The Student Room Group

Coping with Oxbridge rejection

How are you getting on after being rejected?
Feeling pretty low about it myself at the minute, so would like to hear other people's thoughts!
Feel free to post your plans and discuss etc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm perfectly fine, I never really wanted to go in the first place :dontknow: It's definitely not the end of the world, and I don't think wasting time on negativity thinking about rejection is a wise thing to do - I've firmed Bath (it's my ONLY choice :lol:) so I'm very hyped for it :cool: Just think about how good your other universities are!
Reply 2
Original post by Bude8
I'm perfectly fine, I never really wanted to go in the first place :dontknow: It's definitely not the end of the world, and I don't think wasting time on negativity thinking about rejection is a wise thing to do - I've firmed Bath (it's my ONLY choice :lol:) so I'm very hyped for it :cool: Just think about how good your other universities are!

Very true! It was just so easy to get so set on it, but I am excited for Durham. What are you going to study?
Reply 3
I was rejected from Cambridge and I'm pretty happy about it, because it's really not the place for me! The whole college system doesn't suit me because I'd like to learn to live in the real world and not in a small bubble being catered for. Plus it's far too expensive. The atmosphere at the college I applied to wasn't anything special and apparently there's not much on in Cambridge (in terms of student life). (I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing it or anything, it's just not the place I want to be.)
I have a conditional from Glasgow and I'm waiting for replies from my other unis now! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Nerdz
I was rejected from Cambridge and I'm pretty happy about it, because it's really not the place for me! The whole college system doesn't suit me because I'd like to learn to live in the real world and not in a small bubble being catered for. Plus it's far too expensive. The atmosphere at the college I applied to wasn't anything special and apparently there's not much on in Cambridge (in terms of student life). (I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing it or anything, it's just not the place I want to be.)
I have a conditional from Glasgow and I'm waiting for replies from my other unis now! :smile:

I've heard all of this so I can take some resolve in it, and haha I'm worried that if I ever say a bad word about it I'll sound embittered (which I probably am).
What are you going to study? Glasgow looks class by the way!
It definitely sucked for a while but you kind of get over it once you put things into perspective. Going to choose between King's and UCL (still waiting) so it's not looking too bad
Reply 6
Original post by Jay Smith
I've heard all of this so I can take some resolve in it, and haha I'm worried that if I ever say a bad word about it I'll sound embittered (which I probably am).
What are you going to study? Glasgow looks class by the way!

Hahaha don't worry about it, you'll eventually settle down in a really awesome university and realise how much you could have missed!
English Literature, and if I can do joint honours maybe History of Art. What about you?
Reply 7
Original post by Nerdz
Hahaha don't worry about it, you'll eventually settle down in a really awesome university and realise how much you could have missed!
English Literature, and if I can do joint honours maybe History of Art. What about you?

Hopefully! And ah sounds good, I'm doing International Relations
Reply 8
Original post by binarythoughts
It definitely sucked for a while but you kind of get over it once you put things into perspective. Going to choose between King's and UCL (still waiting) so it's not looking too bad

In the process of putting it into perspective. Both top unis, I'm still waiting for King's myself but I doubt I'll firm or insure it now. What have you applied to do?

UCL
Reply 10
Hopefully! And ah sounds good, I'm doing International Relations

Sounds like a good subject! Best of luck to you :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Abdul-Karim
UCL

Agreed
Reply 12
Original post by Nerdz
Sounds like a good subject! Best of luck to you :biggrin:

Thank you and you!
Very true! It was just so easy to get so set on it, but I am excited for Durham. What are you going to study?

Chemical Engineering :smile: I actually drew up a pros and cons list - for me, Bath had a lot more important pros than Cambridge...
In the process of putting it into perspective. Both top unis, I'm still waiting for King's myself but I doubt I'll firm or insure it now. What have you applied to do?

Law.
And you? What are your other choices?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
UCL

You go there?
Original post by Bude8
Chemical Engineering :smile: I actually drew up a pros and cons list - for me, Bath had a lot more important pros than Cambridge...

I am thinking of doing Chemical engineering. Where did you apply and if you don't mind saying what grades did you achieve (AS UMS/GCSE's). Also did you have any work experience, not sure if I need some
Reply 17
Law.
And you? What are your other choices?

IR.
Durham twice for both Politics and IR as I couldn't decide on a fifth choice, and York.
What about you?
Hello! Not to rub salt into a potential wound or anything, but I'm 99.9% sure I'll choose LSE over Oxford. It is just a much better place - better employment prospects, more interesting course content, LONDON (where you can actually have fun and do interesting things during your studies while having free time) and, surprisingly enough, it turns out to be the cheaper option. I can go on and on about this (check my previous posts if you don't believe me) but life would have been so much easier with a rejection! I mean everything points to LSE but quite a few people are trying to convince me that Oxford is better. I believe this is only because of its historical reputation and that it has become part of the English culture and people are reluctant to admit that a powerhouse such as LSE is eclipsing one of the traditional symbols of British education,
Reply 19
Original post by Bude8

Good shout, can't say I've tried that one! Where else did you apply? I didn't mind Bath when I went to the open day but went for York instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending