The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CuriousLinguist
Thanks! I had been letting all the possible permutations of what no news meant turn over and over in my head. I liked the interview day, but wasn't sure how I had done. I just have to get the A Level grade now. I can feel the pressure, although doing a Will from the Inbetweeners probably isn't a good idea though! :wink:

Haha, yes that's probably not a good idea! I'm sure you'll get the grades you need anyway, congratulations again! :smile:
Original post by JaaySLT
Congrats on your offer, seriously!! wow...I really hope I can get in too! Without going into detail, care to shed some light on how to best prepare for the interview?!

The best thing I think is to read around the role and the course. I think just to show you understand the course and what is involved. The written interview was challenging, but I tried to tell myself it wasn't an exam but like a job interview, if that makes sense, where you read about the company and the role. It was quite relaxed and you get time to chat to others (and current students too) while there. It's not a long interview, but I was there all afternoon. I live locally so it was okay, but if you have to travel far, it's worth bearing that in mind.

Good luck and sure you'll be fine!:smile:
Original post by eskimok1
Interview at Sheffield in a few hours eep

How did it go?! Well I hope :smile:
Original post by nesca89
Haha, yes that's probably not a good idea! I'm sure you'll get the grades you need anyway, congratulations again! :smile:

Ha ha, yes indeed! It's quite an odd feeling as it is being a mature student sitting in an exam hall with sixth formers, so wouldn't want to draw further attention to myself really!

Best of luck with Manchester and Leeds. They looked great courses when I had a look at them.
Ha ha, yes indeed! It's quite an odd feeling as it is being a mature student sitting in an exam hall with sixth formers, so wouldn't want to draw further attention to myself really!

Best of luck with Manchester and Leeds. They looked great courses when I had a look at them.

Yeah it's hard being a mature student, I wonder if they only let in a set number of mature students per year...
Original post by eskimok1
UCAS worked.. Conditional offer from City London!!!
A*AA though....

Well done on your offer!
Original post by nesca89
Yeah it's hard being a mature student, I wonder if they only let in a set number of mature students per year...

Don't say that I'm feeling anxious enough already, ha ha!

Congrats on your offer!

What A levels are you taking? What grades do you need? And don't worry about standing out in the exam hall - they will all be too busy to notice!
Original post by shropshirelass51
Really pleased for you. It was worth the wait! I still haven't heard following my reference being sent last Monday and all the documentation I have being sent in. Starting to lose hope...

Oh, I know how you feel. The waiting is very hard. I am sure you'll hear back shortly. Maybe Friday as that seems to be the day when news gets sent out. They should get back to you soon now they have got the documentation and reference. Fingers crossed for you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shropshirelass51
Don't say that I'm feeling anxious enough already, ha ha!

It's just something that crossed my mind the other day. I hope not because I actually think mature students must make good students. When I was leaving school I wanted something completely different to what I want now. So it makes sense to go to uni later on in my opinion haha. Anyway, I hope we stand just as much chance as everyone else!
Original post by nesca89

Loads of mature students at MMU would say my group is 50/50 - think in some ways mature students have the edge!
Original post by AmyPilot
Loads of mature students at MMU would say my group is 50/50 - think in some ways mature students have the edge!

Thanks for that!

Yaay thank you :smile: well hopefully it will go in my favour then hehe
Congrats on your offer!

What A levels are you taking? What grades do you need? And don't worry about standing out in the exam hall - they will all be too busy to notice!

I am taking one A level (Psychology) as I am a mature student and needed evidence of recent study, as my first degree was some time ago. The grade was the same as for those taking three subjects - they are asking for a B grade. I did meet a guy at the interview day who was also a mature student taking the same subject I think. I felt that if I was going to get an offer, I would need to get that sort of grade in order to cope with the demands of the course as a mature student. I am finding it challenging with one A Level - I certainly disagree with all the naysayers who moan that A Levels are getting easier. Not in my experience! :biggrin:
I am taking one A level (Psychology) as I am a mature student and needed evidence of recent study, as my first degree was some time ago. The grade was the same as for those taking three subjects - they are asking for a B grade. I did meet a guy at the interview day who was also a mature student taking the same subject I think. I felt that if I was going to get an offer, I would need to get that sort of grade in order to cope with the demands of the course as a mature student. I am finding it challenging with one A Level - I certainly disagree with all the naysayers who moan that A Levels are getting easier. Not in my experience! :biggrin:

They are no walk in the park - I did 4 last year - psychology was one of them and psychology will definitely help you during the course.

Congrats again!
If my Leeds interview is at 1 and it says it lasts for 4 hours, would it be rude to say I have to leave to make the train for 5.09?
Original post by nesca89

Like Amy said, pretty sure unis have nothing against you - I think they actually prefer the mature students who want to work hard rather than direct school entries who are really looking the 'university experience'... I got the impression last year that Sheffield thought I was too young to make such a big career choice despite having taken a Gap Year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone heard from Leeds, getting genuinely worried haha!

Excited for the DMU interview tho
Original post by JordanC55

Good luck for DMU!

I have a theory about Leeds - no one, as far as I know, has been rejected. So they're going to do the interviews and then if they have enough applicants after the interviews reject the 'maybes' and the people who failed the interview together. And if they fall short after interview they'll give the higher 'maybes' a shot. That's just what I thought the other day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanC55

I know a few people are waiting for Leeds, I have an interview on 4tb Feb and on the letter it has 3 or 4 more interview dates after that running into March! So I really wouldn't worry there's plenty of time to hear from them yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest