The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

i want to be a feminist but i'm conflicted.

i want women to have equal rights and be a feminist, but there are some women that I follow on twitter, and theyre quite mean about men, how do I avoid getting upset and sad about it whilst continuing to be a feminist or feminist ally?

Scroll to see replies

My problem with feminism is the word feminism, surely it should be a gender neutral word if the goal is equality. But anyway, you should continue calling yourself a feminist because they don't represent your idea of feminism.
Reply 2
Original post by shuheb789
My problem with feminism is the word feminism, surely it should be a gender neutral word if the goal is equality. But anyway, you should continue calling yourself a feminist because they don't represent your idea of feminism.

I'm still a feminist, so please don't insult feminism whilst i'm aound.
Don't be a feminist. Believe in gender equality instead.
Original post by damoni
I'm still a feminist, so please don't insult feminism whilst i'm aound.

I don't see how I've insulted it, I have no problem with what it stands for, just the word 'feminism' itself.
This is what clinches me not calling myself a feminist beyond anything else.

Feminism is a concept, not a tangible thing. You can't go out and get me a feminism. Concepts are fluid things, and can't be bound accurately by any single definition - instead they just tangle of associations, and personal experiences redefine the concept for the individual. In my personal experience women proclaiming themselves to be feminists seem to be more focused on man-hating than gender equality. Thus as much as I support the notion of gender equality, I don't want to associate myself with the concept of feminism.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by KingStannis
Don't be a feminist. Believe in gender equality instead.

Original post by shuheb789
I don't see how I've insulted it, I have no problem with what it stands for, just the word 'feminism' itself.

i'm sorry guys, but I think the people I follow on twitter are right, this is just your male privilege talking. don't worry, I used to think that way too, now I've matured, I see the way things are.
The word 'feminist' has come to have connotations other than it originally held, so if you want to avoid those, I'd stick with egalitarian instead.
Original post by damoni
i'm sorry guys, but I think the people I follow on twitter are right, this is just your male privilege talking. don't worry, I used to think that way too, now I've matured, I see the way things are.

Don't turn this into a troll thread please.
Reply 9
There's no one type of feminism, it's a diverse and occasionally conflicted movement. Sometimes what's empowering for one feminist is degrading for another. As long as your belief is gender equality you should keep the name feminist. And if you happen to disagree with another feminist, either explain why and debate, or simply ignore them. Keep that gender equality train a'rolling.
There's extremes with everything. Some people like banana's, some people LOVE banana's and some people go banana's.

Point is, you can like bananas without going banana's. Not wanting to go banana's doesn't mean you can't have a banana.
Reply 11
Original post by damoni

My troll sense is tingling!
Don't be a feminist, be an humanitarian or equalist.

I'm an anti-feminist but still want equal right between the sexes. If you disagree with man hating or man 'bashing' within feminism it basically means you oppose radical, academic and the media represented feminism (aka all feminist's with voices in public). I would drop the term.
Original post by damoni

Please, engage with feminist ideas critically. They're not remotely plausible when you think them through. Separate your principled support for gender equality, and impartially analyse the arguments ON THE SUBJECT OF (ie, not reading them as arguments for the idea that equality is good) equality that feminism puts forward. That is the advice I will give you.
Original post by damoni

You're entitled to your opinion so whatever.
Reply 15
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Don't turn this into a troll thread please.

Original post by jf1994
My troll sense is tingling!

guys, if you had said about egalitarians to the women I follow on twitter, you'd be the troll. and then laughed out. so basically, tomatoes and tomatos.
Original post by Izzyeviel
There's extremes with everything. Some people like banana's, some people LOVE banana's and some people go banana's.

Point is, you can like bananas without going banana's. Not wanting to go banana's doesn't mean you can't have a banana.

Original post by Lwin
There's no one type of feminism, it's a diverse and occasionally conflicted movement. Sometimes what's empowering for one feminist is degrading for another. As long as your belief is gender equality you should keep the name feminist. And if you happen to disagree with another feminist, either explain why and debate, or simply ignore them. Keep that gender equality train a'rolling.

would they be okay with me disagreeing?
Original post by jumblehunter
This is what clinches me not calling myself a feminist beyond anything else.

Feminism is a concept, not a tangible thing. You can't go out and get me a feminism. Concepts are fluid things, and can't be bound accurately by any single definition - instead they just tangle of associations, and personal experiences redefine the concept for the individual. In my personal experience women proclaiming themselves to be feminists seem to be more focused on man-hating than gender equality. Thus as much as I support the notion of gender equality, I don't want to associate myself with the concept of feminism.

I hope that is not true, I don't want to be hated.
The word 'feminist' has come to have connotations other than it originally held, so if you want to avoid those, I'd stick with egalitarian instead.

i'm afraid I am a feminist/ feminist ally.
Reply 16
and, despite the fact i'll be labelled a troll, I think this shows how hard it can be for feminists to get their point across, to have their views heard on a online forum, dominated mainly by males.

To me the word 'egalitarian' has just many negative connotations also. Mainly of frustrated men who see feminists as the enemy and women who think because they have been successful that there are no barriers to other women doing the same.

For what it's worth I'm an anarchist, which pretty much automatically makes me a feminist also (illegitimate hierarchy based on gender) so the whole thing is pretty simple for me.
Original post by damoni
and, despite the fact i'll be labelled a troll, I think this shows how hard it can be for feminists to get their point across, to have their views heard on a online forum, dominated mainly by males.

:confused::confused:

If you only wanted women to reply you should've said. Would've saved me typing up that awful banana analogy.
Reply 19
i'll admit though, I don't want to feel like i'm betraying my gender by being a feminist and I don't want to feel i'm betraying feminists by being a eglatarian.

so either way , I cant win, can I?

Latest

Trending

Trending