The Student Room Group

Rationale behind being a pescetarian...

Before some rep-fishing (no pun intended) person comes in and states "People can eat what they want", I'm not saying they can't.

This question obviously applies to those who don't eat meat for ethical reasons, and not due to taste or health reasons.

It's a genuine question: If one is against eating animals, why eat fish?
Some do it as a transitional period to get used to a lower meat intake. Some are forced to by parents (as a compromise). But that can't be everyone, so what other reasons?

I've never met a pescetarian (obviously have met a vegetarian), so I'd be interested to know.
Obviously there's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer here, as everyone can eat as they choose.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If one is against eating living beings, why eat plants?
Original post by morgan8002

Plants don't have the neurological structures to sense pain. Their 'suffering' (if you can call it that) is not comparable.
Plus, plants are pretty essential, unlike meat. Meat is very much an added extra. As indicated by the fact most of us couldn't kill our own meat if our lives depended on it.

I'm not a vegetarian by the way.
(edited 9 years ago)

I always say this to annoy people...
But seriously, I think for some people its just a case of preference. Like I won't eat red meat, I've never really known why, but I eat white meat and fish.
Original post by Anonymous Coward
Plants don't have the neurological structures to sense pain. Their 'suffering' (if you can call it that) is not comparable.

They are still living beings. The OP was talking about having a problem with eating living beings.
They are still living beings. The OP was talking about having a problem with eating living beings.

I was the OP, and I changed it to animals. No idea why I put living beings in the first place. :confused:The distinction between a plant and a fish/other animal (in terms of their make up) is pretty clear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LucasADNorth
I always say this to annoy people...
But seriously, I think for some people its just a case of preference. Like I won't eat red meat, I've never really known why, but I eat white meat and fish.

That's fair enough. But I'm asking those who do it for ethical reasons.
Why eat fish? I watched 'Earthlings' the other day, and the fish weren't exactly pain free.
(edited 9 years ago)
Plus, plants are pretty essential, unlike meat. Meat is very much an added extra. As indicated by the fact most of us couldn't kill our own meat if our lives depended on it.

But wut but de protein...
That's fair enough. But I'm asking those who do it for ethical reasons.
Why eat fish?

I like it I guess... Never really thought about it that deeply.
Reply 9

I'm pretty sure most of us could kill our own meat if our lives depended on it. Cannibalism happens in extreme circumstances, for goodness sake. What's a stray chicken compared to your friend?!

Sure, a lot of people can't imagine killing an animal even if they were hungry, but I'm pretty sure that if you put 100 people in a room with a few easy-to-kill animals, materials to cook them with, and a few other things to eat, most would eat the other things first, then give in and kill the animals. Not sure anyone would choose to die rather than kill something yummy.
Original post by LucasADNorth
I like it I guess... Never really thought about it that deeply.

You don't do it for ethical reasons though, so the question isn't directed at you.
Reply 11
Haha, I was one for 4 years. Ahhh the good old Pesc days.
Original post by Katie_p
I'm pretty sure most of us could kill our own meat if our lives depended on it. Cannibalism happens in extreme circumstances, for goodness sake. What's a stray chicken compared to your friend?!

Sure, a lot of people can't imagine killing an animal even if they were hungry, but I'm pretty sure that if you put 100 people in a room with a few easy-to-kill animals, materials to cook them with, and a few other things to eat, most would eat the other things first, then give in and kill the animals. Not sure anyone would choose to die rather than kill something yummy.

Chicken? Yes, fair enough.
Cow? No.
Pig? No.

Unless we're putting sharp objects in our hands. Even then, many would struggle with it.
Edit: This is off topic anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bubzeh
Haha, I was one for 4 years. Ahhh the good old Pesc days.

What were your reasons for still eating fish?
Reply 14
What were your reasons for still eating fish?

Firstly I made the mistake of watching a full series of Kill it Cook it Eat it in one night.

Secondly I considered not having meat as a good diet as my weight was becoming an issue.

Thirdly combined with the first point, I love animals and all that crap.

I don't care for Fish though. Don't hold them in the same regard as land animals.
jesus christ! This isn't about whether being a vegetarian is right or wrong.
It's about the choice to not eat meat for ethical reasons, but still eating fish.

Please, stay on topic!
My sister used to be a pesc but I never understood her logic because I don't eat meat at all
I've always wondered this too! Never understood why they would eat fish if they aren't eating meat because of harming animals
Reply 18
I think from a historical viewpoint it used to be allowed as fish don't have souls. Hence why Catholics were allowed to eat fish during Lent (and, weirdly, also puffins).

Nowadays I guess it's just not caring about fish as much as more cuddly land animals? Who knows.
The argument I heard was "fish don't feel pain"

Which is quite frankly, retarded. Since they're using "ability to feel pain" as a right to live.

Chicken? Yes, fair enough.
Cow? No.
Pig? No.

Unless we're putting sharp objects in our hands. Even then, many would struggle with it.

Wait, did you think that Neanderthals strangled the mammoths to death?

Quick Reply