The Student Room Group

How to best self teach s1 and s2

TIPS PLEASE? Is there enough time?
I did S1 last year, did really bad but my c1 and c2 were 90 ums plus so JUST got the A lol

I find stats a struggle I dont know why :frown:

Should I use the official book??
Wait, so are you taking S1 & S2 or C1 & C2?
What did you get in s1? Have you done an s2 mock? If you are doing AQA? I have found that the books help me. But to finalize my understanding I do past papers focusing on what the mark scheme wants. It is just a matter of getting used to using the formulas and being good with you calculator, well that is what I have found it may be different for you. What do you struggle with?
Reply 3
Past Papers... all of them... the stats questions are so often just repeated with new numbers! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Tilds1997
Wait, so are you taking S1 & S2 or C1 & C2?

I done C1 C2 S1 LAST YEAR
I am doing C3 C4 S1 S2 THIS YEAR :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by zetamcfc
What did you get in s1? Have you done an s2 mock? If you are doing AQA? I have found that the books help me. But to finalize my understanding I do past papers focusing on what the mark scheme wants. It is just a matter of getting used to using the formulas and being good with you calculator, well that is what I have found it may be different for you. What do you struggle with?

I am doing edexcel.
I don't really know, it just looks all complicated and wordy and stuff :colondollar:
Reply 6
Do you do physics? If so lots of the mechanics in maths is covered in physics particularly with edexcel so perhaps you could do M1 instead of S2? or do D1... it's more puzzles than maths?
Original post by Bob2222
Do you do physics? If so lots of the mechanics in maths is covered in physics particularly with edexcel so perhaps you could do M1 instead of S2? or do D1... it's more puzzles than maths?

LOL, totally agree with you about D1 :smile: Probably why I got my lowest grade in it :colondollar: . Also agree that M1 is pretty easy if you take physics (100 ums 72/75 :biggrin: )
Reply 8
LOL, totally agree with you about D1 :smile: Probably why I got my lowest grade in it :colondollar: . Also agree that M1 is pretty easy if you take physics (100 ums 72/75 :biggrin: )

Yeah when it comes to results day/marking mocks its interesting to see that the usual top mathematicians do not necessarily do the best in decision maths. It's a whole separate ball game, well done with the M1 easy or not if you're getting those grades you clearly know your stuff.
Wait can you redo AS modules you did bad on in order to improve your A level grade?
Thanks :tongue:. That seems to happen at my school, generally those who do reasonably well in core don't do so well in Decision/Discrete maths, just one of those things I guess.
Reply 11
Original post by games211
TIPS PLEASE? Is there enough time?
I did S1 last year, did really bad but my c1 and c2 were 90 ums plus so JUST got the A lol

I find stats a struggle I dont know why :frown:

Should I use the official book??

Examsolutions.com

Hegartymaths on youtube

Past papers

Official textbooks

^^ these resources will help you tonnes and can assure you with the right amount of effort will get you the grades you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B.Carmine
Wait can you redo AS modules you did bad on in order to improve your A level grade?

Yes atm, but i'm not sure how it will change with the new A-levels.
Yes atm, but i'm not sure how it will change with the new A-levels.

Well i'm currently doing AS so i wouldn't say the linear A level change would affect me,
Original post by games211
I am doing edexcel.
I don't really know, it just looks all complicated and wordy and stuff :colondollar:

I would go through the papers highlighting what you need to pick out of the questions. Then look for these phrases in future questions to help you answer them.

Quick Reply

Latest