The Student Room Group

Coping with Oxbridge rejection

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super199
I am thinking of doing Chemical engineering. Where did you apply and if you don't mind saying what grades did you achieve (AS UMS/GCSE's). Also did you have any work experience, not sure if I need some

Just to Cambridge and Bath, although I only wanted to have the Cambridge interview for fun and never had the intention of accepting the offer, even if I got one, and my parents also wanted me to apply. I got 6 A*s, 5As for my GCSEs and an A in Admaths. I'm currently an IB student, predicted 43/45 with 777 in HL Maths, Chemistry and Physics. No work experience; it's not too important.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jay Smith
Good shout, can't say I've tried that one! Where else did you apply? I didn't mind Bath when I went to the open day but went for York instead

Just to Bath :lol:
Reply 22
Original post by powelsmartin
Hello! Not to rub salt into a potential wound or anything, but I'm 99.9% sure I'll choose LSE over Oxford. It is just a much better place - better employment prospects, more interesting course content, LONDON (where you can actually have fun and do interesting things during your studies while having free time) and, surprisingly enough, it turns out to be the cheaper option. I can go on and on about this (check my previous posts if you don't believe me) but life would have been so much easier with a rejection! I mean everything points to LSE but quite a few people are trying to convince me that Oxford is better. I believe this is only because of its historical reputation and that it has become part of the English culture and people are reluctant to admit that a powerhouse such as LSE is eclipsing one of the traditional symbols of British education,

If you prefer it, don't hesitate. However I disagree people are reluctant to admit LSE is eclipsing Oxford, even if that may be the case, more likely they just haven't looked into it so specifically like you have and are just going off face value
Reply 23
Original post by Bude8
Just to Bath :lol:

How come?!
IR.
Durham twice for both Politics and IR as I couldn't decide on a fifth choice, and York.
What about you?

Those two are the only ones I'm actually considering, my other options were kind of safe schools though I will have to insure one of them :smile:
How come?!

Wasn't interested in any other university, and the course at Bath gives you an entire placement year along with 4 years of study, as well as the opportunity to go abroad. It's also a campus university, which I really like the idea of :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by binarythoughts
Those two are the only ones I'm actually considering, my other options were kind of safe schools though I will have to insure one of them :smile:

I'm still deliberating over which one to be honest!
I received a pre-interview rejection from Oxford for History of Art. I was kind of gutted at first, I felt like I could do it because my grade profile was alright and I had gone to summer schools at Oxford and Cambridge - my family also put a lot of pressure on me to get in, even though none of them have been to university. In retrospect I'm kind of relieved as I think the pressure might have been too much for me, and coming for a low income family I would have been worried about not fitting in.
I've now firmed UCL and am looking forward to starting in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I applied to cambridge last year and I was rejected because I wasn't picked out from the pool. If any of you feel down about, don't be, seriously it's not the end of the world! Many unsuccessful applicants go on to do extremely well at other universities!

I hope this helps even a little :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Medical-al
Hey guys, I applied to cambridge last year and I was rejected because I wasn't picked out from the pool. If any of you feel down about, don't be, seriously it's not the end of the world! Many unsuccessful applicants go on to do extremely well at other universities!

I hope this helps even a little :smile:

Thank you! Where are you now?
Lol.

First World problems.

:rolleyes:
Thank you! Where are you now?

Hey, I'm on a gap year right now! I've reapplied for medicine, but I chose universities that are a lot more 'humble' than cambridge :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Medical-al
Hey, I'm on a gap year right now! I've reapplied for medicine, but I chose universities that are a lot more 'humble' than cambridge :smile:

I don't blame you.
Oxford would've been a great opportunity and rejection sucked, but I'm pretty much over it now! My rejection officially came through on UCAS today but I didn't feel anything, onwards and upwards :smile:
I don't get why you would apply to either Cambridge or Oxford if you had absolutely no intention of going there?? You wasted a choice on your Ucas form and put yourself through all of the jumping through hoops to get there only to either get a rejection or reject the offer if you got on!!!
My grades were/are/would be good enough to apply to either one of them. My college has a pretty good record of getting students accepted there but after talking to my Maths teacher, I decided neither were right for me. I would have picked Cambridge for Maths and the chance of getting a Blue at rugby.
Did you apply just because it was OxBridge?
Did you apply to follow in the family footsteps or school tradition?
If you had your heart set on OxBridge, why? If not for the above questions?
Reply 35
Original post by JamjamjamT
I don't get why you would apply to either Cambridge or Oxford if you had absolutely no intention of going there?? You wasted a choice on your Ucas form and put yourself through all of the jumping through hoops to get there only to either get a rejection or reject the offer if you got on!!!
My grades were/are/would be good enough to apply to either one of them. My college has a pretty good record of getting students accepted there but after talking to my Maths teacher, I decided neither were right for me. I would have picked Cambridge for Maths and the chance of getting a Blue at rugby.

Direct your question.
Super sad on the day. Then I was fine. Then I got an offer through UCAS. Was made to wait for three days. Then I was re-rejected on the phone and through UCAS. Well done Oxford... Well done.
Original post by Xin Xang
Lol.

First World problems.

:rolleyes:

Indeed :biggrin:

I have offers from both Oxford and LSE and I'm deciding between them right now. I am seriously inclined towards LSE, but as you have said, people are pressuring me towards Oxford. That said, it is my school (to look good for Ofsted) and friends who in my opinion don't know any better. My bosses and employers during my summer work experiences all unanimously agree that LSE is better so I'm 99.9% sure I will firm them. But I applied to Oxford to have this choice and to see whether it was right for me.

It's easier to say you wouldn't have gone anyway after getting a rejection

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending