The Student Room Group

To people who DON'T drink alcohol

Why?

Aren't you bored of seeing all your friends having a good time on the strip? You say you can have fun without alcohol but when everyone around you is drunk is it not just weird and awkward?

Don't you grow tiresome of the people achieving hedonism by simply engorging in the delicious elixir that is alcohol.

Have you ever let yourself loose and tried it? Being drunk can be really fun if moderated and you can still have a great healthy lifestyle.

Recent studies have actually pointed at alcohol being good for your health if consumed in moderation: http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891

So...... what are you waiting for?

:colone:

Scroll to see replies

You're such a troll. Why did I have the impression from the other time we discussed this that you were studying physics at university? Are you studying it at uni but not at degree level despite your "magnificent a-levels"? What's going on here. Why was I so mislead?

And I've told you, these website articles you link are not very good proof of anything and the scientific studies they link within themselves (even if they do, which they often don't) are not very good either. I explained in the other thread why that was the case, but you seem to misunderstand statistics quite a bit.

To answer your question - it isn't healthy; my grand-father abused it and it put me right off; I don't like the idea of not being 100% me, because I'm awesome; it is too expensive compared to water/milk; I don't succumb to peer pressure at all and dislike most of the environment which are usually why people want to drink anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ok, let's completely ignore the fact that currently, I can't actually drink alcohol due to the medication I'm on:
I don't really like the taste of alcohol. Being drunk isn't, ime, that good. It's a rubbish feeling. I'd rather be in control of what I'm doing. I also have better things to spend my money on.
Original post by Gott
Alcohol is bad for memorising things when revising, it's estrogenic, it gets you into bad habits which make it for more than just the occasional binge

Why on earth would you drink alcohol when revising?

You don't get into bad habits if you have a strong will power
Original post by TorpidPhil
You're such a troll. Why did I have the impression from the other time we discussed this that you were studying physics at university? Are you studying it at uni but not at degree level despite your "magnificent a-levels"? What's going on here. Why was I so mislead?

And I've told you, these website articles you link are not very good proof of anything and the scientific studies they link within themselves (even if they do, which they often don't) are not very good either. I explained in the other thread why that was the case, but you seem to misunderstand statistics quite a bit.

To answer your question - it isn't healthy; my grand-father abused it and it put me right off; I don't like the idea of not being 100% me, because I'm awesome; it is too expensive compared to water/milk; I don't succumb to peer pressure at all and dislike most of the environment which are usually why people want to drink anyway.

So because of bad experiences? Interesting. I thought you said milk was bad? :colone:

Original post by OU Student
Ok, let's completely ignore the fact that currently, I can't actually drink alcohol due to the medication I'm on:
I don't really like the taste of alcohol. Being drunk isn't, ime, that good. It's a rubbish feeling. I'd rather be in control of what I'm doing. I also have better things to spend my money on.

Fair enough about taste, it is an acquired taste. Rubbish feeling? How drunk did you get? :holmes:

Alcohol can be cheap if you buy spirits :smile:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Rubbish feeling? How drunk did you get? :holmes:

I was stupid enough to mix drinks on an empty stomach. :redface: Apparently, I turned a bit of a strange colour. (I always do if I'm going to throw up) I do remember at some point, the room spinning when I laid down.
I was stupid enough to mix drinks on an empty stomach. :redface: Apparently, I turned a bit of a strange colour. (I always do if I'm going to throw up) I do remember at some point, the room spinning when I laid down.

:rolleyes:

Classic, I remember the first time I got wasted off vodka, thing is don't let bad experiences in the past dictate your future.

At least you know your limits now and you know not to drink that much again
I just don't feel the need to. I really hate drunk people as well, they just annoy me and do stupid things that they regret.
The smell of most of them is enough to put me off but the taste isn't good either :tongue:
:rolleyes:

Classic, I remember the first time I got wasted off vodka, thing is don't let bad experiences in the past dictate your future.

At least you know your limits now and you know not to drink that much again

I was 17 and stupid. When I did used to drink, it was usually something like cider or beer, (wasn't that keen on other stuff) and then maybe coke or another soft drink after. That was also the first and last time I had whiskey. Disgusting stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
is it not just weird and awkward?

Yes it is because of how irritating and rude drunk people are. I always think 'if only your sober self could see yourself now....'

I rarely drink as I don't like the taste... honestly that's it. Plus i'd rather not puke.

But to be honest I don't know why people would need a reason to drink or not to drink. No one needs to explain themselves.
So because of bad experiences? Interesting. I thought you said milk was bad? :colone:

Fair enough about taste, it is an acquired taste. Rubbish feeling? How drunk did you get? :holmes:

Alcohol can be cheap if you buy spirits :smile:

You're really good at what you do - act annoying. But there's no point talking to you because you just make stuff up and are all over the place. It's... Futile. So I'm done. From here and on.
The last time I got truly drunk I started punching the host in the gut for ****s and giggles, time before that I tried to lift up an oak tree. TSR sees me sober. Can you imagine me drunk?

Don't ge me started on the effect of alcohol as a depressant and on cortisol levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why?

Aren't you bored of seeing all your friends having a good time on the strip? You say you can have fun without alcohol but when everyone around you is drunk is it not just weird and awkward?

Don't you grow tiresome of the people achieving hedonism by simply engorging in the delicious elixir that is alcohol.

Have you ever let yourself loose and tried it? Being drunk can be really fun if moderated and you can still have a great healthy lifestyle.

Recent studies have actually pointed at alcohol being good for your health if consumed in moderation: http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891

>advocates getting drunk
>then says alcohol is healthy in moderation

According to http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/#what_is_moderate :
The latest consensus places this point at no more than one to two drinks per day for men, and no more than one drink per day for women. This is the definition used by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans

You'd have a hard time getting drunk on that.

I prefer other methods of enjoying myself :leaf:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Why?

I prefer fruit juice.

I have quite a nice time actually, sipping my fruit juice.
Don't you grow tiresome of the people achieving hedonism by simply engorging in the delicious elixir that is alcohol

Nope, I'll take my fruit juice.

I'll pass. I did try some alcohol before but I still don't understand what the whole buzz is about. Fruit juice just tastes so much better.

Cool, fresh fruit juice is even better for you.

Fruit juice should really not cost so much.
I don't like the taste of it. And yes, I have tried different drinks, usually because of other people going, "Here, try this," as they can be a bit baffled that I don't enjoy it. It all just tastes unpleasant to me, though. It's just the way it is, and I see no point in forcing myself to drink it, no more than I'll force myself to eat mushrooms or Brussels sprouts, which I really dislike as well.
Reply 16
Don't like the taste or effects, I don't fin fit fun
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I just don't feel the need to. I really hate drunk people as well, they just annoy me and do stupid things that they regret.
The smell of most of them is enough to put me off but the taste isn't good either :tongue:

Have you ever drunk/been drunk? I wouldn't hate drunk people if you got drunk yourself though :rolleyes:

The stupid things are what makes being drunk fun! Then laugh about it in the morning with your friends :smile:

I was 17 and stupid. When I did used to drink, it was usually something like cider or beer, (wasn't that keen on other stuff) and then maybe coke or another soft drink after. That was also the first and last time I had whiskey. Disgusting stuff.

Yeah sounds good, whiskey is disgusting I normally mix vodka and coke which is quite nice.

Original post by Runninground
Yes it is because of how irritating and rude drunk people are. I always think 'if only your sober self could see yourself now....'

I rarely drink as I don't like the taste... honestly that's it. Plus i'd rather not puke.

But to be honest I don't know why people would need a reason to drink or not to drink. No one needs to explain themselves.

If you're drunk you don't find other drunk people irritating, if you drink alcohol you get a taste for it.

Mixing drinkings is also great and tastes really nice :ahee:

Original post by TorpidPhil
You're really good at what you do - act annoying. But there's no point talking to you because you just make stuff up and are all over the place. It's... Futile. So I'm done. From here and on.

I'm not trolling what I said was true so....

bye
Original post by StarvingAutist
>advocates getting drunk
>then says alcohol is healthy in moderation

According to http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/#what_is_moderate :

You'd have a hard time getting drunk on that.

I prefer other methods of enjoying myself :leaf:

Condemns drinking alcohol and says it's really bad then promotes weed :rofl:

Oh youth and naivety :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Condones drinking alcohol and says it's really bad then promotes weed :rofl:

Oh youth and naivety :rolleyes:

>thinks 'condones' means 'condemns'

And yeah, I didn't condemn it. It's just getting drunk isn't healthy. That isn't disputable. On occasion it's fun (not good for you) but regularly it's pretty unhealthy. Weed is inarguably less dangerous than alcohol (disregarding smoke: obvious cancer risk. I'm talking about vaping/eating).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending