The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Its kinda good having mocks in feb because ive been doing a lot of revision for them which has s basically for the real things:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by big_dreamer
Hahaha same here too. I kinda failed my mocks but they didn't go as bad as I thought. You will be fine

:smile: That's good.

Don't want to jinx mine... :rolleyes: so I'll stay silent on that note. Although our history teacher was marking our papers in a revision session (she told us so as blackmail to be quiet...) and she kept on sighing, laughing incredulously and tutting. :s-smilie:

Thanks anyway :biggrin: for the vote of confidence.

Original post by ha27
has anyone started revising for may and june? if so how much a day if not when do u plan to start

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to do a bit every day if possible after mocks finish - not a lot, just reviewing topics I find hard for 20 mins or so - I've learnt the hard way with mocks (in progress...:frown: ) and last-minute late night cramming is taking its toll. Cuz I understood the stuff when I learnt it, it's just applying it to questions and my short term memory that lets me down. Aka it seems I do well only because I cram. :/ Not good. So yeah. Wbu?

Original post by dumb cabbage
What's the best tip for revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers. And going over weak topics brought up by test results and past papers. Learning from mistakes you made in the past and filling in any gaps in your notes . Question technique. I don't know, can't think of anything else right now. :smile: Hope this helped a bit.
Original post by Aph
A whole page you year 11 filled with 12's and 10's

meanwhile in the year 10 thread:rip:

:biggrin: Come to the dark side. We have cookies. Mwahaha.

(if it makes you feel better, this is still the first thread...?)

Original post by LeFeuilly
Mock Spanish results, ohmygods >_<

Writing: B. This was absolutely horrid, especially since I struggle with fitting in c.18 verbs into each writing component; I'm hoping to improve this, though I'm not entirely sure how to save for copious amounts of practice and past papers.

Overall, it gives me a B (为什么为什么) which is a major disappointment as I'm on a predicted grade A, but oh well ...

Oh gods. That sounds annoying... Someone in my year got told after the first biology exam that she was one mark off a grade boundary so she has to bring it up in the second paper... The pressure must be unreal. :frown:

Hope the remarking goes well. :smile:

Original post by Steliata
Why did you say 'Why why' in Chinese?

Um. Direct translation isn't great - it's more of a informal saying kind of thing if that makes sense - like 'omg, what is this life' or 'what did I do to deserve this' kind of meaning if that makes sense (butchered up the translation but ya know. life. ) :biggrin: Not my question to answer but hey. :smile:
Lel. Two casual bulk posts in a row. #procrastinating :colondollar:
Original post by Positivedani
Its kinda good having mocks in feb because ive been doing a lot of revision for them which has s basically for the real things:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Truee I'm not too sure how well I have done I got
Geography- b
Maths- b
English- c
Double science- cc

I'm happy with geography, my teacher said I can get an A in my real exam for maths (she's basically forcing me to do well so I get an A) with english we hardly did any practice before exam as we were doing more of coursework but after he mocks we did more practice and I believe I can get an A or B (what exam board are you with? My school has changed to Cambridge this year) and for science I did foundation for Biology 1, physics 1 and chemistry 1 so I'm happy but in February we have to do mocks for biology 2, physics 2 and chemistry 2 and i think I'm doing foundation for that however if I get a double cc then I'll be doing higher in summer. I blab on way too much so yeah k thanks for reading baiii .-.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3705
Original post by turn-to-page394
:biggrin: Come to the dark side. We have cookies. Mwahaha.

(if it makes you feel better, this is still the first thread...?)

Nope I'm fine with the year 12:biggrin:

i don't care much:tongue:
Original post by Jitesh
Have you guys started revising yet for real exams?

Yup just for some subjects though! Boring :frown:
Original post by Aph
Nope I'm fine with the year 12:biggrin:

i don't care much:tongue:

Reject the cookies why don't you... haha, how is it?

:eek:Geez, be that way.
Reply 3708
Reject the cookies why don't you... haha, how is it?

:eek:Geez, be that way.

Gingerbread makes the mets cookies for us year 12's only:giggle:
Um. Direct translation isn't great - it's more of a informal saying kind of thing if that makes sense - like 'omg, what is this life' or 'what did I do to deserve this' kind of meaning if that makes sense (butchered up the translation but ya know. life. ) :biggrin: Not my question to answer but hey. :smile:

Oh right, some things are hard to translate, Chinese is weird sometimes... Thanks for clearing that up, might use it :smile:
Original post by GeniulsyEvil
i wouldn't say they are soft because to be honest it depends on what you want to do after sixth form/College so for sixthform/college you need to choose subjects which direct you into what you want to do, so i wouldnt care about waht other people say as long as they help me to acheive my goals.

i am doing - A-level chemistry
A-level Geograph
A-level maths
A-level Biology

because i want go to Medical school- to study medicine

Original post by Déscartés
Your best bet would be to check different uni websites and see what they regard as 'soft'. Normally if 2 subjects overlap quite significantly then they'd prefer you only take one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by gemmax4
Don't worry about it. Universities only ask for specific subjects in things like science degrees etc, if you know what you want to do for your degree then I would recommend you look at universities and see if they do ask for any specific subjects. Also, psychology is actually regarded as one of the harder A-Levels as it is a science, and sociology and psychology aren't similar at all, they just go hand in hand together.

Thank you so much everyone :smile: I think I will stick with doing English Lit, Psychology, Sociology and Politics as I am interested in all of these subjects in spite of some of them perhaps being regarded as 'soft'. I wish I was better at Spanish though as I wouldn't have minded carrying it on to AS but I don't think my grades would be good enough.
Speaking of 'soft' subjects, do you reckon my subjects will be okay for Russell Group unis? (Chinese, English Language, Philosophy and Ethics, Music) My parents are concerned that it's closing doors and that I won't be able to do what I want down the line because of lack of facilitating subjects.

For that matter, how many universities actually care how many facilitating subjects you've taken?
Hi, I'm in year 11 and I really want to do the physics Olympiad in March this year (2015) I just wanted to know how best to prepare for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone here doing Cambridge IGCSE English? I'm a bit worried because I don't know how to answer any of the questions in the Literature paper as my English teacher has told us just about nothing :/ I got a B in the mock and we don't have coursework either :frown:
Original post by Peachy23
Anyone here doing Cambridge IGCSE English? I'm a bit worried because I don't know how to answer any of the questions in the Literature paper as my English teacher has told us just about nothing :/ I got a B in the mock and we don't have coursework either :frown:

Is it English language or literature?l

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dumb cabbage
Is it English language or literature?l

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literature :smile:
Original post by Steliata
Speaking of 'soft' subjects, do you reckon my subjects will be okay for Russell Group unis? (Chinese, English Language, Philosophy and Ethics, Music)

If you have a look at Trinity's list of Acceptable A-Level Subjects, all of your subjects are in the list for being suitable with only one being classified as having "limited suitability" but either way, it's not in the last heading. :tongue:

My parents are concerned that it's closing doors and that I won't be able to do what I want down the line because of lack of facilitating subjects.

If you have a look at the Informed Choices booklet and scroll down to "subjects required for different career courses", you should get an idea as to which sorts of courses and how many courses may be options for you.

For that matter, how many universities actually care how many facilitating subjects you've taken?

It honestly depends on the uni and what course you've applied for tbh! :tongue: Do you have any ideas as to what you'd like to do? :smile:
Got my mock results back. :/
Do you think that with hard work I could turn A*A*A*A*AABBCC into A*A*A*A*A*A*AABB? So basically bring all my grades that weren't A-*s up by one grade? Is this realistic? Stressing out :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
Yes
What about going from High Bs and Low As in English Language Controlled Assessments to an A* overall ..?
Original post by usycool1
If you have a look at Trinity's list of Acceptable A-Level Subjects, all of your subjects are in the list for being suitable with only one being classified as having "limited suitability" but either way, it's not in the last heading. :tongue:

If you have a look at the Informed Choices booklet and scroll down to "subjects required for different career courses", you should get an idea as to which sorts of courses and how many courses may be options for you.

It honestly depends on the uni and what course you've applied for tbh! :tongue: Do you have any ideas as to what you'd like to do? :smile:

I don't really know what I want to do yet but I think something studying some form of culture (eg Japanese Studies or something similar) would be interesting. I'm definitely shooting for Russell Group. I'll look at the links you gave me, and I have a meeting with my school higher education advisor today. Hopefully I'll be able to do these subjects. Thanks for your help :smile:

Latest