The Student Room Group

Do people at uni judge you from your facebook profile?

I start uni in September and I am hoping it is a time to reinvent myself and be different to how I am now. Currently I have no social life and rarely see any friends outside of college. This is because I had anorexia and other issues that caused me to be depressed so anytime a friend asked me to go out I made an excuse. Because of this my Facebook profile is practically empty. There are only about 3 photos on and I never actually post anything.

When I go to uni I want to change and have a social life etc, but I am worried that people will check my Facebook profile and think that I am boring since there is nothing on and so they won't really talk to me or invite me on nights out.
How much will people at uni judge me on my Facebook profile?
delete/ delete it and start again?
highly doubt anyones gonna judge u tho- just say you aren't really that interested in facebook
It's always nice to beef up your social media before meeting new people - as the reality is people will have a little nose around.

I wouldn't say that people judge you from your social media - unless you're a promoter or someone who posts Buzzfeed links every day :rolleyes:

During freshers is when you make or break yourself really. If you want to 'reinvent' yourself, then I'd be going out a lot on freshers - be that on nights out or even just freshers events that don't include drinking - and being really sociable. :party: :woo:

My auntie has always said that the first thing you need to do, when moving into halls or your first house at uni, is take a crate of beer. Put some in the fridge and some holding your door open as then you'll be seen to be social. :h:

I take it that you're up for drinking as you've said that you want to be invited out for nights out. There are loads of societies and events during freshers that don't involve drinking though, your Facebook profile will definitely start filling up from September!

:smile:

-RF
Original post by hdaindak
delete/ delete it and start again?
highly doubt anyones gonna judge u tho- just say you aren't really that interested in facebook

Then they'd judge you for that. I hate society.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Then they'd judge you for that. I hate society.

nah the opposite- tbh the only people i think are sad are people who spend all their time online- especially when it involves posting loads of pictures of themselves. it's really pathetic..
noones gonna think you're sad for actually having a life outside of the internet
nah the opposite- tbh the only people i think are sad are people who spend all their time online- especially when it involves posting loads of pictures of themselves. it's really pathetic..
noones gonna think you're sad for actually having a life outside of the internet

People who spend all their time on the internet will. :P
Original post by Asexual Demigod
People who spend all their time on the internet will. :P

yeah but they have no life lol
yeah but they have no life lol

I have a life! :unimpressed:

Let's keep on topic though. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I very rarely went out back home due to illness and so my facebook was pretty empty, I'm now in my first year at Uni and get asked on nights out regularly. My advice would be to join a few societies (they always have socials where you can meet new people with similar interests) and try to go out during freshers. During the first few weeks everyone is looking for new friends, so take people up on offers to get a coffee or go out and I'm sure you'll make some great friends :smile: Also, if you join a society you'll most likely meet people face to face before you add them on facebook, so they'll already know you want to go out and wont be put off by you account.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending