The Student Room Group

Good choice of A-Levels?

My college applications need to be completed by this Friday so I'm just finalizing my choices. When I leave college I think I want to do something to do with business/finance. Do these seem like good options to you?

Maths

Physics

Economics

Business Studies

Year 11 Mock grades:

A* Physics
A* Biology
A* Geography
A Maths
B Chemistry
B English Lang
B English Lit
B RE
D Graphics
D German

I've heard that Business Studies isn't regarded as a 'Soft' A-Level but I don't want to overload myself with work. Any advice?
Original post by JAMllE
My college applications need to be completed by this Friday so I'm just finalizing my choices. When I leave college I think I want to do something to do with business/finance. Do these seem like good options to you?

Maths

Physics

Economics

Business Studies

Year 11 Mock grades:

A* Physics
A* Biology
A* Geography
A Maths
B Chemistry
B English Lang
B English Lit
B RE
D Graphics
D German

I've heard that Business Studies isn't regarded as a 'Soft' A-Level but I don't want to overload myself with work. Any advice?

I wouldnt do business studies AND economics. Apparently quite a few unis dont like people taking both. So id get rid of business studies and keep economics. Maths is a good choice. So is physics.
Id choose something else instead of business studies.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
I wouldnt do business studies AND economics. Apparently quite a few unis dont like people taking both. So id get rid of business studies and keep economics. Maths is a good choice. So is physics.
Id choose something else instead of business studies.

Alright I'll take that into account thanks :smile:
I agree, I know it seems like a good option but unis aren't keen on people doing economics and business studies as the content overlaps. I would drop business studies for another subject you enjoy, perhaps even further maths if your school offers it.
Original post by JAMllE
Alright I'll take that into account thanks :smile:

What other subjects would you consider taking instead?
Reply 5
Like has been said drop business. Maths and physics go really well together but I found physics AS really dull so be warned. Might want to try and get another subject that is similar to econ maybe geography or politics, that way they complement each other.
Reply 6
What other subjects would you consider taking instead?

I'm really not sure. Perhaps ICT or Geography.
Original post by JAMllE
I'm really not sure. Perhaps ICT or Geography.

Geography is good. I did it and would certainly recommend it. I found it really interesting. Plus its quite a respected subject.
I did ICT as well. Its ok, but i found it really boring and tedious.
Reply 8
Geography is good. I did it and would certainly recommend it. I found it really interesting. Plus its quite a respected subject.
I did ICT as well. Its ok, but i found it really boring and tedious.

After looking at all of the courses that my preferred college offers I am now considering taking Psychology as my fourth option. Do you know anyone who has done it? If so, did they enjoy it?
Original post by JAMllE
After looking at all of the courses that my preferred college offers I am now considering taking Psychology as my fourth option. Do you know anyone who has done it? If so, did they enjoy it?

I knew quite a few at my old 6th form who took it. From what they said, they seemed to enjoy it, and found it quite interesting. From what i heard there was quite a lot of stuff to remember though.
I picked:
maths
physics
economics
chemistry

and I want to go down the same kind of root at you, it might be a good idea to take somthing instead of business if you decide not to take a business root as it will give mor elf a chance in other areas of work

what you learn in business can be taught in a couple of hours by yourself, challenge yourself :smile: you can always drop one by the end of the year on concentrate on the other three, it's common for people to do that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest