The Student Room Group

Office or Google Docs?

I am considering the student offer for Office, but Google Docs is free! As a computing student, will I benefit from office? What are the pros and cons?
I've used Docs almost exclusively for the last few years, it has the level of functionality I need and the ease of sharing has been majorly helpful.

Start of with Docs and other free suites like OpenOffice, then if you ever keep finding yourself thinking "Crap, I really need to do that thing that only Microsoft Office lets you do" you can get a copy then :yy:
Original post by gandall
I am considering the student offer for Office, but Google Docs is free! As a computing student, will I benefit from office? What are the pros and cons?

Get Libre Office. It does everything Office does, even opens office documents, but it's free. It's the new version of OpenOffice.
Reply 3
I keep thinking it would be awesome to have the full office but do I need it? :P I would like it but I will do this and see if I need it :smile:
I got office for free, powerpoints rule!!!

But other than that, openoffice or whatever will do. I've used both and I prefer Office, but its personal preference really.
It depends. If you need compatibility because your university does everything the Microsoft way then you're best off going with the Office 365 subscription for 4 years. If you can use whatever you like then go with either Google Docs or LibreOffice and something like Dropbox.
Original post by jammy4041
Get Libre Office. It does everything Office does, even opens office documents, but it's free. It's the new version of OpenOffice.

Such an ugly interface though ): WPS Office is the only free MS Office alternative that has a decent modern interface but it's awful.
Microsoft Office because of its rich functionality and the fact that it is pretty much the standard for office suites. Also, Microsoft with Windows 10 are releasing a free office suite built into Windows 10 that includes Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote and I think Outlook. They're universal versions of the apps so nobody has an excuse not to use it really. Google Drive and Docs are far too basic and feature bare for me to give a heck whilst LibreOffice and OpenOffice have remained the same useless junk for years
Office Online is worth considering too, it's completely free, and built by Microsoft so won't have any compatibility issues.

www.office.live.com
Original post by gandall

Office is a billion times better, Google Docs is basic at best but then it's free so what you expect?

Just get Office.
Reply 10
If you get Office you probably will not use (or even be aware of) 99% of its functionality - so just go with Google Docs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending