The Student Room Group

unwritten rules of the london underground??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prettyGirl101
haha lived in london for the majority of my life. whats it called? :rofl:

Lmfao wot.. it's an oyster card reader :hide: beep thing smh.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Lmfao wot.. it's an oyster card reader :hide: beep thing smh.

loooooooooooooooooool oh my. i so knew that
Original post by rosebud114
Hold on quickly before the tube moves or you will FALL ON THE TUBE FLOOR!

This
Don't call the tube the subway. I learned this my first week lol. Also don't delay going through the gate. People will kill you. Move down the tube don't just all crowd round the door.
Don't dawdle in front of the gates trying to find your ticket. I find this most annoying when I'm in a hurry and I'm behind somebody that looks like they'll just swipe and go through and instead spend five minutes riffling through their pocket for a ticket.
Once seated you should close your eyes and pretend you're asleep.
Oh real question, how do people fare jump on the tube? Just asking because bar a few stations I swear you have to go through the gates and there's usually TFL staff everywhere, do people just literally actually jump over them?
I can understand it's easier on the Paris metro because most of the time there's actual turnstiles and not a lot of staff so it's easier to actually jump/crawl under and also most of the time if you have paper metro tickets and not a Navigo you don't need a ticket to get out of the station so that's covered. It just seems harder in London because you generally need a ticket to go and leave the station.
Reply 47
Original post by Drewski
Especially if you're Brazilian.

Deserved more recognition.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Mate :erm

Too soon?
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
Oh real question, how do people fare jump on the tube? Just asking because bar a few stations I swear you have to go through the gates and there's usually TFL staff everywhere, do people just literally actually jump over them?
I can understand it's easier on the Paris metro because most of the time there's actual turnstiles and not a lot of staff so it's easier to actually jump/crawl under and also most of the time if you have paper metro tickets and not a Navigo you don't need a ticket to get out of the station so that's covered. It just seems harder in London because you generally need a ticket to go and leave the station.

They walk through the gate directly behind somebody who has paid.

Here's a big one for me: if you don't have enough money on your oyster, or think it may not scan properly then wait for the person ahead to actually get through the gate. The slam on the gates in harder than necessary and they're always dirty. Nothing annoys me as much.

Also, try and walk as if you are driving. Check your blind spots, don't cut blind corners, don't sit in the fast lane, leave space for others to merge.

If the train is packed, and you are one of the 3-4 people closest to the door just get off at the stop, let people off, then get back on. It makes it SO much easier.
Reply 50
Original post by james1211
Not paying is acceptable.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the Oyster card can detect an unfinished journey and will automatically take the fare out lol
Reply 51
Don't dawdle in front of the gates trying to find your ticket. I find this most annoying when I'm in a hurry and I'm behind somebody that looks like they'll just swipe and go through and instead spend five minutes riffling through their pocket for a ticket.

This. Get your **** together, you know whats coming.

Oh and read your own Metro/Evening Standard. They're free you know!
Don't jump in front of an incoming train because it just causes inconvenience to everyone .
You're the coolest one there if you ride the train like a surfboard...not holding anything :wink:

The reader uses IR to check if someone has gone past before closing the gates. If you place your hand on one of them it thinks the person in front (who paid) hasn't gone through and keeps the gate open for you to walk through.
Or if you know your destination doesn't have the gates (or keeps them open) you could touch in and out at same station as you walk by.
Original post by Ndella
I'm pretty sure the Oyster card can detect an unfinished journey and will automatically take the fare out lol

If your oyster isn't checked out at the end of the journey after a certain time, you will be charged an expensive fine - that's why at one station I used to commute to and from, even though they did not operate the gates (night entrance/exit) you would have to still touch out - got caught out when I was first doing it, and it was an expensive lesson to learn!
Original post by ExMus
You're the coolest one there if you ride the train like a surfboard...not holding anything :wink:

I do this regularly and I look around like :smug:to see if anyone's acknowledged my achievement.

It's never acceptable to laugh if your by yourself know matter how funny whatever's on your phone. Apparently it's just weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
protip: take it off, put it on the floor in front of you, and use it to guard your personal space against potential intruders. This works particularly well if you can occupy a corner.

(It is pretty annoying if you keep it on when it's packed anyway.)

I tried but then people gave me annoyed looks for taking up room on the floor! I should have walked instead of getting the tube . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was down there today actually

Running in between stops and to catch the train is a MUST.

and you've got to give a big glare to the person who has there bag trapped in the doors!
Reply 59
You must not look at or read other people's papers, otherwise they will get offended and you will get weird looks from them.

I saw someone staring at someone else's paper (I believe it was a Metro), and I don't know why he was getting so defensive and frustrated (rolling eyes, giving stares, trying to close the paper sufficiently to block the other person off from reading). It was as if his paper was his vulnerable child being stared at by a paedophile. People get so defensive about petty things like this and I don't know why. So avoid confrontations and don't do it.

Quick Reply

Latest