The Student Room Group

Guys, were you ever turned off after seeing your girlfriend's makeup-free face?

I'm a girl and I recently got a boyfriend for the first time in my life. However now I'm so stressed about the prospect of him seeing me without makeup. And it's not like I wear a full face mask every day; my routine makeup consists of a BB cream, concealer, mascara and lip gloss, and barely takes 5 minutes. However makeup drastically alters my appearance; I have very short eyelashes, discoloured pale lips, dark under eyes and unsightly blemishes on my skin. I can guarantee that people look at me differently on the rare occasions I step out of the house without makeup.

Hell even my mum who always tells me how pretty I am recently admitted I don't look pretty without makeup (in more lenient words) and when we Skype she comments on how pretty I look ONLY when I have makeup on.

I know that my beau will inevitably see my bare face at some point, but I'm so afraid he's be disappointed and feel deceived because I never showed him my real face. If you're a guy, would you feel disappointed to discover your girlfriend doesn't look as pretty without makeup?

Scroll to see replies

You sound really insecure.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
You sound really insecure.

I am insecure because in high school I wasn't wearing makeup and people bullied me for my appearance. I never got attention from boys before I started wearing makeup. I know very well that I'm ugly without it :frown:
Did you tell your boyfriend that he normally sees your "makeup face", and ask him if he would be okay with seeing you without makeup on?

(A "true" boyfriend would answer yes, because he loves you for who you are :smile:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
He has never seen your face without makeup before? That's a scary thought lol.
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
Did you tell your boyfriend that he normally sees your "makeup face", and ask him if he would be okay with seeing you without makeup on?

Haven't directly brought this up, although I did tell him I don't feel pretty when I wake up in the morning. Of course he keeps reassuring me it doesn't matter for him and he loves me as I am but I'm still not sure how he'll react when he sees my bare face.
I would be disappointed but if I liked you it wouldn't matter much.
Reply 7
He should love you for who you are not how a bit of mascara alters your face. If his opinion of you changes because you take it off then you are too good for him.

As you get older you realise it's not all about appearance. It's not like you're going to never wear make up again.

Be proud of your natural appearance. Who cares what others think, you are beautiful.
Chances are make up doesn't change your appearance as drastically as you think it does, I wear the same amount as you and it doesn't massively alter my face. The biggest difference you'll see if the evening of your skin tone. If you're insecure about that then maybe see if there is anything you can do to even out your skin tone and help with blemishes naturally so you can feel more secure without make up
The amount of make up people wear in this country is quite shocking.... even (surprisingly) compared to Americans. My mates from mainland Europe always comments on the amount of make up girls wear even day to day over here, and I didn't really notice for myself until I visited them in Belgium and Germany and noticed that it's not only day to day, but even on nights out they wear much more toned down and natural make up.

Trust me if you are that hideous, he wouldn't go out with you anyway, make up or not. British girls seem to have this issue about always wearing make up.
(edited 9 years ago)
When I was with my last boyfriend I wore minimal makeup similar to yourself or just mascara and I guess I could of used more products to improve my appearance but I just didn't care, and my bf actually made me show my face without makeup after a while we were together and it was fine he said he preferred me without anything (which ik is bull**** but he didn't seem to care and still found me attractive) and my family too criticize me I think it's really sad our parents etc are so materialistic they shouldn't even comment on that kinda ****, if your bf disapproves or doesn't find you attractive he clearly isn't a keeper! if someone truly loves you they really don't care.
If your boyfriend judges you without makeup, you need a new boyfriend
Looks like you're going to have to wear makeup forever or die alone. Sad times.
Reduce the amount of makeup you wear each time you see him until you go completely bare baced, weaning him off if you will.

Also, you can't polish a turd, so if you don't look like a turd with makeup on then i'm sure you don't without it..
She doesn't need makeup, she's so beautiful and perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Reduce the amount of makeup you wear each time you see him until you go completely bare baced, weaning him off if you will.

Also, you can't polish a turd, so if you don't look like a turd with makeup on then i'm sure you don't without it..

you would be surprised.. seriously..
Simply put. Hes not your boyfriend just because of the way you look.

Physical attraction plays a part yes. But you aren't going to keep seeing someone you don't enjoy spending time with them.

Attraction is more than what you look like. I know sure as heck I've been attracted to people whom aren't the best looking in the past.

Dont worry about it because its not a problem.
Yeah, lol broke up with her.

Screw that, makeup is basically deciept. My friends made fun of me for a good month.
Reply 18
I'm a girl and I recently got a boyfriend for the first time in my life. However now I'm so stressed about the prospect of him seeing me without makeup. And it's not like I wear a full face mask every day; my routine makeup consists of a BB cream, concealer, mascara and lip gloss, and barely takes 5 minutes. However makeup drastically alters my appearance; I have very short eyelashes, discoloured pale lips, dark under eyes and unsightly blemishes on my skin. I can guarantee that people look at me differently on the rare occasions I step out of the house without makeup.

Hell even my mum who always tells me how pretty I am recently admitted I don't look pretty without makeup (in more lenient words) and when we Skype she comments on how pretty I look ONLY when I have makeup on.

I know that my beau will inevitably see my bare face at some point, but I'm so afraid he's be disappointed and feel deceived because I never showed him my real face. If you're a guy, would you feel disappointed to discover your girlfriend doesn't look as pretty without makeup?

lol so much for 'unconditional love'

Try going without one of the products and see if he reacts any differently. I'm similar to you with the dark circles and the amount of make up I wear but my bf actually likes me better without make up on even though I feel the opposite.
Guys focus less on the flaws we see in ourselves, most don't really care if you have short eyelashes or darkness around your eyes

Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yeah, lol broke up with her.

Screw that, makeup is basically deciept. My friends made fun of me for a good month.

How much make up did she wear?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending