The Student Room Group

Integration by substitution

I'm rubbish at integration by substitution and I just can't get it right! Plus I can't figure out how I've gone wrong either, if someone can figure out where I've gone wrong with this question please (I'll post my working from my phone now)

(Integrate) 1/(cos^2x)(1+2tanx)^2 when u=1+2tanx

Spoiler

Reply 1
Reply 2

1/u2 does not integrate to lnu
Instead of writing what dx is equal to, write it as what du is equal to
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
1/u2 does not integrate to lnu

Is that where I've gone wrong then? Is it better to take 1/2 out the integral and integrate u^-2?
Reply 5
Original post by mica-lwe
Is that where I've gone wrong then? Is it better to take 1/2 out the integral and integrate u^-2?

sure

then you are one step from the required answer
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
sure

then you are one step from the required answer

thankyou! Have no idea why I struggle with substitution when there's harder stuff on the paper :colondollar:
Reply 7
thankyou! Have no idea why I struggle with substitution when there's harder stuff on the paper :colondollar:

practice
if this fails try practice
and as a back up technique try practice...

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/integration_definite_mixed_up.pdf

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/integration/integration_structured_exam_questions_part_i.pdf
Reply 9
I'll try these, thanks!:biggrin:

long download time but full solutions

all the best
Reply 10
hi,

Your solution makes a good start... it is fine until the line =1/2 1/(u^2) du

keep the half outside the integral sign to simplify things; then 1/(u^2) is the same as u^(-2) because the reciprocal of a number makes the power negative and:

u^(-2) du = -1/u +c as you divide by the power then add one to it ...don't forget the constant (c).

so... 1/2 u^(-2) du = -1/2u +c and you can just swap u for the substitution you made at the start.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest