The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry.

I need to apply to my college choices by tonight. I was hoping to do Chemistry AS but the entry specifications include a B in maths. I'm currently predicted a C in maths. Is it worth applying for chemistry then?
Original post by rifat117
I need to apply to my college choices by tonight. I was hoping to do Chemistry AS but the entry specifications include a B in maths. I'm currently predicted a C in maths. Is it worth applying for chemistry then?

you need to be good at maths to do chemistry at least get an A at gcse...i got an A* and struggle, i wouldnt do it if i was you but thats just my opinion
I am applying for my A level choices. I originally had my heart set on being a midwife as I didn't think I had the grades to be a doctor or go to medical school, but I worked really hard in my GCSE Mocks to see what I was capable of and got an A* in additional science (A* biology A* chemistry A physics) and now I know that I can work that hard I am starting to wonder if I should do chemistry a level. I want honest opinions on how hard it is and if it's possible but with hard work?
Original post by Bubblebex1
I am applying for my A level choices. I originally had my heart set on being a midwife as I didn't think I had the grades to be a doctor or go to medical school, but I worked really hard in my GCSE Mocks to see what I was capable of and got an A* in additional science (A* biology A* chemistry A physics) and now I know that I can work that hard I am starting to wonder if I should do chemistry a level. I want honest opinions on how hard it is and if it's possible but with hard work?

chemistry a level is COMPLETELY different to gcse, gcse was more recalling and less understanding - if you put in hard work then yeah but make sure you do it from the beginning - good luck!
Original post by Yasmin-9970
you need to be good at maths to do chemistry at least get an A at gcse...i got an A* and struggle, i wouldnt do it if i was you but thats just my opinion

The most complex maths you ever need in Chemistry A Level, is rearranging very simple formulae and the conversion of units. That's a B grade standard for GCSE at the most.
No need to go putting people off, if you got an A* at GCSE maths and struggle then you're doing something very wrong.
Original post by plasmaman
The most complex maths you ever need in Chemistry A Level, is rearranging very simple formulae and the conversion of units. That's a B grade standard for GCSE at the most.
No need to go putting people off, if you got an A* at GCSE maths and struggle then you're doing something very wrong.

i gave my opinion hence why i said 'well thats my opinion anyway' and if u do Edexcel in the multiple choice questions they try and trick you which makes them the hardest part of the paper - a weaker candidate would circle the first answer they got from rearranging the formula but theres more to it than just that most of the time.
Reply 6
I do have another question, say I don't get in but I already chose it, what are my options now on enrolment day. Do I pick something else that isn't very well subscribed?
I do have another question, say I don't get in but I already chose it, what are my options now on enrolment day. Do I pick something else that isn't very well subscribed?

They might let you in if you miss one grade. If they don't, usually they can deal with one extra person on a course, so you could just switch to another A-level that you got the grades for.

I think you should do A-level chemistry if you enjoy chemistry, there is very little maths in the first year. There is a lot more in the second year, but I think it is doable with GCSE knowledge.

Also, applications are usually sent by post, so if that's the case, then you've missed the deadline. They will usually still consider you, but it would have been better to get it in on time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by morgan8002
They might let you in if you miss one grade. If they don't, usually they can deal with one extra person on a course, so you could just switch to another A-level that you got the grades for.

I think you should do A-level chemistry if you enjoy chemistry, there is very little maths in the first year. There is a lot more in the second year, but I think it is doable with GCSE knowledge.

Also, applications are usually sent by post, so if that's the case, then you've missed the deadline. They will usually still consider you, but it would have been better to get it in on time.

No my school is using UCAS progress, all online. Waiting for form tutors reference and it will all be submitted.
No my school is using UCAS progress, all online. Waiting for form tutors reference and it will all be submitted.

No worries then. Apply for chemistry if it interests you.

Quick Reply

Latest