The Student Room Group

Coping with Oxbridge rejection

Scroll to see replies

Original post by binarythoughts
You go there?

No, but it's bette than King's
No need to be down about it: most Oxbridge "rejects" go on to do amazingly at other universities. They have a great time there, make loads of friends and wonder why they were so down about not getting into Oxbridge in the first place.

Go forward with confidence: the world is your oyster! :smile:
Original post by Jay Smith
Direct your question.

:rolleyes: Anyone who has said that they had no intention of going to OxBridge yet went thru the process...
Reply 43
Original post by JamjamjamT
:rolleyes: Anyone who has said that they had no intention of going to OxBridge yet went thru the process...

I don't believe anyone on this thread has said that.
How are you getting on after being rejected?
Feeling pretty low about it myself at the minute, so would like to hear other people's thoughts!
Feel free to post your plans and discuss etc :smile:

Not great. I really wanted to study there, my other choices don't seem to compare now.
I've stopped moping and started working properly again though.I need to work hard and see if I can get into Bath or Warwick.

If I get rejected from those too I don't know what I'll do.
Original post by Bude8
I'm perfectly fine, I never really wanted to go in the first place :dontknow: It's definitely not the end of the world, and I don't think wasting time on negativity thinking about rejection is a wise thing to do - I've firmed Bath (it's my ONLY choice :lol:) so I'm very hyped for it :cool: Just think about how good your other universities are!

This person.

Original post by Bude8
Just to Cambridge and Bath, although I only wanted to have the Cambridge interview for fun and never had the intention of accepting the offer, even if I got one, and my parents also wanted me to apply. I got 6 A*s, 5As for my GCSEs and an A in Admaths. I'm currently an IB student, predicted 43/45 with 777 in HL Maths, Chemistry and Physics. No work experience; it's not too important.

There you go.
Reply 47
There you go.

There's your reason then. He wanted to go through the process to have fun. Happy?
Original post by powelsmartin
I have offers from both Oxford and LSE and I'm deciding between them right now. I am seriously inclined towards LSE, but as you have said, people are pressuring me towards Oxford. That said, it is my school (to look good for Ofsted) and friends who in my opinion don't know any better. My bosses and employers during my summer work experiences all unanimously agree that LSE is better so I'm 99.9% sure I will firm them. But I applied to Oxford to have this choice and to see whether it was right for me.

My post was not aimed at you mate. I have read your story in the LSE section. I chose to apply to LSE and 4 other top Universities because I did not wish to waste a choice on OxBridge. I have two offers (UCL & Bristol) and I am waiting for LSE & Bath to get back to me.
Hello! Not to rub salt into a potential wound or anything, but I'm 99.9% sure I'll choose LSE over Oxford. It is just a much better place - better employment prospects, more interesting course content, LONDON (where you can actually have fun and do interesting things during your studies while having free time) and, surprisingly enough, it turns out to be the cheaper option. I can go on and on about this (check my previous posts if you don't believe me) but life would have been so much easier with a rejection! I mean everything points to LSE but quite a few people are trying to convince me that Oxford is better. I believe this is only because of its historical reputation and that it has become part of the English culture and people are reluctant to admit that a powerhouse such as LSE is eclipsing one of the traditional symbols of British education,

I was of your exact mindset when I was still in the running for both. Now, with the Oxford PPE rejection, I realise that I would have picked Oxford any time, even though I am an international student. This sentiment is based completely on emotional grounds as, when it comes to decisions concerning Oxford, reasoning often comes second.
My post was not aimed at you mate. I have read your story in the LSE section. I chose to apply to LSE and 4 other top Universities because I did not wish to waste a choice on OxBridge. I have two offers (UCL & Bristol) and I am waiting for LSE & Bath to get back to me.

Ah, alright! Congratulations on those two and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's your reason then. He wanted to go through the process to have fun. Happy?

Spectacularly...:biggrin:
I think he is able to answer my question of his own accord as well :wink:
Spectacularly...:biggrin:
I think he is able to answer my question of his own accord as well :wink:

Yes, I applied for fun - to see what they're like and to see what I could learn from them, had no intention of going (I don't even want to study Natural Sciences...)
Original post by philerus
I was of your exact mindset when I was still in the running for both. Now, with the Oxford PPE rejection, I realise that I would have picked Oxford any time, even though I am an international student. This sentiment is based completely on emotional grounds as, when it comes to decisions concerning Oxford, reasoning often comes second.

Yes, I see where that is coming from! No offense, but I wish I were you right now! LSE is just such an obvious choice right now and I wish there weren't all that hype over Oxbridge... Even though this hype is not shared by the people who actually matter.

If you're having trouble getting over it I would be glad to share my reasons with you although I believe reading through my previous posts would ensure I don't miss anything this time round - I feel as if I have spent all day debating this issue!

What course have you applied for? You never know, we might be classmates in autumn!
Yes, I see where that is coming from! No offense, but I wish I were you right now! LSE is just such an obvious choice right now and I wish there weren't all that hype over Oxbridge... Even though this hype is not shared by the people who actually matter.

If you're having trouble getting over it I would be glad to share my reasons with you although I believe reading through my previous posts would ensure I don't miss anything this time round - I feel as if I have spent all day debating this issue!

What course have you applied for? You never know, we might be classmates in autumn!

Haha, as cheesy as it sounds, I wish I were you! I have read your post in the LSE thread so there is no need for you to repeat youself, and I have to say that every single point you made mirrored my own reasoning at the time of application. When I initially applied in September, and throughout all my university deliberation over the summer before that, LSE had been my number one choice and I was more than 80% certain I would choose it over Oxford. However, starting with the TSA prep and then onto the interview shortlisting stage, Oxford engulfed my mind and it was the only place I saw myself going to, which I believe is another point you made.

My offer is for Government and Economics. How about you? Also, what College has offered you a place in Oxford?
Haha, as cheesy as it sounds, I wish I were you! I have read your post in the LSE thread so there is no need for you to repeat youself, and I have to say that every single point you made mirrored my own reasoning at the time of application. When I initially applied in September, and throughout all my university deliberation over the summer before that, LSE had been my number one choice and I was more than 80% certain I would choose it over Oxford. However, starting with the TSA prep and then onto the interview shortlisting stage, Oxford engulfed my mind and it was the only place I saw myself going to, which I believe is another point you made.

My offer is for Government and Economics. How about you? Also, what College has offered you a place in Oxford?

I feel you mate - as you said, I did indeed mention it! I'm trying to make a sober decision here and honestly I feel that Oxford placed all these hurdles just to make it harder to see them at face value and so ensure that their reputation is maintained.

Ah, philosophy and economics, close enough! My offer is from Oriel - I got reallocated pre-interview but I'm happy that I was! Where did you apply?
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel you man - as you said, I did indeed mention it! I'm trying to make a sober decision here and honestly I feel that Oxford placed all these hurdles just to make it harder to see them at face value and so ensure that their reputation is maintained.

Ah, philosophy and economics, close enough! My offer is from Oriel - I got reallocated pre-interview but I'm happy that I was! Where did you apply?

Where had you initially applied? I had applied to Brasenose, but was reallocated to Corpus Christi.
(edited 9 years ago)
Where had you initially applied? I had applied to Brasenose, but was reallocated to Corpus Christi.

Merton - my girlfriend wanted us to apply to the same college so I let her choose it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Merton - my girlfriend wanted us to apply to the same college so I let her choose it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, thats the college I realised I should have applied to once I had already submitted my application? Did she get in, if you don't mind me asking?

And I think that, should you decide to go to the LSE, we will be coursemates for half our modules. I'll probably be attending a few philosophy lectures too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending