The Student Room Group

What to choose for A-level?!! Help :O

Hi everyone,

I am just writing to ask what I should take for my 4th a-level option? I've chosen maths, physics and chemistry but for my fourth, I am struggling to decide between Further maths, geography, German or music.

Could you please help me... Any advice or opinion would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

What do you wanna do

Further Maths is the obvious choice and most beneficial
Reply 2
It depends..what is your strongest subject and what are you planning to study at uni?
Original post by Cosmocos
It depends..what is your strongest subject and what are you planning to study at uni?

I'm still deciding... I have no clue yet :/
Original post by WhizzKidhehe:)
Hi everyone,

I am just writing to ask what I should take for my 4th a-level option? I've chosen maths, physics and chemistry but for my fourth, I am struggling to decide between Further maths, geography, German or music.

German is the most beneficial in fact. If you are looking into going to the Russell Group universities. An advanced level in languages is very impressive on your application. Choosing an A-level language is a really smart move if you want a fascinating subject that offers you a range of career possibilities at the end and are a lot of fun along the way. A-level language courses are interesting and varied subjects to study and give you a broad range of knowledge and skills.
Languages can be done in your own time.
Reply 6
Original post by L'Evil Fish

So can maths :colone:
Original post by 1209ll
So can maths :colone:

True

I'd rather learn further maths in my own time than German
Original post by anonwinner
I'd rather learn further maths in my own time than German

Each to their own

Language A Levels are ****ty exam wise anyway, so I'd rather not sit thenexams
True

Please inform me how taking Further Mathematics is beneficial considering the fact He/she is already considering taking Mathematics for A-Level anyway? I believe that it's not necessary whilst it also limits a person's career paths. When applying to a university; having an Advanced level in Mathematics is impressive enough, He/she doesn't need MORE Maths on top of it. He/she needs choices which are consistent, yet varied still giving him (or her) several opportunity routes. Finally, it personally seems quite boring to have all Science-related subjects (which includes Maths) instead of adding an arts subject (German).

Think about it.:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by taylortron99
Please inform me how taking Further Mathematics is beneficial considering the fact He/she is already considering taking Mathematics for A-Level anyway? I believe that it's not necessary whilst it also limits a person's career paths. When applying to a university; having an Advanced level in Mathematics is impressive enough, He/she doesn't need MORE Maths on top of it. He/she needs choices which are consistent, yet varied still giving him (or her) several opportunity routes. Finally, it personally seems quite boring to have all Science-related subjects (which includes Maths) instead of adding an arts subject (German).

Lol, Further Maths is a no brainer unless he's actually going to apply for German

Any science degree he stands a better chance
Economics

German he can talk about himself learning it without need for qualification

Further Maths is like the heavyweight of all a Levels in the eyes of unis
Reply 12
Original post by WhizzKidhehe:)
Hi everyone,

Maths / Chemistry / Physics would suggest to me some sort of degree in Maths/Chemistry/Physics/Engineering/Chemical-Engineering/Materials Science would be for you.

If that's the case then quite frankly Further Maths would be best for top unis. Often the requirements for Engineering are in Maths/FM/Physics and for Chemical Engineering you can add on Chemistry too. You'd just have to make sure you'd do the mechanics modules in FM and Maths (preferably the more the better).

While the other subjects you've mentioned are very good too it won't really benefit you when it comes to application to those top unis on the courses I've mentioned.. German yes is probably the next best but what would you use it for in the real world/ course? A year abroad course?

I've seen some of the posters on here claim FM can be more easily self-taught.. Yes it can but it's still bloody hard especially if you are going to do the top mechanics/stats modules with little online resources.

So my advice is quite simple : if you think you will get into a top uni go for :
Maths/FM/chemistry/physics ... If you think you can handle the pressure go for Maths/Chemistry/Physics/[any other subject]/FM, with FM being self-taught (at least for the AS any who)
Maths/[any other subject]/chemistry/physics for not as good as top universities.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, Further Maths is a no brainer unless he's actually going to apply for German

Any science degree he stands a better chance
Economics

German he can talk about himself learning it without need for qualification

Further Maths is like the heavyweight of all a Levels in the eyes of unis

Hmmmm... I still think German is the best option. I couldn't handle all that Science and Maths!:cool:

A-level maths is easy compared with further maths. Further maths is much more respected.

Science subjects are the best. It depends on where the OP's strengths/interests lie, but for any science related course, further maths would be better than a language.
Original post by MrJAKEE
If you think you can handle the pressure go for Maths/Chemistry/Physics/[any other subject]/FM, with FM being self-taught (at least for the AS any who)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why further maths self-taught? Why not just have lessons?
Original post by morgan8002
A-level maths is easy compared with further maths. Further maths is much more respected.

Science subjects are the best. It depends on where the OP's strengths/interests lie, but for any science related course, further maths would be better than a language.

I respect your opinion; however I still disagree. I believe an arts subjects like German is the best option. The skills and qualifications that you gain from studying a language at A-level are incredibly important tools to have under your belt.
I respect your opinion; however I still disagree. I believe an arts subjects like German is the best option. The skills and qualifications that you gain from studying a language at A-level are incredibly important tools to have under your belt.

Whereas the skills and qualifications learned from studying another maths A-level are incredibly important, respected and potentially a lot more relevant to the OP's chosen field.
Original post by morgan8002
Whereas the skills and qualifications learned from studying another maths A-level are incredibly important, respected and potentially a lot more relevant to the OP's chosen field.

Whereas, languages is an invaluable skill to have. Having a language can increase your salary from 8 to 20% and gives you a head start on other potential employees as by speaking another language you’re vital to any company who does international business (and there’s a lot of them). Plus, a language is also a pre-requisite for lots of uni courses (including Science and social science subjects) so it’s something to consider if when thinking about uni in the future. Languages are the key to the new, exciting multinational world we live in.
Whereas, languages is an invaluable skill to have. Having a language can increase your salary from 8 to 20% and gives you a head start on other potential employees as by speaking another language you’re vital to any company who does international business (and there’s a lot of them). Plus, a language is also a pre-requisite for lots of uni courses (including Science and social science subjects) so it’s something to consider if when thinking about uni in the future. Languages are the key to the new, exciting multinational world we live in.

You vastly underestimate the value of maths, particularly in maths/science related fields, however I agree to disagree.

Very few courses actually require a language. UCL requires a language at GCSE, but you can take it there.

Quick Reply

Latest