing to advocate for their rights is not to their discredit, given the conditions anyone would so it should really be built into the model rather than criticised. I don't think the differences between men chivalry and women self interest are anything like as fixed as you say.

Still there is more social and historical awareness shown here than anywhere in the feminist movement.

The problem here is that the rights are so disproportionate they are ridiculous privileges.

The right to kill an unborn child is extreme. Most divorce laws have stripped men's rights and afforded women great privileges.

72% of state spending, for example, is a transfer from men to women. This is not the giving of a right - it is the forced "husbanding" of women by men at gunpoint. Men are still paying for women, like in the old days - except this time, they don't get a loving wife, a happy family and respect in return. That is a "right" for women that costs men without giving them anything in return - it is simply exploitation. Women of my generation are paid 20% more per hour for doing the same work than men are. This is because women generally work much less than men and so they appear to earn less. To "correct" for this, they are paid more. This ability to luxuriate is not a costless "right" for women; it is, however, exploitation of men.

Feminism is thus the replacement of the husband - who got submission in return - with the state paid for by men, who now get nothing in return.

There is much more to it than what you're looking at. Check out that video and related ones. They will really open you up to alternative ways of thinking.
(edited 9 years ago)
So, so true.

Me the other day:
'I feel bad for Muslims in Europe, it's hard'
Everyone else 'You Muslim lover you hate women and want to stone people to death you are evil and support people being murdered!!!!! Go and bow to your husband I hope he beats you round the face as your precious book the Qur'an says he should!!!!'
Me: *leaves*

And Ivr lost count of the amount of times I've been either called a feminaxi ugly lesbian or 'sweetheart, darling, love' for my opinions on equality.

I know right? Every time, its so irritating and juvenile
Straight, white males for the win. :tongue:

Being serious though i really don't think TSR is as bad as you say and even i have had posts deleted which were not even that controversial. Somebody mentioned feminists and Muslims being targeted on here but actually i'd say that TSR is more representative of what people really think on these issues. In RL you have a London based cosmopolitan media which shields these people from criticism whereas actually there's a fair amount of Islamaphobia north of the Watford Gap and while men support feminism in so far as women treated equally under the law, i've met very few who support some of the clap trap on here or wacky ideas in RL like banning paternity tests because it takes away female power.
Thread is re-opened: Please don't make offensive posts, any more and I'll be locking the thread for good.
I really think Dandaman hits the nail on the head, we've got misogynist trolls, sexist men and misandrists/a portion of women who seem biased against men who don't pander to their world view and to thus ignore everything the reasonable anti-feminists have to say.
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think?

I have noticed that responses to most threads, apart from the degree/ offer holder/ job threads, posts start off being quite respectful, sociable and reasonable, and then the same names appear, and give their arrogant, narcissistic, self-centered, 'logical' and judgmental opinions. They are always male, always white, usually heterosexual. It's almost like a mental illness a lot of them have. I say white because most people in UK are white, and most users are from UK, and many of them have photos of themselves. But not always white(!).

I've also noticed that they tend to dominate discussions on TSR. The same few boys/ young men appear everywhere, they are abusive, rude and dismissive and literally have acquired 'legend' status because of it. Does anyone else find this disturbing. I am new to TSR, why is this? Is this a thing you all know about?

Also, I see the word sexist and misandry being used a lot, against the female posters who are brave enough to actually speak. This is something I've not encountered irl and my friendship group is mixed! Who are these boys/men? And why does everyone accept their abuse? I've literally watched threads descend into hatred, female posters being attacked for the views, or male posters saying the same thing, after abusing them, and being congratulated for their insight.

I feel like there's something I'm missing :s-smilie: Is there rule about males/females on here? Why are people so rude here?

I thought about leaving because, was quite shocked, but you can't leave.There is no deactivate button? So would love to hear from people and your views, especially posters that don't usually post at all or feel silenced.

Thanks

My honest view...I think youre too sensitive...
What is said on tsr is no different to howbthe average UK person thinks or speaks.

I think in some way, people here are a bit sheltered and only hang about open-minded people and reckon ALL think that way..... but it is not like that.

Kind of proof that intelligence is more than academia. that isbnotbto knock anybody, but then it really does take all kinds.
And many teenage boys look for domjnance in social scenarios, its just normal psychology.
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
I know what you mean, I found one of my old friends accounts on here and what I read was awful. Thank you though, it can be hard, all I've ever wanted to do is point out how some posts can seriously offend people and how what they say prevents women being seen as equal. I might just start posting anonymously, but even people who do that get attacked for not being 'brave' enough to out themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loool..stop beingbthe victim....

You have a choice...ignore, dont respond, or leave..
Original post by shadowdweller
Thread is re-opened: Please don't make offensive posts, any more and I'll be locking the thread for good.

What is your definition of being offensive? Surely, racism equates to being offensive?:smile:
Reply 113
Original post by bronwencerimarsh

Whilst I don't have a document proving it, because companies don't really want to show that they do it. If a man and a woman are doing exactly the same job, same workload, a man will often be given a different title to the woman, in order to be able to pay the man more. That is well known. As is women facing the glass ceiling. Women can't access top positions in a business, practically unless they created it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Women are paid less than men because they don't ask to be paid more. It's women's fault.
Reply 114
Can you really blame them though? When you do actually confront the prevailing attitude you get totally lain into, people start insulting your looks, messaging you insulting your intelligence and claiming you have mental health problems, creating multiple accounts to get at you, constantly put you down, read everything you've ever written to bring it up at a later date and hold you to some ridiculous standard where every slight mistake is jumped upon and seen as a mark against your character. I know, I've been there numerous times.

I don't see the link with misogyny, anonymous people harassing other people is common on the Internet, regardless the gender.
Original post by Ikidyounot.
Think it may be an excuse to lock the thread. Doesn't exactly look great for TSR.

You mean a reason, as opposed to an excuse?
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
What is your definition of being offensive? Surely, racism equates to being offensive?:smile:

Original post by Ikidyounot.
...may be an excuse to lock the thread, the headline is bad PR.

If either of you wants to discuss it further, feel free to make a thread over in AAM :smile:
Original post by scrotgrot
Well for starters there's no evidence whether they've ever had a girlfriend or not, that's just the stock insult they get.

It might sound crazy, but we men don't exist entirely for the purpose of telling girls what they want to hear in order to get laid.

No I agree, I've never used it as an insult myself, but you do get plenty of guys on here that start threads complaining they've never had a girlfriend/had sex. Take Bassetts, for example.

My comment wasn't referring to guys who get "you've never had a girlfriend" as an insult, but the guys who make threads complaining they've never had a girlfriend and simultaneously perpetuate misogyny on that thread or others.
Original post by Josb
I don't see the link with misogyny, anonymous people harassing other people is common on the Internet, regardless the gender.

But on this site or happens most to outspoken women and potentially Muslims.
Reply 119
Original post by Peaches and Cream
No I agree, I've never used it as an insult myself, but you do get plenty of guys on here that start threads complaining they've never had a girlfriend/had sex. Take Bassetts, for example.

My comment wasn't referring to guys who get "you've never had a girlfriend" as an insult, but the guys who make threads complaining they've never had a girlfriend and simultaneously perpetuate misogyny on that thread or others.

They're 'misogynistic' because they've never had a girlfriend, not the other way around. The vast majority of men grow up respecting and appreciating women until the failure they experience attracting them makes them either bitter, or treat women like second class citizens. If they do the latter, women start becoming attracted to them.

Every single girl I've been with has wanted me to rough her up, to call her a ****, to belittle her, to ignore her, to treat her as unimportant. I am happy to have an egalitarian relationship, but it's women who don't. Despite their desires, they do nothing to stop the rabid lawmakers criminalising the very behaviour they crave in men. There was even a law passed a couple of years ago criminalising a husband shouting at a wife. Does that seem sane policy to you? Profeminists today don't live in the real world where things have gone far too far and the lunatics are running the asylum.

Then there are really entitled women who want to be treated as queens and expect the earth from just a man. They treat him like a ****ing ATM machine instead of a human being and dump him the second he has financial difficulties.

Instead of blaming men for being bitter, look at the ridiculous female behaviour which causes that bitterness. This might help you understand why so many men are just sighing, exasperated and walking away; or treating women with suspicion and blanket prejudice.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest