The Student Room Group

wanting to study medicine, help

im currently in the last year of my gcses and really want to study medicine at uni, for Alevels i want to take biology physics chemistry and english lit, is this good enough? i've heard many people say that taking maths instead of physics is better but i'd prefer physics a lot more and im not sure now. also any tips as to what makes a good application for applying for medicine? thanks
Original post by sophie999
im currently in the last year of my gcses and really want to study medicine at uni, for Alevels i want to take biology physics chemistry and english lit, is this good enough? i've heard many people say that taking maths instead of physics is better but i'd prefer physics a lot more and im not sure now. also any tips as to what makes a good application for applying for medicine? thanks

U may wanna choose a fourth that you drop at A2 that would give you what you need

I know of people who did biology chemistry and maths and were interviewed at oxbridge its about the grade you get dont take on more than you can handle.

Look at the non academic criteria

How old are you are you at school are you a mature student?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Those will be fine, but lots of people who want to study medicine go for bio/chem/phys/maths, so maybe consider maths instead of English?
Reply 3
Original post by aoxa
Those will be fine, but lots of people who want to study medicine go for bio/chem/phys/maths, so maybe consider maths instead of English?

i dont think ill enjoy maths whatsoever so i think i'd rather take english lit and know ill be able to get a good grade in it
i dont think ill enjoy maths whatsoever so i think i'd rather take english lit and know ill be able to get a good grade in it

And thats the most important thing... getting an A. You do NOT need to do maths.
Reply 5
also, will doing three science subject at Alevel really be this hard? im quite scared to what people have been saying about science Alevels but i do enjoy them and i currently have an A* in biology and an A in physics and chemistry

For most Unis its all about the grades (providing you have Chemistry/Biology of course) Unless you're looking at Oxbridge you don't need Maths.

Also once your GCSE's are done, try to get some volunteering in a care home so you can build up your experience over time and as much work experience as you can; it will also give you things to talk about in your PS, but in the meantime just work on getting the best grades you can.
Reply 7
Original post by kittymitch
For most Unis its all about the grades (providing you have Chemistry/Biology of course) Unless you're looking at Oxbridge you don't need Maths.

Also once your GCSE's are done, try to get some volunteering in a care home so you can build up your experience over time and as much work experience as you can; it will also give you things to talk about in your PS, but in the meantime just work on getting the best grades you can.

thanks a lot, yeah im planning on volunteering at a care home during mid break
Reply 8
also, will doing three science subject at Alevel really be this hard? im quite scared to what people have been saying about science Alevels but i do enjoy them and i currently have an A* in biology and an A in physics and chemistry

People always like to complain about their workload. Most A-level subjects will involve a vaguely similar amount of work. If you're really worried about it, don't take Physics. The only place you need three science/maths subjects for is Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending