The Student Room Group

unwritten rules of the london underground??

no staring at the person in front of you etc :lol:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not paying is acceptable.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james1211
Fare jumping is acceptable.

Spoiler

whats fare jumping?
On escalators... Stay on the right side!! (For standing) :colonhash:

:tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
No standing on the left side of the escalator!

Edit: Beaten to it.
Reply 5
No eye contact, don't speak, no loud music, even if the doors are shutting you must still attempt to jump through a tiny gap - look smug if you manage to get onto the train alive, move rapidly towards the back of the platform, hiding your face if you don't.
Original post by Economistician
No standing on the left side of the escalator!

Edit: Beaten to it.

:teehee::tongue:
Hold on quickly before the tube moves or you will FALL ON THE TUBE FLOOR!
Original post by karmacrunch
:teehee::tongue:

Show-off :frown:
Stare vacantly into the space directly in front of you at all times, or stare at your phone in your lap.
Under no circumstances attempt to make conversation with those around you.
Stare angrily at the person listening to loud music which the whole train can hear. But of course, don't approach them about it.
If you need to get past someone, just mutter "Sorry, could I just..." and squeeze past. Never raise your voice more than a faint utterance.

In the stations generally, stride with purpose, even if you haven't the faintest idea where you're walking. No one likes a dawdler interrupting their well rehearsed march to the escalators.
Don't stand on the left hand side of the escalator, that's where the fast people walk up.

This is the way of the British.
(edited 9 years ago)
Apparently wearing a rucksack is a terrible crime, and some random lady moaned at me and made me take mine off . . . :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by prettyGirl101
whats fare jumping?

Not paying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fare jumping is acceptable.

Especially if you're Brazilian.
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Stare vacantly into the space directly in front of you at all times, or stare at your phone in your lap.
Under no circumstances attempt to make conversation with those around you.
Stare angrily at the person listening to loud music which the whole train can hear. But of course, don't approach them about it.
If you need to get past someone, just mutter "Sorry, could I just..." and squeeze past. Never raise your voice more than a faint utterance.

This is the way of the British.

why no talking?
Original post by Múinteoir
No eye contact, don't speak, no loud music, even if the doors are shutting you must still attempt to jump through a tiny gap - look smug if you manage to get onto the train alive, move rapidly towards the back of the platform, hiding your face if you don't.

Ah the tiny gap thing is so true!! I hate the tube, it feels like a life or death situation, god forbid you are late. There have been times when I have actually decided to go on the next tube because people are a like a bunch of animals and I can't even get my foot through the door.
Original post by Economistician
Show-off :frown:

Aww, sorry. :hugs:

:tongue:

how is that possible? go through the beep thing straight after the person in front?
Original post by prettyGirl101
why no talking?

Don't really know, it's just people don't talk. The silence makes people's conversations carry quite far too, so and breaking of the quiet is quite jarring.
No smiling
No talking under any circumstances
You suddenly collapse and require medical attention? Well **** you for delaying me on way to work, call yourself an ambulance.
Squeeze past someone and then say "Excuse me", nobody has time for pleasantries.
No loud music at all. This includes headphone leakage.

Quick Reply

Latest