The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Charlotte15
True, however the mum who was raped had no choice of whether to have sex whereas the one night stand person choose to and therefore, they should face the consequences of their actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is such a ridiculous view though, did you ever think that having an abortion and deciding that in fact it would not be a good idea to go through with a pregnancy you cannot afford, or to bear a child you do not want and may not love is in fact taking responsibility for one's actions?
And I know you're going to bring up the "they could put it up for adoption". For one the adoption system certainly isn't perfect, and there will most likely always be children who never get adopted. Then there is then the problem of what is the woman decides to continue on with pregnancy so she can give up her baby for adoption so it can go to a loving home, but then once the babies born the old hormones start kicking in, the woman gets attached decides to keep the baby and then what if that woman does not have the proper means to give that child the upbringing it deserves or needs? She can't afford to give it a good child hood but was too selfish to give it away to someone who could, she may become neglectful and regret her decision to keep the baby ect.

Deciding to have an abortion is not avoiding ones responsibility, it is not something most women take lightly. And often it is the best decision for them, and the most responsible one they could have taken.

And that's not even getting into how unethical it is to force a woman to go through a pregnancy to carry a child she does not want, it's not even like it's something that doesn't have risks. There are so many risks with pregnancy and childbirth that can stay with that woman for life, both physical and psychological risks. You might want to look into those before you decide women should be forced to carry an foetus they don't want. No one should be forced through that, just because some people think they're "taking the easy way out" by having an abortion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by slg60
Yes, I think what I was trying to suggest was that the psychological affects would be just as damaging on the babe irrespective of whether the mother just did not want it or whether she was raped, the child would not be loved either way.

Yes, true it's a hard topic to argue because there's so many different opinions of it. I just disagree with the fact that a baby is killed in the process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
That is such a ridiculous view though, did you ever think that having an abortion and deciding that in fact it would not be a good idea to go through with a pregnancy you cannot afford, or to bear a child you do not want and may not love is in fact taking responsibility for one's actions? And I know you're going to bring up the "they could put it up for adoption". For one the adoption system certainly isn't perfect, and there will most likely always be children who never get adopted. Another thing of that is, there is then the problem of women decides to continue on with pregnancy so they can give up their baby for adoption so it can go to a loving home, but then once the babies born the old hormones start kicking in, the woman gets attached decided to keep the baby and then what if that women does not have the proper means to give that child the upbringing it deserves? She can't afford to give it a good child hood but was too selfish to give it away to someone who could, she may become neglectful and regret her decision to keep the baby ect.

Deciding to have an abortion is not avoiding ones responsibility, it is not something most women take lightly. And often it is the best decision for them, and the most responsible one they could have taken.

And that's not even getting into how unethical it is to force a woman to go through a pregnancy to carry a child she does not want, it's not even like it's something that doesn't have risks. There are so many risks with pregnancy and childbirth that can stay with that woman for life. No one should be forced through that, just because some people think they're "taking the easy way out" by having an abortion.

It isn't a ridiculous view, it's my opinion your entitled to yours and I'll have mine thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't a ridiculous view, it's my opinion your entitled to yours and I'll have mine thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Judging by how quick you replied, I can tell you didn't even read the rest of the response explaining why it is a ridiculous view.
Judging by how quick you replied, I can tell you didn't even read the rest of the response explaining why it is a ridiculous view.

👍👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 685
I agree, but if these teens have sex had any intelligence they should be fully aware of the consequences of having it at such a young age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They obviously don't have the intelligence though!! During this time that we live in their is no excuse for teenage pregnancy, due to the availability of free contraception on the NHS. The only reason it happens is because of stupidity and ignorance of some teenagers who do not think about the consequences of their actions. And these are the people who I worry about being allowed to have children.
Original post by AstroNandos
Thank god negs no longer exist

Without getting myself banned, I'd say either religion has no place in modern Britain and STEM subjects on the whole are superior to non-STEM.

How have you come to the conclusion that stem subjects are "superior" to non-stem subjects? Also how can subjects be superior or inferior to each other? In what sence is essentially what I'm trying to get at.
Original post by slg60
Texas have the highest crime rate in the USA, incidentally one of the states with capital punishment- clearly it is not a very good deterrent.

In addition it cost more for the state to execute a citizen than it does to imprison them, food for thought?

Nope, not really.

I think violent sexual predators, child murderers and sadistic killers should be exterminated, perhaps the wording is a bit strong but I can't understand why the sentiment is so controversial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 688
Its called binge eating disorder, its already recognised. However its more than just being overweight or even obese.

I didn't say it wasn't recognised. But even binge eating disorder itself is considered controversial in the general population. Obese people face a lot of abuse compared to underweight people even though they may share aetiologies/triggers.

And i'm well aware that it's more than being overweight...:rolleyes:
Original post by TheTruthTeller
How have you come to the conclusion that stem subjects are "superior" to non-stem subjects? Also how can subjects be superior or inferior to each other? In what sence is essentially what I'm trying to get at.

I just think that, on the whole, STEM subjects contribute more to society than non-stem
Original post by Sarky
I didn't say it wasn't recognised. But even binge eating disorder itself is considered controversial in the general population. Obese people face a lot of abuse compared to underweight people even though they may share aetiologies/triggers.

And i'm well aware that it's more than being overweight...:rolleyes:

I do complete agree they get a lot more abuse for it, and binge eating disorder is often laughed at as "not being real" when it most certainly is.

It was just the way you said it, you just said "Extreme obesity is a spectrum of mental illness in the same way as anorexia." Which just made it seem you only meant being obese is a mental disorder in of itself, which you've now pointed out you already know is not the case.
Reply 691
I do complete agree they get a lot more abuse for it, and binge eating disorder is often laughed at as "not being real" when it most certainly is.

It was just the way you said it, you just said "Extreme obesity is a spectrum of mental illness in the same way as anorexia." Which just made it seem you only meant being obese is a mental disorder in of itself, which you've now pointed out you already know is not the case.

I specifically said extreme obesity because someone with a BMI of 26 may well just have an unhealthy diet without any mental health sequelae. That is unlikely to be the case in someone with a BMI of 50.
Original post by Sarky
I specifically said extreme obesity because someone with a BMI of 26 may well just have an unhealthy diet without any mental health sequelae. That is unlikely to be the case in someone with a BMI of 50.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the person. Even if someone has a BMI of 50 it doesn't necessarily mean they are suffering from binge eating disorder, some other mental health problem perhaps but not necessarily BED, which again is why I assumed you didn't know weight isn't the only factor for diagnosing BED. I apologise if I offended you, it was not my intention.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Asklepios
Homosexuality is pathological

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really... girls get excited with other girls amd many guys have if there man crush and the say "no homo"... that doesnt mean they r gay.. they choose not to. . Being gay is the minds fully aware decision. . Ita not pathological
Reply 694
Private education and healthcare should be illegal. Pretty radically left wing I know :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not your dear.

Well then if they're never allowed to walk free then that rules out the problem of re-offence from not rehabilitating them. The ones who will leave prison though you cannot logically argue that rehabilitation is not needed, and support once out prison to prevent re-offence.

In most cases rehabilitation is pointless and chances are they will re-offend regardless.
We cannot afford to babysit everyone.
Original post by study_smart786
Not really... girls get excited with other girls amd many guys have if there man crush and the say "no homo"... that doesnt mean they r gay.. they choose not to. . Being gay is the minds fully aware decision. . Ita not pathological

Utter nonsense
Original post by Sax123
Private education and healthcare should be illegal. Pretty radically left wing I know :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's an interesting viewpoint, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue_Mason
In most cases rehabilitation is pointless and chances are they will re-offend regardless.
We cannot afford to babysit everyone.

Oh really? I wonder why the Scandinavian countries, such as Norway have the lowest re offending rates? Maybe it's because their focus is on rehabilitation, less on barbaric punishments and actually treating the prisoners like human beings.

http://www.salve.edu/sites/default/files/filesfield/documents/Incarceration_and_Recidivism.pdf
Original post by morgan8002
Education should be better and exams should be harder.

I would agree on exams being harder if teachers would teach well as they should and to start from early age (starting from primary school).

Latest