The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by TornadoGR4
A bit of underestimating going on in here, I wouldn't assume you can just walk over Middlesbrough...

We are at home so we should play our strongest 11 including Sanchez, Cazorla and Rosicky and just try to hammer them to send a message.
It's not about winning it's about sending a message.
Reply 321
Original post by sevchenko
Wenger's economics degree coming in handy

The man is a proper superscrimper. Every penny counts mentality

hahahahaha
Wenger has a genius plan to get messi for £10mill. He has already predicted the next football market crash just like he knew Real Madrid and PSG getting james and luiz for ridiculous prices will ruin the summer market.
Reply 322
Original post by angelfox
Utd have got Sheffield Utd. Quite frankly I'm glad we avoided them, anyone seen there record under Clough in the cups?! :eek::eek:

i want United and Liverpool to at least reach semi's so it will be interesting even if we have a lower chance of winning the cup.
The players need to learn the mentality to win cup games against the big boys when needed.
Original post by ETRC
i want United and Liverpool to at least reach semi's so it will be interesting even if we have a lower chance of winning the cup.
The players need to learn the mentality to win cup games against the big boys when needed.

We need Utd going out. If we face them at any stage in this we are going out.
Original post by Loat
The squad felt the need to give a show to the crowd, same as in the final. If you had paid £80 for a ticket and walked through the horrors of Wembley you wouldn't want to see a dull 70%+ possession 2-0 win, and Wenger is aware of that.

I still get goosebumps off Mertesacker's goal.
Reply 325
We need Utd going out. If we face them at any stage in this we are going out.

We will never learn to beat them unless we play them
And we have a better squad, the players just need to not get past a mental block
Original post by ETRC
We will never learn to beat them unless we play them
And we have a better squad, the players just need to not get past a mental block

Quite frankly that can wait till next season.

We need another FA Cup, Quarter finals of the CL and a third place to show any kind of progress.
Well that was a ****ty draw, no good games really tbh apart from Preston NE vs Cambridge :biggrin:

At home against Championship opposition, we should get through but won't be getting complacent, have to say if City lose to Chelsea on the weekend we should be aiming for 2nd place, retaining the FA Cup and CL Semi's to be realistic
I would be happy with 2nd place this season, and hopefully to beat Chelsea at home in the league. I think that match should be treated every much as equally as the other important games (e.g. Man Utd away, we need to break that hoodoo) as it represents our progress. We must get into the knack of beating the big teams (especially away) in big games as ultimately that will be what will represent our ability to truly challenge in the Champions League.

An FA Cup win would also be great but it is not the be all and end all of things. Tbh I would rather we get to the CL Semis as we know already we have the ability in the squad to win an FA Cup
Original post by leinad2012
Well that was a ****ty draw, no good games really tbh apart from Preston NE vs Cambridge :biggrin:

At home against Championship opposition, we should get through but won't be getting complacent, have to say if City lose to Chelsea on the weekend we should be aiming for 2nd place, retaining the FA Cup and CL Semi's to be realistic

We've got an outside chance at the PL. If we can get to 30 games and 6-8 points off the top we have got a chance (a very small one). To win it we can only afford to drop around 3-5 points to the end of the season imo.
The dream this season for me is knocking out a big team in the CL over two legs (e.g. a Bayern, Madrid, Chelsea). Ultimately I think the progress in the CL or PL vs big teams will have a cross over effect, vice versa.
And lol at people forgetting we actually got owned by Monaco in our own gaff in pre-season.
Original post by Tom_Ford
And lol at people forgetting we actually got owned by Monaco in our own gaff in pre-season.

Wouldn't read too much into a preseason friendly tbh Monaco were way far ahead in match fitness and sharpness considering their first Ligue 1 match was 7 days later.

Arsenal were only just adapting to the 4-1-4-1 and suffering from post World cup fitness problems.

Many can see we've turning a corner in terms of consistency and quality performances with key players coming back. Hopefully we'll go hard for the remainder of the season
Wouldn't read too much into a preseason friendly tbh Monaco were way far ahead in match fitness and sharpness considering their first Ligue 1 match was 7 days later.

Indeed, even Falcrap managed to score.
Original post by sr90
Indeed, even Falcrap managed to score.

Do you still want him to sign on a permanent deal?
Do you still want him to sign on a permanent deal?

I'd take him if we can renegotiate the price. £25m yes, £44m absolutely not.

He's shown glimpses of what he can do, but overall he's been a flop. Our dire midfield/tactics and his injuries haven't helped him.
We've got an outside chance at the PL. If we can get to 30 games and 6-8 points off the top we have got a chance (a very small one). To win it we can only afford to drop around 3-5 points to the end of the season imo.

I'm normally optimistic but we have no chance of winning the league, if Chelsea carry on at their current points per game rate they'll finish on 90 points, 3 more than we can get even if we win our last 16 games. Chelsea and city would have to royally **** up and us win at least 14 of our last 16 games to even stand a chance, and I don't think either have even a small chance of happening
Good to see paulista has got a work permit according to BBC, looks like a done deal although a bit more expensive than I hoped.

Now a cheeky contract deal with Khedira and put in feelers for Carvalho and Czech or another keeper for the summer...

Mind you I'd still say we're a gk, cdm, St and even winger short of a title challenging side even with our cb crisis eased

We'd have to beat United away, Chelsea at home and even after that get a significant swing in our favour to catch that gap up...
Monaco will be tough but you should get through. No James or Falcao but they've still got Moutinho, Toulalan and Berbatov who can do damage on their day.

If Wenger gets the tactics right(which he seems like he's doing) then you should be fine.