The Student Room Group

Help please! Can't decide between Oxford and Harvard

Scroll to see replies

just want to clarify something, oxford /do/ consider retakes. so don't let that deter you. i literally had an oxford advisor in my school today and she said that they do consider retakes, but only once. any retakes after the first try won't be counted.
as for the schools, if this is serious, then you just pick whichever you like better - consider the pros and cons of both. pros of oxford, living in england, pros of any american school and living in america. consider the financial issues. will you miss your family? get homesick? it's impossible to get any support like you could in england when you're in america. it sounds silly, but distinguishing between three amazing schools is really about being picky and thinking about the little things.
Original post by marcoboy1818
Thank you for your helpful reply, although I really do not appreciate being called arrogant.

No, and I don't appreciate people acting as if brilliant grades are oh so terrible either.
Original post by Klix88
Of course you do. Totally credible. Everybody shares internet accounts. Completely believable. Do carry on. Both of you.

I hope you are not being sarcastic, We do share an account. Now let us return to the question in hand.. once again.
Original post by Chlorophile
No, and I don't appreciate people acting as if brilliant grades are oh so terrible either.

Well, this is the Oxford forum. Where people actually achieve good grades...
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Troll detected

Troll detected indeed. I fear this story has more plot-holes than 'The Dark Knight Rises'. Even if you were to begin to take it seriously, the simple inconsistency regarding when students apply to and hear from Oxbridge and the Ivy Leagues would smack you in the face.

Oxbridge: apply in October, hear back in January.

Ivy Leagues: apply in January (normally), heard back in March.
Well, this is the Oxford forum. Where people actually achieve good grades...

Yes, that doesn't mean you need to go on about how "bad" one single A grade amongst a parade of A*s is. It's exactly these kinds of threads that give people the impression Oxbridge is snobbish. Let's finish this conversation there, okay? :smile:
Reply 26
this thread is a true joke... totally shocked by the pomposity, arrogance and immaturity of you know who...
Why would you need a back up if you have an unconditional offer? Surely if you accept the offer then you're in so there's no need for a back up....

Definitely a troll.
Original post by faggstagram
just want to clarify something, oxford /do/ consider retakes. so don't let that deter you. i literally had an oxford advisor in my school today and she said that they do consider retakes, but only once. any retakes after the first try won't be counted.
as for the schools, if this is serious, then you just pick whichever you like better - consider the pros and cons of both. pros of oxford, living in england, pros of any american school and living in america. consider the financial issues. will you miss your family? get homesick? it's impossible to get any support like you could in england when you're in america. it sounds silly, but distinguishing between three amazing schools is really about being picky and thinking about the little things.

Yes. Again this is serious. Are you applying for Oxford? I have heard that Oxford do consider retakes (especially after interview success). I have family in both America and England and am often away from home. I am not really bothered about this though, I am not the emotional type..academia is all that interests me (along with my basketball and running of course).
Why not go London Met? I hear it's a really good uni.
Original post by Chlorophile
Yes, that doesn't mean you need to go on about how "bad" one single A grade amongst a parade of A*s is. It's exactly these kinds of threads that give people the impression Oxbridge is snobbish. Let's finish this conversation there, okay? :smile:

Okay you have your opinion. No problem. It doesn't bother me about the social reputation of Oxford, just the academic reputation (which is impeccable of course)...
Original post by vickidc18
Why not go London Met? I hear it's a really good uni.

If you think that is a good university, then maybe you belong there...
Hi everyone, I am so glad you are all participating in this thread. I have had some very helpful replies and I thank those people. But before people start referring to this thread as a "Troll" please have a read first. I have clearly explained what my situation is in the question and in later posts.

I understand for some people this may be hard to believe, but I can assure you I am being serious.
If you think that is a good university, then maybe you belong there...

I heard London Met has great links with the sanitation and catering industries! Also good if you want to 'work from home' all your life!!! So yeah career prospects are 'diverse' also the pure fact that one would live in London (the "global capital") gives you the 'headstart' one needs to really take the world markets by storm.

In conclusion London Met is no joke!!!!!
Original post by TeeEm
this thread is a true joke... totally shocked by the pomposity, arrogance and immaturity of you know who...

Please do not attempt to undermine me... Thank you.
Original post by solarplexus
I heard London Met has great links with the sanitation and catering industries! Also good if you want to 'work from home' all your life!!! So yeah career prospects are 'diverse' also the pure fact that one would live in London (the "global capital") gives you the 'headstart' one needs to really take the world markets by storm.

In conclusion London Met is no joke!!!!!

I wasn't saying that London Met is a joke, I was talking about the people that go there.
Can we please get back on track. Thank you.
Reply 38
Can we please stop discussing whether or not I am joking (I can assure you that I am not!) and steer the conversation towards the question in hand. I high standards that's all..

Can you post a screenshot of your offer? (just blur your names with paint).
Nobody believes you.
:smile:
Original post by Gott
Oxford if you want to live in England long term

Thank you for that, I am aware that Oxford is in England. Do you know of any other advantages of choosing Oxford over my other offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending