The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

What other universities did you apply too?
Original post by Elcor
Not sure he can help that. There's a correlation (N.B. not a causation) between mathematical ability and difficulty in communicating. He's probably on the autistic spectrum.

His English is fine, but it wouldn't take a minute or so to read through what you're about to post and make sure it's not so... lengthy.
Which college?
Reply 63
Your parents stopped working and you didn't get a refund?

Spoiler

Original post by Dalek1099
My mam quit work to become a mother then became mentally ill and then got took off Disability Living Allowance by the ATOS tests and then she went on JSA and then she was a carer for her mam and got Carer's Allowance but she died over two years ago and she went back on JSA and in one interview she was asked when she last worked and she said August 1986 and they wanted her to have worked recently.

My dad stopped working in 1984 I think due to mental illness and since then he divorced my mam and married another woman who gets money through her solicitor(something her rich parents set up I think) and through shares and stuff they don't really get that much each year and usually spend it too quickly but he still gets some disability payments and is applying for some sort of pension credits he is 64 now.

I am not sure about my career aspiration but I am interested in Meteorology/ doing pure maths research I want to solve some juicy maths equations.I have always been very talented at academia since I was a child and I am motivated by my obsession with academia, my love of Maths and the fact that I really want to get better grades than everyone else.

Seems you had a tough upbringing. The attention was hardly focused on you and so you turned to working hard in academia to get some. Your obsession with academia and the success of your achievements has made you arrogant, unafraid to say things that are charged with irrationality. Try to stop viewing yourself as a mortal god because you have a couple of A*s. After a while, your academic achievements will not be as admired and you'll have nothing else to make you feel good.
How do you plan to use your degree? Congrats on the offer. :smile:
Reply 66
I have some very controversial opinions and I'm not afraid to speak them and a lot of it has to do with people not liking my obsession with academia and that B grades aren't very good at GCSE.

Nobody over the age of 20 cares.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Reply 67
Curious: I got a B in GCSE Maths, and a C in GCSE Additional Maths. In your book, does that make me an idiot?
I have some very controversial opinions and I'm not afraid to speak them and a lot of it has to do with people not liking my obsession with academia and that B grades aren't very good at GCSE.

I really respect you for this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
Do you feel that you come across as arrogant at all?

And what is so bad about being proud of getting an offer from Cambridge? How does that make one arrogant when it is an amazing achievement? You do know that most who apply get rejected, right? And it is one of the most competitive and prestigious universities in the world? :rolleyes:
Original post by CJKay
I have never heard of year 10 work experience.

Even though it is pretty much universal? :rolleyes:
Original post by BCMFM16
I agree. On the first GCSE chat thread someone asked him if he would share his notes. He then replied saying no which lead the other user called him selfish. Then right after he wrote a full essay on his life successes etc which started off with "Do you not know who I am?!"

You do realise that he probably did this because he felt insecure about his achievements and the other person probably struck a nerve? Some people feel the need to justify their worth to themselves and others because deep down, underneath that thin layer of arrogance, lies a feeling of utter despair and worthlessness...
Reply 72
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Even though it is pretty much universal? :rolleyes:

Before this thread I'd never heard of work experience in Year 10. Maybe it's a thing in schools in England, but it's not here in Northern Ireland.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Seems you had a tough upbringing. The attention was hardly focused on you and so you turned to working hard in academia to get some. Your obsession with academia and the success of your achievements has made you arrogant, unafraid to say things that are charged with irrationality. Try to stop viewing yourself as a mortal god because you have a couple of A*s. After a while, your academic achievements will not be as admired and you'll have nothing else to make you feel good.

What a completely insensitive thing to say. You do realise that some people cling to their work because it's the only real sense of self worth and satisfaction they can get out of life?
Original post by Asexual Demigod
What a completely insensitive thing to say. You do realise that some people cling to their work because it's the only real sense of self worth and satisfaction they can get out of life?

Well, I'm sorry if it came off that way but unfortunate circumstances doesn't permit the dehumaisation of people who haven't achieved the same grades (OP compared less academically successful people to animals). Same rule applies to those who are insecure about themselves as it cancels out any common sense.

If that's the case I feel deeply sorry for them. It's been said to death but there really is more to life than just A-grades and the OP will find that out soon enough. I wish him well at Cambridge nonetheless.
Original post by Chlorophile
Academia isn't a part of the real world? I can't think of anything more real than the people who study reality...

What about the people that create reality.

People who do well in academia and get a good degree classification at a good university get paid a higher salary compared than those who don't on average, therefore academia is obviously a good demonstration of potential.

Non sequitur.

Businesses place value on degree performance. That doesn't mean academic performance is a good indicator of potential, it just means that businesses use it as one. The reason that they do this is that it's a cheap way to filter applicants before interview. If businesses had the resources to put every applicant in an assessment centre they would probably be able to make smarter hiring decisions, but they don't.
Original post by TurboCretin
What about the people that create reality.

Where do the engineers get their principles and understanding from in the first place? Exactly.
Original post by Chlorophile
Where do the engineers get their principles and understanding from in the first place? Exactly.

What's your point?

Physicists do the math, engineers put it into practice. I don't see how the academics' work is more 'real' than what the engineers do.
AMA

Hi Dalek, congratulations on your Cambridge offer!

You did Geography AS AQA according to your profile:

Geography 1-118(A)

Geography 2-54(A)

I finished the full A-Level last year (got a B
:colondollar:)

I am a few marks away from an A, so will be resitting Geography Unit 2.

My Geography Unit 1 was actually slightly higher than yours, but my Unit 2 is on the C/B boundary. I need a high B to get the A. For some reason I really struggle with this paper (only Geography paper I got a C in).
:s-smilie:

Do you have any advice in particular? Did you just just make lots of fieldwork notes and look at different graphs/statistical tests?

I know you've probably forgotten most of it as it was a while ago, but any tips/advice you can remember will help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest